Window condensation

zeitgeist57

I have a 50-year old home with newer vinyl windows. I have a vent-free gas fireplace and also a forced air heater to heat the house.

Some of my windows and doors have accumulated so much condensation that it's starting to drip off of the stone sills and onto the floor. I have to go around once a day with a paper towel and wipe the sills off to collect the condensation. I know it's wicked cold outside, and it only does it then.

Anyone know what's causing this? I guess I don't need a whole-house humidifier! smile.gif

is the water in between the panes of glass or on the inside of the window?

if its in the glass the window is toast.

if its inside the house on the glass then its humidity collecting there from the cold.

either way new better insulated windows will fix the the problem.

Sorry, sorry...they are double pane glass (they have a white criss-cross structure in between the panes to simulate multi-pane windows.)

My parents use the 3M window plastic for years and they swear by it. I'll have to look into doing that this year or next.

They are fine,you just have humidity in your house. My father and I just talked about this today. My windows are brand new, and I have the same thing. Trust me, he knows,he has been building houses for over 30 years.

Originally posted by BC:

The windows themselves may be OK. It may be the way they were installed, not sealed properly, or the walls are not as effiecent as the windows and the difference in Temp between the walls and windows is causing the moisture.

Nah think about it.... it was warm and rainy for a couple days, then the temp drops hardcore...

I had the same problem when I had a whole house humidifier. You just have too much humidity in your house for the amount of thermal xfer you are getting out of your windows. If it where less cold, or less humid you would be fine, right?