Who works at Best Buy? Have some ????

Billiumss

Who works for Best Buy?

My wife applied for a cashiers job 3 weeks ago (online) and haven't heard anything, she just wants to work 2-3 days a week for a few extra $$$ for X-mas. She might even stay with them after the holiday season if things work out.

Is it a pain in the azz to get a job there or do you just have to wait to get a call?

How do the discounts work there? If she does get a job and if the discounts are worth anything, we are thinking about buying a 50-60" DLP Widescreen HDTV.

Any info is appreaciated....

Send me a PM if you don't want others to see your post.

Thanks,

Bill

The discounts there are GREAT!! I know on car audio stuff employees basically get the stuff at 1/2 off because they mark it up so much, or at least that is the way it used to work like 4 years ago. Also if you want a big TV but want to pay a fraction of the price this is what i recommend, by friend just got one and this thing is FANTASTIC! http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=2200MP1&c=us&l=en&cs=04&category_id=2999&page=external

Originally posted by gergwheel:

The discounts there are GREAT!! I know on car audio stuff employees basically get the stuff at 1/2 off because they mark it up so much, or at least that is the way it used to work like 4 years ago. Also if you want a big TV but want to pay a fraction of the price this is what i recommend, by friend just got one and this thing is FANTASTIC! http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=2200MP1&c=us&l=en&cs=04&category_id=2999&page=external

I just got the 2300MP projector.. Had it hooked up playing xbox on it last night with a 90 in screen. Thing was AMAZING, then put in The Two Towers to check it out. so nice.

Originally posted by Blowzilla:

I just got the 2300MP projector.. Had it hooked up playing xbox on it last night with a 90 in screen. Thing was AMAZING, then put in The Two Towers to check it out. so nice.

it was sweet titties playing TW2k5 on that big of a screen....

U gotta get that thing mounted on the ceiling though... ironing boards don't make good projector stands tongue.gif

I will also highly suggest a rear projection unit if you have the room for it and the patience to set it up right. I haven't done a ton of research into any because I'm so far off from buying a house right now, but what little I have done is at http://www.projectorcentral.com/ Alot of good info there.

I'm not a fan of the primary TV in the room being super large, or a widescreen. I have a 27" TV that, when I get a projector, I will more than likely continue to use for regular TV viewing. If I don't use that I will get a larger tube based TV. But that's just my opinion on what I would like. The main thing I'd be watching on a projector would be movies, playing video games, and the occasional sports event. I'd probably get two screens, or just settle for smaller 4:3 programming. Not saying you would be disappointed, I've heard great things about DLP front projectors. I just think the money could be better spent on a rear projector, esp. if you have a nice, decent sized tube TV to watch programming you don't (I wouldn't) want a large TV for. Like the news, most regular TV programs.

I don't think if you are looking to spend $2-3K you should spend less on a rear projector because it's cheaper, the picture quality might not be as good. But I can bet if you spend that money on a projector and a nice screen, you will have a far better picture and a bigger screen, less room taken up in your abode.

my $.02

IMO projectors have too limited of a use. They tend to look like total crap (at least every one I've seen so far) when the room has decent light going on. They can look great in a dark room.....but many times I don't want to watch TV in a dark room. And sporting events just seem wrong in a dim/dark room.

Unless I had a big house with a large room that could basically be made into a dedicated faux movie theater, I'll never want a projector (and in Bill's case, a projector wouldn't really work well for his living room setup).

I am also a believer in the big TV being the main TV. I'd love to have a 16:9 60" DLP as my next TV, but for now my 4:3 50" will have to do, as I sure as hell can't afford one.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

IMO projectors have too limited of a use. They tend to look like total crap (at least every one I've seen so far) when the room has decent light going on. They can look great in a dark room.....but many times I don't want to watch TV in a dark room. And sporting events just seem wrong in a dim/dark room.

Unless I had a big house with a large room that could basically be made into a dedicated faux movie theater, I'll never want a projector (and in Bill's case, a projector wouldn't really work well for his living room setup).

I am also a believer in the big TV being the main TV. I'd love to have a 16:9 60" DLP as my next TV, but for now my 4:3 50" will have to do, as I sure as hell can't afford one.

I had a light on last night and it still looked fine. My projector has 2300 lumens so it is bright enough.. Plus the room that it will be in our house is 30 x 20 so having that large of screen in there will be just fine.

I thought about a DLP Projector but in order to get a good image, you have to pay big $$$ for the proper screen.

I will have my new TV downstairs in my family room which is 12 x 21.

A DLP TV would work better for my room. The whole wall will be TV and stereo equipment...

Originally posted by Billiumss:

I thought about a DLP Projector but in order to get a good image, you have to pay big $$$ for the proper screen.

I will have my new TV downstairs in my family room which is 12 x 21.

A DLP TV would work better for my room. The whole wall will be TV and stereo equipment...

I bought the screen material on ebay for 25 bucks.. probably cost me about 30 in parts.. Same material the 5-600 screens are made out of but mine will always be hanging rather than a motorized one.

I think employees get close to 30% off TV's there.

[ 07. October 2004, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Blowzilla ]

back on the topic that was posted about, yes, it can be a pain because their process is done via phone. You mostly gotta just sit and wait, I guess you could try calling to get a hold of the store manager and find out specs. but last time I tried to apply there a few years ago, the same sotry held true.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

We use the same projectors that John (Blowzilla) bought at work every day with lights on giving presentation with NO difficulty seeing it with all the lights on. The old projectors are crap, but they have come a long way.

IMO projectors have too limited of a use. They tend to look like total crap (at least every one I've seen so far) when the room has decent light going on. They can look great in a dark room.....but many times I don't want to watch TV in a dark room. And sporting events just seem wrong in a dim/dark room

Find a PROFESSIONAL to hook it up. Ours in clearer than ANY tube tv I have ever seen. That is with all blinds up and sun shining.

Discounts start after 30 days, I am thinking about a job there for the discounts on 100% legit things after the shop closes up for the winter.

i am in my 2nd week of doing merchandising at tuttle. they're definitely in need of employees up there! if anyone does decide to try working there, you'll need to put my name down as the referral ($150 referral reward, gotta love it)

Let me start by saying I will not use my discount for anyone. I just want to get that out of the way.

For my interview, I kept calling them until I got in there. I am not sure if they appreciate that though.

We get 5% above cost. In computers, we do not get jack. In apples and car-fi, those industries have more markup, so we get a real good deal.

I am looking at DLPs too. I prolly get about $1000 off a $4000 DLP roughly. You do get what you pay for. I am waiting for the 1080p to come out early next year. If I was buying now, I would get a TV with a HD2+ chip. I personally do not think a cheap projector can out perform a rear pro-jo. The avsforums are awesome! Check it out! They usually have group deals (PowerBuys) on TVs etc. Even screens and pop corn machines hehe. Check those forums out. I really want to wait for the next technically that is almost here. I am sure you will see the current DLP technology get super cheap since the good stuff will be out soon.

Did you put me as your referral Alex? >:| If not, you owe me dinner hehe.

http://www.avsforum.com/hdtvfaq/HDTV-FAQ.htm

http://www.avsforum.com/

I am getting ready for work, I will have to get back to you on the chips........ if you have time, check out the avsforum links, that is where I learn what I know.

About the jobs, you are in luck. There is a JOB FAIR today (Weds OCt 13) at tuttle 11am to 6pm.

It says you are to fill out an online app at www.careers.bestbuy.com first. IT says you can do one instore too.

I beleive you can get hired on the spot. THis is the best time to get in.

Please use me as a reference/refferral. My name is Mike Spohn and I am at the tech bench(GeekSquad).