"The mentally challenged"

Guest rperry74

Guest rperry74
Why is it that some ass hat can come into my auto parts store and ask for something that only the dealer would have and then proceed to say, "Well I thought this was a parts store?" And with a serious tone as to question what I do on a daily basis. Right, because that fucking little glovebox light socket for your beat ass, piece of shit, multi colored v-6 wanna be Firebird is something that happens to fail on so many other of those cars that the aftermarket would have a reason to re-create it and sell it. Fuck you and go to the wrecking yard. And I would fix the body, exhaust, wheels and countless other shit before I worried about a stupid light socket. I don't know how many of you deal with people like this daily, but as CivicPowered and I know, they can be a challenge. I think that we, as a society, should be able to cane people repeatedly until they are broken of this behavior. I can see coming to me and asking for that widget you don't want to pay fifty bucks for at the dealer, but don't question me when I tell you the only place your gonna find it is the dealer or the wrecking yard. Unlike those who don't know the difference between a brake pad and a brake shoe ("Yes, I would like some brake shoes for the front of my 03 Lexus. No, I don't know what model it is, where do I find that?") I don't spend 8 to 14 hours a day, 6 to 7 days a week at my job not knowing what the hell it is that I am selling. Thank you, that is all!

Do you guys carry a upper radiator hose for a 77 beetle???

A ring kit for a 89 RX7?

Or a torque converter for a 2000 Civic Si?

Oddly enough, you can go into a lot of parts stores, and they will actuly look to see if they have these parts.

Originally posted by Volvo Power:

Do you guys carry a upper radiator hose for a 77 beetle???

A ring kit for a 89 RX7?

Or a torque converter for a 2000 Civic Si?

Oddly enough, you can go into a lot of parts stores, and they will actuly look to see if they have these parts.

nothing beats fucking with the new 16 year old. the one that will actualy look for a muffler bearing

When I worked at parts america I actually had a guy call and ask for brake pads for his car but he refused to tell me the make and model of the car, he said "all brake pads are the same" at that point I was speachless. But the best is the guy who asked me to take a look at his car because it was making a strange noise, since it was nice out and we were slow I figured what the heck, we go out he opens the hood of his mid 80's ford fairmont and the first thing I see is one lone plug wire off by its-self, so I pick it up and see that the ceramic and center electrode are still attached to the plug wire but the rest of the plug is still in the head. :rolleyes: I suggested that he do a tune up on the poor car since after removing what was left of the plug from the head I see that their is hardly any electrode left and I'm guessing these are the original plugs, but no he just buys 1 plug to replace the bad one, I tried to tell him for a couple of bucks he could at least replace all the plugs but he just wouldnt do it. You definately see some crazy shit working at a parts store.

Guest lilchaz16
Originally posted by Lustalbert (more used cars than CR):
nothing beats fucking with the new 16 year old. the one that will actualy look for a muffler bearing[/QB]
graemlins/nonono.gif

Actually it is very annoying when I go to a parts store and ask for an alternator for a 1990 chevy camaro, or a new clutch for a 1999 dodge dakota and have to wait like 2 days b/c no one stocks parts. It has come to the point where it is easier to just order stuff online and then it will come to your door and you don't have to go drive to the parts store order shit, then call and ask about it, have someone say that the part is in, only to find out they didn't check, drive home again and waste more time, wait till the next day and finally get the part for more money than it cost on 10 online sites.

Wow it really amazes me how stupid some people can be.. Should you really be changing your own brakes if you don't even know your model? Maybe that should be a sign that you deserve to pay a couple hundred bucks to have the dealer do it.

Guest rperry74
The best of them all is the guy who stands up at the front register, which has a closed sign in front of it, for five minutes and then gets pissed and wants to call ME a dumbass for not telling him the register was closed. It got to the point that if I didn't need the job I would have beat his ass silly right there in the store. But instead I returned his kind words with some of my own and I haven't seen him since.

Sometimes I think the mentally challenged are the ones that work at part stores.

example from other day:

"This is Ben at Berberich Automotive, I need pads and rotors for a 95 civic"

"Motor?"

"1.6 sohc"

"What year?"

"Uhh.. ninety five..."

"Thats a honda right? oh here they are, parts will be there in 5-10 minutes."

"Thanks."

20 minutes later, "Sorry I JUST checked our stock and we will have to get them from the wearhouse, it wont be till tomorow."

