Help! Breaking Flywheels on a 4.0 Explorer

Boost-n-Juice

My buddy has this 4.0l Explorer 4x4 auto and it keeps breaking flywheels! It's just a daily driver and is stock, no big horspower or anything. We went to put a new fly wheel in it, bolted everything up and the now the damn thing won't even turn over. I mean we put a breaker bar on the crank and you can't turn the motor over, so we unbolted the tranny and then every thing turns over...WTF! U^$$^@#%^@&*^@#R%*(^) sorry...Any ideas?

BC

That is strange. I'm gonna guess that it's your torque converter.. I know when I've had them go out they just slip. But I'm not sure what else could be causing this besides that. Maybe someone else has had this problem before :confused:

Guest 1bad66duece
Originally posted by BC:

My buddy has this 4.0l Explorer 4x4 auto and it keeps breaking flywheels! It's just a daily driver and is stock, no big horspower or anything. We went to put a new fly wheel in it, bolted everything up and the now the damn thing won't even turn over. I mean we put a breaker bar on the crank and you can't turn the motor over, so we unbolted the tranny and then every thing turns over...WTF! U^$$^@#%^@&*^@#R%*(^) sorry...Any ideas?

BC

check to make sure the dial pins are in the block to solve the flywheel breaking.the new flywheel has 1 of 3 problems,flywheel on backwards,"most likly" the conv fell out 1 click that is why you engine will not turn over now.or you could possibly have the wrong bolts in the flexplate.

ok...the insides of the torque converter move around...I mean you can shake them around and if you put the lock up shaft into the converter you can turn the insides??? Should you be able to do that? Isn't that how it locks up? Now that I think about it his trans never locked in OD...just rev'd up and down....hmmmm

*** oh, and it is a flexplate

Guest 1bad66duece
Originally posted by BC:

ok...the insides of the torque converter move around...I mean you can shake them around and if you put the lock up shaft into the converter you can turn the insides??? Should you be able to do that? Isn't that how it locks up? Now that I think about it his trans never locked in OD...just rev'd up and down....hmmmm

*** oh, and it is a flexplate

the inside of the converter has to spin,the faster it turns the more pressure it makes to make the car move,you have to be sure it is installed in the trans correctly,or damage to you trans will be serious,it should click 3 times when installing,the converter should stick at least 1 in behind the bell if you put a straight edge accross the opening,and also be sure there are 2 dail pin in the block for the trans to set on before re-nstalling the trans,that is a common problem for broken flexplates.

[ 04 April 2002, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: 1bad66duece ]