NEED HELP FROM EARLY 90'S HONDA GURU'S!!!

excell

Ok guys, this is gonna kinda be a little hairy but please try to stick with me!

The story starts out like this:

In the GTP, specifically in our PCM's, we cannot run over 50lb high impedance injectors. There is simply no way to program the PCM for anything higher. The next solution would be to go with low impedance injectors. With these we could go higher than 50lb. The catch is no one has a fucking clue how, except one person. I happened to get him to leak me some info tonight but not enough that I can do anything with it. Here is where you Honda guru's come in...

Here is what he said, parens are added by me to help you understand better:

----

(the use of low impedance injectors on a GTP)"it requires the use of some Honda parts used in some of their earlier 90's cars"

"Honda for some reason wanted to keep their ECU's kinda the same between the different cars, but for some reason they used low ohm injectors in certain cars"

"to fix this they put a little silver box in that goes between the ECU and injectors"

(for the GTP)"you need 2 though"

----

What in the hell is he talking about? Do you guys know ANYTHING about this?

Please help! :(

Chris,

First off I have no idea about the Honda computer deal. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass but, how does your car run with 42lb. injectors? Any detonation, or pinging, or any signs of going lean. I am just wondering if you could get away with 42's and your stock computer? 42's are good for a bunch of horsepower. Maybe that would save some money and time. Or maybe I am completly wrong about this whole idea. Also I think Accel makes 44lb. and maybe even 48lb. as well.

Tom

Originally posted by Stallion Motorsports:

Chris,

First off I have no idea about the Honda computer deal. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass but, how does your car run with 42lb. injectors? Any detonation, or pinging, or any signs of going lean. I am just wondering if you could get away with 42's and your stock computer? 42's are good for a bunch of horsepower. Maybe that would save some money and time. Or maybe I am completly wrong about this whole idea. Also I think Accel makes 44lb. and maybe even 48lb. as well.

Tom

Tom:

The GTP comes with 36.5lb injectors stock. The next "step" and most popular injector upgrade is a Lucas 009 42.5lb followed by the Delphi PTE50 50lb injector. This is where the problem lies. I will be switching to the Lucas 009 42.5lb's next week. I will probably never need the 50lbs. But this is not for my car. This is for another car that will need WAY in excess of 50lb injectors and I got this lead and want to know as much as I can about it. smile.gif

This is way new territory that if true, will blow the 3800 world right open.

Its called a resistor box. It allows the ecu which is set up for high impedance injectors to run low impedance injectors... more to come when i find out years and specs.

edit: pic

http://www.gamesbbs.com/~dmoore/images/ebay.h2.jpg

[ 10. March 2003, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: drunkendubber ]

Apparently the early dsm's have the resistor boxes also...it seems as though its all about stepping down the power from the high impedance requirement down to the low impedance requirement. My question is that if you simply step down the power for the low impedance injectors is the ecu gonna freak if it doesn't get the same power on its return signal or is it not gonna notice? also included is a link. the silver box in the picture is the box that you are looking for. resistor box

Kyle G.

Yeah, we have the same thing on Supras. Japanese Supras and US-spec Supras have different impedances (J-spec is high impedance and US-spec is low impedance). What he is talking about is a resistor pack.

You may be able to find one off of a six cylinder car that will work, just to keep things simple.

Do a Google search on it, and you should be able to find something about low impedance injectors being used on GM ECUs. The archives of the DIY-EFI list might prove to be valuable in that.

A juicy tid-bit I found:

Early model injected Hondas; 90-95 Prelude and Accord; 89-91 JDM B16A Hondas all ran external resistor packs with low impedance injectors.

Mark: Your car is equipped with one of these packs, is that right? Do you have a spare? Could I come and examine it one night while your car is still down?

Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

You could have just PM'd me and I could have saved you some time. lol. The information on the Prelude and the Accords is correct....most Honda's run 240cc injectors btw.

But this is a good thread.

DSM's run low impedance, some people get 550's (something like that) out of TII's for our cars and take out the resistor pack out I belive is how the story goes. Just read that some TII's run low impedance injectors too, 550's go woo woo.

The trick is to figure out what impedance your old injectors are, and what your new ones are. That'll give you a rough est. of what impedance the resistors in the resistor pack need to be. It sounds like the just put a high power resistor in series with your injector. Puting injectors in series simply adds them together. So if your old injectors were 13ohms and your new ones were 3 ohms, you'd need a 10 ohm resistor pack (10+3=13 http://216.40.249.192/s/contrib/blackeye/small3dblackeye.gif ). My guess is that guy found a way to make the honda ones work somehow (wether it's just a direct connection or not is another story) if you put resistors in parallel they combine in a totally different way.

___1_______1______1

-------- = ----- + ----- +...

_Rtotal_____R1_____R2

That's how resistors in parallel add (hope that makes sense, pay no attention to the ___ lines, only did that cuse just spaces doesn't work...)

Rtotal=R1+R2+...

That's how resistors in series add

[ 10. March 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: My name... is Neo ]