"You didnt check when I called? Well thanks for wasting my time I'll get them some place else."

10 minutes later, "Hey this is Jason at ____Parts Store, I just found those pads and rotors you wanted."

"Uhhhh?" click.

most people at parts stores should be the ones being cained if you want to talk about people who should be cained IMO... rarely are they helpful and don't seem to know anything about cars... You ask them to look up a part and they act like you're putting them out... it's annoying... sometimes you forget that you're here because of the customer...

oh, and get rid of all that ricer shit in that ricer isle and get real shit and maybe you won't get so many stupid questions. Remember... ricers = STUPID questions.

Originally posted by Shitaro:

most people at parts stores should be the ones being cained if you want to talk about people who should be cained IMO... rarely are they helpful and don't seem to know anything about cars... You ask them to look up a part and they act like you're putting them out... it's annoying... sometimes you forget that you're here because of the customer...

I went to get spark plugs today and the following conversation ensued after the make/mode/year was given:

"do you prefer a brand?"

"NGK"

"what type"

"i believe stock replacement's are 6ES"

"well you see here, i've got a buddy who runs these platinum's in his car and he say's their great."

"he run's a hotter range plug in a forced induction engine?"

"yeah he said he was having problem's with melting plugs"

"yeah, that's interesting b/c if anything you want to go with a colder plug, not a hotter one."

"yeah well, have you ever read any of these performance books about etc...etc..etc..

"just give me the 6ES's, thanks"

actually you used to stock that light socket and now you have to order it. its in the motormite lighting and connector book if the guy comes back.

not knocking you guys who still sell parts on a daily basis but from the quality of the help I've seen localy its easier for me to just look up the shit myself at home and then go to the store with part numbers and wait while the pull what I want.

you have to remeber in retail that most of the people you are selling to are poor if they had money they wouldn't be doing the work themselves theyd be paying someone to do it for them.

Guest rperry74
Originally posted by Shitaro:

... rarely are they helpful and don't seem to know anything about cars... You ask them to look up a part and they act like you're putting them out...sometimes you forget that you're here because of the customer...[/QB]

This is the "I am a young kid, or old turd and don't like my job" syndrome. Either they act that way because they don't know, but don't want to look stupid, or they do know and feel that everyone should know the answer to said question. The older guys are pissed cause they can't go anywhere else, theyre too old, and they lack the mental capicity and/or the discpiline to be in management. It seems to me that like in anything else, you get those few who give a bad name to those who are truly there to do a job. Cars are a passion for me, I love them. Stock, modified, old and beat up, I can appreciate the cars for what they are and in the case of the old beat up one, what they were. It is a shame that people can't get the kind of service they need from most places, and I am the kind of guy who understands the fact that people who work on their own cars tend to not have a ton of money. Ask any of MY customers if I am helpful, I will bet you get a resounding yes from them. Ask them if I took the time to explain why they needed to get that widget for their car they were trying to skip, they will say yes and be thankful because they had no idea that it could have been a real safety issue for them and their family. I will admit that even I get overwhelmed at times, I have to run a store, manage employees, and provide the best customer service there is, because if I don't, the customers won't be back and I won't have a job. But I can safely say that while providing this level of customer service I am still producing over 30-40% of the stores sales and seeing obviously, more customers than anyone else. This doesn't mean that I push them through like cattle, it means they recognize where to go to get what they need.

Originally posted by buelliganx1:

When I worked at parts america I actually had a guy call and ask for brake pads for his car but he refused to tell me the make and model of the car, he said "all brake pads are the same" at that point I was speachless. But the best is the guy who asked me to take a look at his car because it was making a strange noise, since it was nice out and we were slow I figured what the heck, we go out he opens the hood of his mid 80's ford fairmont and the first thing I see is one lone plug wire off by its-self, so I pick it up and see that the ceramic and center electrode are still attached to the plug wire but the rest of the plug is still in the head. :rolleyes: I suggested that he do a tune up on the poor car since after removing what was left of the plug from the head I see that their is hardly any electrode left and I'm guessing these are the original plugs, but no he just buys 1 plug to replace the bad one, I tried to tell him for a couple of bucks he could at least replace all the plugs but he just wouldnt do it. You definately see some crazy shit working at a parts store.

Reminds me of one of our customers. Right now we are doing a repair that will run between 6-7k, and he will not spring for a tune up. Original 1994 plugs and wires.