f-body tech question?

Guest redz24

Guest redz24
hey i was wondering i am wanting to do a engine swap in a 93-97 v6 camaro, i want to put a carberated 350 with a turbo 350 tranny into it. is there any major modifications that have to be done to the chasis or any of the crossmembers or does it drop right in? i would appreciate any help thanks.

I'm not an expert on 4th gens, but if the 350 you want is a GenI block I know you'll have to change the motor mounts, I'm not sure on the trany mount. I think your also going to run into hood clearence problems with the stock hood and you'll need to replace the front springs with ones off a Z-28.

You might also want to check the length of a Turbo 350 tranny. If my memory serves me correct it might be shorter than what they used on 4th gens. If this is true you will either need a different driveshaft or a different tailpiece on the tranny.

A TH-350 or TH-400 will fit; they sell crossmembers for it too. smile.gif Of course, you'll need a new DS regardless.

Engine will require some work to get in there, and getting the gauges to work with it may be a nightmear. Might as well put a good rear end in there while you are at it, since an open 10-bolt isn't gonna do you any good, and tossing money into gears and a Posi for a 10-bolt is just throwing money into the wind.

Basically said, this won't be a cheap project.

Why ruin a fourth gen like that unless your rescuing a total wreck or building a racecar? Get a cheap third gen and do the swap on it. Heck, you can find them all the time with no motor. I've done that swap (EFI V6 to carbed V8) and it's not hard at all.

What you need is the crossmember for the tranny and to tap the holes in the frame that are already there for it, a driveshaft out of a three speed auto (1982, I think), and a V8 third gen already has the right motor mounts. The in-tank pump makes WAY too much pressure for a carb, so you either need a regulator that can adjust down to the 5-6psi you need, or you need to remove it and convert to a mechanical pump, or a lower pressure electric one.

The torque arm bracket will unbolt off the old tranny tailshaft and fits right on to the new one. Speedometer gear will need to be changed also.

As long as you get a drop base air cleaner, you can fit it just fine under the third gen hood (this is with an Edelbrock Performer and Holley carb).

A V8 will fit in a V6 third gen also -- you just need to buy the V8 mounts. Holes for them are already in the crossmember and tapped from the factory.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Let me clarify "ruin". smile.gif I think that a better swap would be an LT1 into the V6 body, OR just to get an LT1 Z28. Prices have fallen to very reasonable levels on the early cars.

[ 27 August 2002, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Stolen UFO ]

The whole thing begs the question, why? There are so many cheaper and easier ways to go fast with an F-body. If you're going to swap a carbed SBC into something start with a lighter platform.

But, if you end up doing it make sure you install the distributor before putting the engine in. It will be under the cowl and its not coming out or going in without pulling the engine.