Your thoughts on drifting in the US, American cars...

Boost-n-Juice

Guest jpurdy2003

The people who think drifting is a "ricer fad" are the same people who think the new GTO is a POS because of its independent rear suspension. Those of you who care about nothing more than straight-line performance are denying yourselves the entire breadth of automotive enthusiasm.

That being said, drifting is not a sport because it is subjectively judged, however it's a lot of fun, cheap to do, easy to learn, and therefore isn't leaving any time soon. .

Originally posted by Crooked Edge Lovecore:

The people who think drifting is a "ricer fad" are the same people who think the new GTO is a POS because of its independent rear suspension. Those of you who care about nothing more than straight-line performance are denying yourselves the entire breadth of automotive enthusiasm.

That being said, drifting is not a sport because it is subjectively judged, however it's a lot of fun, cheap to do, easy to learn, and therefore isn't leaving any time soon. .

Madza RX-7 owner here, a car designed and engineered for the road course and one of the most coveted drift cars. As stated before, IMO, drifting is a frightening development. It may be a "spectator sport" but incredibly dangerous in reality.

It is NOT cheap to purchase and set up a car to drift correctly. The cars must have enough horsepower, and a suspension tuned to do it correctly. Then add replacing the tires after 15 mins of "drifting".

Those who attempt "drifting" on public roads and parking lots, with street cars on stock suspensions, on street tires, are just plan unsafe.

Any dumb fucker that thinks drifting is new and that only ricers do it is just retarded. Drifting has been around as long as people have been into making there cars faster.

Now drifting as a competition that is judged may be new, but go to any hick town in southern ohio and you will see every parking lot that empties at night or especially after snow storms are totally covered in marks of people drifting. Every hillbilly learns to do it as a way of life. We drove on gravel roads alot of the time and we drive in snow and mud and other bad conditions. I can remember my dad taking my brother and myself out in the old pickup and drifting when I was probably 6 that would be 20 years ago.

Now having said all this I do agree that anyone that drifts there car and damages it via hitting a curb or pole is pretty dumb. If your gonna do it make sure you've checked your area first. And if you totally lose control your pretty dumb to. I can say I've over shot my slide many times, but I've never hit something or ended up actually scaring myself or overcorrecting. I'd recommend drifting be a part of the driving test. We spend alot of time on stupid shit in the driving test, but nothing on advanced techniques. Pilots practise stall and spin recoveries as well as equipment failure crash avoidance techniques.

All we do is sue automakers for not making the computer do all the work that any skilled driver can do. Such as maintain lateral control or braking control in an emergency. Probably covering just those 2 areas of advanced driving would save lifes. Just imagine how many people end up taking there first lateral control lesson while there slaming into a wall or car at 65MPH. Not a good time to learn and you also learn nothing because you are scared shitless or dead.

Evan

Guest jpurdy2003
Originally posted by Rotarded:

[QBMadza RX-7 owner here, a car designed and engineered for the road course and one of the most coveted drift cars. As stated before, IMO, drifting is a frightening development. It may be a "spectator sport" but incredibly dangerous in reality.

It is NOT cheap to purchase and set up a car to drift correctly. The cars must have enough horsepower, and a suspension tuned to do it correctly. Then add replacing the tires after 15 mins of "drifting".

Those who attempt "drifting" on public roads and parking lots, with street cars on stock suspensions, on street tires, are just plan unsafe.[/QB]

We are automotive enthusiasts. Nothing we do is even close to 100% safe. If there were no risk, it wouldn't be fun, and we wouldn't do it.

Originally posted by Kuruma:

Despite the general distaste I have for them, I am more then familiar with the meanings of common internet acronyms, having wasted the past 20 years on computers.

Since you have missed the point, I will clarify things a bit. I couldn't possibly care one iota less about changing your opinion on what a sport is. Such an attempt is not worth my time, and I have better things to do then to waste my time trying to influence the opinions of a person I have no contact with at this point in time outside of an internet forum.

The presence of the aforementioned acronym does not change the general tone your post gives off of trying to chastise me for using the word in a manner contradictory to your personal tastes in entertainment, despite said usage being perfectly in line with the definition of the word as it is found in the dictionary considered by most to be the final word on the english language. That is all. No more, no less. If that is not how you meant it, then consider it dropped. I'm in a bad mood today, and I may misinterpret things.

i could give a shit what kind of mood you are in.

your definition sucks. The orge didn't ask for your retarded banter, go away.

Originally posted by mesteno:

i could give a shit what kind of mood you are in.

your definition sucks. The orge didn't ask for your retarded banter, go away.

It isn't my definition. It's the dictionary's definition. Take it up with Merriam Webster if you think it sucks. End of discussion.

Originally posted by Crooked Edge Lovecore:

The people who think drifting is a "ricer fad" are the same people who think the new GTO is a POS because of its independent rear suspension.

False. I like the GTO and it's IRS... yet I think big time drifting is a retarded ricer fad.

It's at the same level as demolition derby, it's the Japanese equivalent. I can't believe they are trying to make it a big sport with sponsors and such. It's fun to do I'm sure, but what they are doing with it is ridiculous.

I don't care though, if ricers want to spin around instead of racing, I say more power to them. Less retards at the real racing spots: dragstrips, auto-x, or roadcourses. :D

Here is my take on drifting. Drifting is not racing. It is an excuse for someone who doesn’t have a properly tuned car for optimum performance.

Why take the money to build a ricer? I mean build a car up to reduce performance? A drifting car can get owned by a stock Honda accord in a 'real' race event. For what I understand, drifting came from Japan where race tracks and space is limited. We have space in the US, so we have race tracks and space to use our machines. For these people that spend the big money and put many hours of time into their car, I would think a better use of time and resources would be to build a nice SCCA car. This car could 'walk' the 'talk' and be able to perform better than a stock vehicle without any rice.

Any of my cars with bald or even a decent tires can break loose when I nail it(except for the Volvo). I just dont understand.

The whole concept of the event(this not racing, because it is a judged event) by 'slipping' by losing tracing is through corners is interesting. It is cool to watch in the movies, but that is just about it for me. The only thing good about it is that it is automobile related.