Tranny pops out of first gear.

DTM Brian

I have a T-5 laying in my shed that I am thinking about using. The tranny originally would pop out of first gear as soon as you let out on the clutch. It would take several trys to get it to stay. A friend of mine tore it down and replaced the first gear, snycro, and the hub assembly. This lasted for about 100 miles. It is back to doing the same thing. Could it be a bent shift fork? What else could it be? I will let you all guess what car this is for. :eek: All input appreciated.

bent fork, possibly.

Maybe the gear is pressed on crooked? this is actually easy to have happen.

also, check idler gear (on secondary shaft) position.

I think i have lots of notes on the T5 trans and i know i have an exploded view of one. i will dig through and get back to you!

Good luck!

I will have to agree with Joe's tohughts on this. My sentra has a known problem of popping out of 5th also and mine just started doing it. They says it is the idler gear that wears out and causes this. Maybe one day when I feel ambitious I will fix mine :rolleyes:

Guest 1bad66duece
its your first gear,the back of the gear has ingagement teeth,when those teeth get worn,there are no teeth for the syncro to mesh with,even if the gears look good,the little dogs or engagment teeth are worn,if you put a new syncro and it went out that quik,change that gear,at least look at the teeth you compare them to the other gears,you will see the engagment teeth will be almost worn off.

Guest 614Streets
T-5's are notorious for throwing first gear back out. Its scary as hell to , boom! Any ways , I forget the name of the piece but its this bar inside the transmission it tends to warp/bend with use and it causes bad meshing. If I think of the name of the piece I'll post it.

The teeth on the actual gear have a reverse bevel to them to help hold things together. The shape is kind of like a pentagon. Under load this shape acually pulls the operating sleeve onto the gear face harder. Once these get worn down there is nothing to keep the operating sleeve locked onto the gear. Usually a tranny rebuild will only replace the synchros and maybe the operating sleeves, this will only temporarily fix your problem. To fix it for good you need to replace the operating sleeve and the actual gear. Might as well do the synchro at the same time, although the synchro has nothing to do with actually holding the operating sleeve onto the gear. Here is a very very rough and exaggerated top view of the shape of the teeth. Worn teeth loose their pentagon shape.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/160000-160999/160293_77_full.jpg

Originally posted by Mobile Chassis Dyno:

Thanks for the help so far. I must of forgot to mention, But the gear was replaced as well. I wonder If I will need one again after 100 miles.

If you have it in the TT it's possible your going to need to replace gears every 100 miles or get a stronger trany biult for it. tongue.gif

Originally posted by TINFOIL REVOLUTION:

Renner, did you do that in paint? smile.gif

Ya, not bad for 5 minutes of work. Photoshop opened up halfway and froze on me twice so I just did it in paint. I figured that Brian already knew what I was talking about anyway, but I just wanted to make sure that my description made some sense.

BTW: Yes it could be a bent shift fork. If you are not getting the full range of motion due to a bent fork the operating sleeve may not be fully engaged into the gear. Do you have any problems getting it to click when you are putting it into 1st?