Review of the Finer Stuff: Macallan 15 year Fine Oak

Guest Ranger_Man

Guest Ranger_Man

The purchase of this specific bottle was honestly and truly accidental. The purchase of scotch was entirely on purpose.

After yet another long arduous day of work I came home and craved nothing more than a simple glass of scotch. But what is this? The bottle of Glenlivet… is empty. Off to Twin Liquors I went in search of a replacement. After arriving and surveying the scene I was accosted by a humongous wall or mountain if I may, of choices.

Now, in all honesty, I am not as learned in the way of scotch as I am in beer. All I knew was that I wanted a nice bottle of scotch and that the numbers on the bottles were significant in making the choice. Panning down the rows of bottles I started checking the numbers to the price and I do believe that it went something like, “12, 18… ouch, 21… oh shit.”

Finally I got to the Macallans and saw something interesting. On the bottles there was something interesting, namely, a dash of script that read, "Fine Oak”. One bottle had a 15 on it and the other bottle had a 21 on it. The bottle with the 21 on it had no price and I figured that it was more than likely one of those ‘if you have to ask, you can’t afford it anyway’ type deals, so I picked up the bottle with the 15 on it and a price tag of $65.00.

Bottle: The bottle itself comes in a nice baby blue box with some exceedingly hard to read writing on the back that says,

“Hidden in a fold of wooded hills, lapped by the waters of the Ringorm Burn as it hurries on its way to meet the mighty River Spey, stands Easter Elchies House. This ancient manor sits at the heart of The Macallan Estate and is spiritual home to the world’s most precious whisky.

“For centuries The Macallan has been distilled by generations of master craftsmen in particularly small, hand beater copper stills. The secret of this legendary Single Malt is its maturation in only the finest Bourbon and Sherry oak casks.

“The results of this unfaltering obsession with quality are shown in The Macallan Fine Oak’s light, natural colour and delightfully smooth and delicate nose. Such painstaking attention to detail creates this sublime whisky from the single malt by which all other must be judged.”

Now, on the back of the actual bottle is another passage that reads,

“Our unfaltering obsession with selecting the finest casks and distilling sublime spirit brings an unsurpassed, timeless quality to The Macallan. Distilled at The Macallan distillery in Speyside, Scotland, this legendary Single malt is carefully matured for a minimum of fifteen years. The unique combination of Bourbon and Sherry oak casks produces a particularly smooth, delicate and light whisky.”

The bottle itself is not a whole lot to look at since such a large Surgeon General warning takes up pretty much the entire back label. The front label shows a drawing of what I presume to be the Easter Elchies House. Underneath that is nothing new that I have not already shared with you.

Pour: The scotch is a very light rose color that is almost completely transparent. The scotch smells of cinnamon, chocolate and not surprisingly, alcohol.

Taste: Since I am drinking this glass ‘neat’, that is no ice in bar speak for those of you who are confused, the first sip is most definitely a slap in the face. I think that it is this first sip that turns so many people off from good whisk (e) y. However, every sip thereafter is truly a joy to behold. Soft chocolate waves splash all around your mouth creating a happiness that gets rudely interrupted with a cinnamon and alcohol combination. The spiciness of the alcohol kick is very nice as it adds a new twist to an old theme. Of course scotch, or any high alcohol content drink, is going to have quite a kick to it but to have a kick with flavor is something widely unknown.

Overall: Worth the $65 price tag? That is hard to determine and is almost entirely up to the individual. Do I think it is worth the price? Abso-positively-lutely. Coming home after a long day at work and drinking a very good scotch while listening to classical music is, to me, truly magical.

http://s90651370.onlinehome.us/15year.jpg

Originally posted by girlygirl18t:

it say's "Purple Rain" as in the artist formerly known as Prince. imfao

beer guy, has anyone told you that you look like Dougie Houser?

uhh.. I dunno

http://thelittlebaby.dhs.org/kenny/sweet/doogiegay.jpg

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by girlygirl18t:

it say's "Purple Rain" as in the artist formerly known as Prince. imfao

beer guy, has anyone told you that you look like Dougie Houser?

Don't be jealous of my shirt. No, I do not look like Dougie Houser.

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by AustinL911:

you need to go sleeveless more often. You have to be the whitest person in Texas. tongue.gif

No way. There are LOTS of white-r people here.