Beer Review: Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

Guest Ranger_Man

Guest Ranger_Man

This was picked up at, surprise, Central Market in the form of a 4 pack for $6. Yes, you did read that right; I did indeed say a 4 pack for $6. Usually, I avoid setups like this because they are usually, barring the 4 packs of mini bottles of Belgian beer, some microbrew attempt at cruel and unusual punishment. This beer, however, has been mentioned to me numerous times as *the* quintessential stout. Being the stout fan that I am left me no choice but to try it out and see what I thought.

Bottle: The major source of information comes not from the bottle, but from the box and reads as follows:

“Contrary to what the name suggests, Russian Imperial Stouts was originally brewed in 18th century England. The name evolved as the Russian imperial Court developed an early appreciation for this big, intense brew and provided an eager export market.

“It’s been speculated that no one had a greater appreciation for this rich, roasty elixir than Rasputin, The mystic wag (and favorite of the ladies of the court) who was the ultimate downfall of Czar Nicholas II.

“Rasputin is probably best remembered for his dramatic exit. Having been deemed politically expendable, he was fed poisoned wine and tea cakes by his rivals. Surviving that, he was shot several times –whereupon he attacked his assailants. He finally succumbed when bound and stuffed through a hole in the ice to drown in the river Neva.

Legends that attribute his tenacity to his appetite for Russian Imperial Stout are unproven.”

The other side of the box states that the beer won four straight gold medals at the World Beer Championships in Chicago, which is rather impressive.

The bottle itself has only one label with good old Rasputin on the front with some Russian words around his picture.

Pour: The head starts off with a scant ¼ of thickness and even then it still recedes into a fine layer of lace that firmly attaches itself to anything that it touches. The beer smells quite like the innards of a coffee grinder after 5 days of solid use. That isn’t to say that the smell is bad, it is just that I can’t decide which type of coffee it smells like. The smell is quite good with the subtle hints of chocolate mixed in. The beer is completely dark and therefore, entirely opaque.

Taste: The very first words that stumbled out of my mouth after the initial taste were, “Umm, wow.” This is by far the smoothest stout that I have ever tasted. A sweet, rich toasted and roasted malt wonder greets you at the door and welcomes you to the party. Once inside you are serenaded by small, sweet bubbles that announce the entrance of the over the top entertainer. The entertainer hops is a marvelous thing that starts the show as a large burnt toast man and slowly wanes into a chocolate love cake. The 9% ABV is well hidden in there somewhere, but it sure hits you like a ton of bricks.

Overall: Honestly, the beer is impressive. If you can stomach dark beers and spending $6 for 4 12 ounce bottles, by all means, try this. Old Rasputin is my new favorite stout but I am not too sure that it is my favorite dark beer. I do believe that Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald might still hold that title… one day I will have to do a back to back test to find out.

Frisky actually did the review. I just typed it since I type faster.

http://s90651370.onlinehome.us/rasputin.jpg