IPOD vs Dell DJ

Gergwheel1647545492

I have an iPod. I am a Mac guy so it made sense to me to get it. I really like it, good battery life, it integrates with my digicam so I have a 15GB compact flash card for the cam.

I like the interface and the scroll wheel. The next gen will let you view photos on the pod so that will be cool.

I haven't used the Dell DJ but I really do like the IPOD, wouldn't change a thing about it.

I have heard bad things about ipods breaking, or at the very least when the battery dies, it is circa $100 to replace.

I have not heard much about dell DJs, but from what little I gather they are nice. Of course then you are supporting sweat shops. :b

Perhaps the creative nomad is the perfect balance. I would check those out.

hey controller, do you have the nomad? i was just looking at them and i really like it. i like how it functions as an external HD as well. the DJ requires upgrades to do this, and i'm pretty sure the IPOD doesnt even offer this. anyways i got a couple of questions about the NOMAD, like does it suck not having a scroll wheel and just using the 2 buttons?

Originally posted by gergwheel:

hey controller, do you have the nomad? i was just looking at them and i really like it. i like how it functions as an external HD as well. the DJ requires upgrades to do this, and i'm pretty sure the IPOD doesnt even offer this. anyways i got a couple of questions about the NOMAD, like does it suck not having a scroll wheel and just using the 2 buttons?

I had a Nomad before getting my iPod and didnt like it all that much. The layout of the iPod is much better design wise and my Nomad completely died within 6 months of having it, while using it under normal use.

I have a 15gb ipod and the battery life has slowly been decreasing since I bought it. You can take it to mac at easton and they charge 100 to fix it or you can do it your self at home for 30 with a complete kit ordered off the internet. The kit comes with everything you need. MY ipod is sweet and its over a year old and I know that the battery issue is kinda the same deal as a cell phone, thats why Im not suprised it's happening. I would defidently buy another ipod.

Originally posted by gergwheel:

Its fairly easy, once you ID3 tag all your mp3s correctly. If you are one that doesn't care of apple products much, the nomad is for you. My only real complaint is size. I've had to repace mine twice now (I got the bestbuy warranty, worth it imo) but that was only because the headphone jack was under sustained pressure from my aux input to my deck, anyway I fixed it now. Battery life on the newer ones seems much better, easily lasting two weeks of daily driving/listening while walking to class. I will note though, it likes the cold over the heat. I left it in my car in SC over the summer and it heated up so much it wouldn't turn on, didn't do any damage though. Overall, I highly recommend it.

I have a 15gb Dell DJ, battery life is awesome and operating the UI comes as second nature once you get used to it.. Only downsides are that it is a little heavy (but very solid, metal casing can take quite a bit of abuse ;) ) and no line out connection. For the price they are going for now (I paid $110 a month ago), they are unbeatable. Keep your eyes open on Slickdeals if you're in the market for a Dell DJ and you can practically steal one.

If you're looking for the latest/greatest thing, I'd still have to say you can do better than an Ipod IMO.

Creative just changed the Nomad. It's now called the Zen touch. I's got 20gb and weighs 7.05 ounces. The styling is getting closer to the i-pod too, it's the same white color. The battery life is apparently rated at 24+ hours continous play. BUT, the EAX sound processor went bye-bye. M.S.R.P. of $269

iPod > Everything Else

Seriously, the iPod is so easy to use. I wouldn't even think about the Dell DJ. I've also had my iPod for 3 years, and I have no battery problems whatsoever. And we're talking a second-gen iPod, the one that was supposed to have all the battery issues. In the case of MP3 players, you get what you pay for. I also use the iTunes music store quite frequently, and all I have to do is plug the iPod into the laptop and update is done in 30 seconds or less for 4 full CDs. If what you're also looking for is an external HDD, you can't beat the new 60 GB photo iPod for $569 w/ student discount. The new photo iPods also have a video out which is kinda cool, and more battery life.

i just purchased an mp3 player its pretty nice, nothing like you guys are talking about. why would you need so much space?

i got the SanDisk cruzer micro flash drive (512 mb) and the mp3 companion for 140 bux. i have about 100 songs on there an di have over 300 mb left for school data and what not.

when will you actually listen to over 100 songs?

Originally posted by Neo:

Along the same lines, does anyone know anything about the new 'media players' that can do music, photo, video, act as an external HDD?

They're a waste of money. Music, Photos, and an external HDD are really all you need. I'de say that photos are even a waste if you don't a video out on the thing. Seriously, who would want to watch video on a 3" screen?

And about the massive storage MP3 players, it's nice to have a wide variety of music with you wherever you go. I use my iPod at work every day.