New computer/ what programs

Chad is Dead

I just got a new computer and wanted to know what programs you guys think I should get. I was thinkin of going w/ mozilla firefox and aim for the internet and chatting but I don't know what to use for security and virus protection. Any other programs that would help let me know so I don't fuck this computer up. Links would be great. Thanks in advance!

Guest 420GSXR1000

what internet service...high speed dsl/cable??? if thats so, which in this day/age should be, get a router/switch and its your firewall, still can have antivirus for checks and email, but you should be good from attacks from the www (except mail crap)

my limited .02 on the subject

Guest 420GSXR1000

hmmmm www.astalavista.com has whatever you would need by way of "lost" serials and stuff, soo get what ya want from download.com, and get it to werk thru astalavista..

let me know whatelse you may like, i got a shitload of other stuff,,,,

Ya spybot is great as well as lavasoft adaware se. Check into Norton (it's easy to pirate if you have to) and also look into Nod32. Nod32 will kick anythings ass that Norton can't. Def grab Winamp like stang said, and if you feel like chillin to some music on it grab the R4 visualizer.

Antivirus - Panda Platinum Antivirus + Firewall is really reliable. I read into it a while back and on a bunch of security forums they loved it. I dl'd it and have been using it ever since. It auto updates daily so when new trojan/worms/viruses come out they are all over it. I really like it and it doesnt uses half the resources that norton does. Unless you new pc is pretty quick i'd stay away from norton,its a memory hog

Use aim express if you want to keep aim. You dont download any software, it runs on java. I hate friggin aim but this allows me to use it w/o the hassle. Just type in aimexpress.aol.com into your address bar, do not add the www in front or it wont work.

For downloads i'd stick with torrents. I have yet to dl a virus of anykind on these and as long as you wait a day or two for some seeders you'll know if theres an exe file attached b/c everyone will comment. For mp3's I still use trusty old limewire. Works very well.

check out tweakxp.com tons of great info in there also if you dont plan on using windows messenger uninstall the msmsgs.exe

in your run window copy this to remove it RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove down side it will also remove the white board and remote assistance.

for spyware like everyone else has said spybot and ad aware.

I use limewire pro for finding cracked apps and keys.

also what will be your prmary use for the PC internet use gaming audio/video ect???

astalavista.box.sk > astalavista.com

Don't know if they use the same engine but I see astalavista.com wanting you to pay to use some of their services? Seems like someone trying to copy off of the 'original'.

Box network>*

I use AIM with Dead AIM, it works great and gets rid of the annoying adds.

I remember someone telling me that there is something 'wrong' with the newer versions of AIM (post 5.1 I think). Also, you 'have to' pay a few bucks for the newer versions of Dead AIM. I've just never bothered trying to find a trial version of the newere versions because the old one works great. You can get the old versions of AIM and Dead AIM at www.oldversion.com

I understood like 2 sentences in everyones reply. lol. From what I understood I'll try to get the stuff I need. And my main uses for the pc is just pretty much lookin at stuff on forums and chatting. Don't play to many pc games.

Guest 420GSXR1000
Originally posted by Trouble Maker:

astalavista.box.sk > astalavista.com

Don't know if they use the same engine but I see astalavista.com wanting you to pay to use some of their services? Seems like someone trying to copy off of the 'original'.

Box network>*

yes, but the .com link has multiple search engines one being asta.box.sk, ,I havent always found what i need on the box site, so i use the .com site and i can search multiple sites for what i want

FYI