Got Popped on 71

Big Chief201

So I'm crusin on 71 on my way home from seeing my parents at around 9am this morning I make it all the way down from Vermilion with no problems. Once I hit outside columbus (36/37) A cop is just chillin waiting for me. He got behind me and I'm done for. Seems to me the Airplane speed patrol calculated me doing 101mph. The tickets $160 which kind of sucks but it was only a matter of time before I got a ticket. The cop was cool as hell about it. I think I'm just gonna pay it and call it a night, what do you think?

So I'm crusin on 71 on my way home from seeing my parents at around 9am this morning I make it all the way down from Vermilion with no problems. Once I hit outside columbus (36/37) A cop is just chillin waiting for me. He got behind me and I'm done for. Seems to me the Airplane speed patrol calculated me doing 101mph. The tickets $160 which kind of sucks but it was only a matter of time before I got a ticket. The cop was cool as hell about it. I think I'm just gonna pay it and call it a night, what do you think?

If you got bagged for 101mph and DIDN'T get thrown in the back of a cruiser, you got lucky......pay it.......don't go anywhere near a courtroom...

By the way, Vermillion is a nice town.....my dad bought a sailboat from Freeman/Eckley....

once you hit a certain MPH over you can be cited for reckless operation which can put you in the back of a cruiser

not tryin to beat a dead horse here but i thought you had to be doing say 115 mph and then change lanes or split lanes with a car, etc to then be considered for RO.

once you hit a certain MPH over you can be cited for reckless operation which can put you in the back of a cruiser
not tryin to beat a dead horse here but i thought you had to be doing say 115 mph and then change lanes or split lanes with a car, etc to then be considered for RO.

No, it CAN be for speed...

RO is doing anything 21 miles over the speed limit and again as Magley said it is officer's discretion to charge you with it.You could be picking your ass and speed and still get RO which is 6 PTS on you license.

I think of the speed limit as just a recomendation. It recomends that I go that fast or I'll get pulled over. Oh Hell the state patrol cars are getting old. Time to help finance more

...Once I hit outside columbus (36/37) A cop is just chillin waiting for me. He got behind me and I'm done for. Seems to me the Airplane speed patrol calculated me doing 101mph...

I got a couple questions.

1. Did you or were you actually doing that speed?

2. How do you not notice a plane on a bike? I can see in a cage, but hell I notice birds flying over me. If there really was a plane, see next question.

3. Was the more than one cop on the road in the area you got pulled over at?? Usually when they run the plane there are multiple ground units, usually two or more on EACH side of the road. It costs money to have that plane flyin loops up there, they usually run multiple ground units to take full advantage of each pass of the plane in both directions.

If there was only the lone cop at 36/37 (where he almost always is sitting) then I think he may have been pulling your leg about the airplane and assuming he could guess you had done at least 101mph and would not deny it. This is just my opinion, but I smell a rat.

So far as i understand it:

RO is at the discretion of the officer, but hard to prove..

criminal speeding is double the speed limit or more...(which can get you arrested)

Criminal Speeding is not in the ORC.

Reckless operation is not hard to prove. If you are going 20+ mph over the limit, it's considered reckless operation. The judge will also agree. It's not hard to prove.

My opinion... I agree with what was said before. Go in there and talk to the prosecutor and tell him that you will plead guilty if he lowers the speed/fine. They should do that for you.

Let us know how it turns out.

Something else to consider... does the ticket indicate where you were clocked? Something like "XYZ County between markers 150 and 151"?? If so, I'd ride back up that way and make sure the road is even marked for airplane tracking in the area indicated on your ticket.

Nope, hell if they think you accelerated too fast you can be hit with RO.

My front wheel never left the ground and a cop pulled me over for RO citing excessive accleration.

Though I fought it and won as the the COP lied his ass off on the stand about several issues...

But yes even if you hit the gas without bringing the front wheel up they could still get you for RO...

I got a couple questions.

1. Did you or were you actually doing that speed?

2. How do you not notice a plane on a bike? I can see in a cage, but hell I notice birds flying over me. If there really was a plane, see next question.

3. Was the more than one cop on the road in the area you got pulled over at?? Usually when they run the plane there are multiple ground units, usually two or more on EACH side of the road. It costs money to have that plane flyin loops up there, they usually run multiple ground units to take full advantage of each pass of the plane in both directions.

If there was only the lone cop at 36/37 (where he almost always is sitting) then I think he may have been pulling your leg about the airplane and assuming he could guess you had done at least 101mph and would not deny it. This is just my opinion, but I smell a rat.

I was going 65 when I got popped by the cop but about 10 minutes earlier i was going around that speed if not a lil faster..... I didn't notice the plane because I was paying attention to the traffic in front of me. once I got up around the 36-37 exit there were like 4 cops all hiding... I pulled off the exit to try and make a lil get away but the cop was ready for me he wascrusing in the median at about 50 then ramped it up when i went by to get right behind me if i ran..... The tickets for Delaware Co. still think they will drop the speed on it?

There is a station right off of 95, exit 151. They probably caught you between there and 61 somewhere and set it up around 36-37. They'll do that a lot out there. Delware is very strict on speeding but they have a lower penalty than most I believe. I think they just want the money from you, so you may be able to get them to drop it.