noob here

Prophet

Thx for the support GSRchick , and I'll make sure I hunt down those other Probe Punks for u , and i see i don't get to much respect here with the car i plan to modify...but I'm guessing the 1st civics got the same attitude in the begininng..So all I can say is ...I hope I can prove you all wrong and maybe u will respect my probe when its done. smile.gif

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Prophet:

Thx for the support GSRchick , and I'll make sure I hunt down those other Probe Punks for u , and i see i don't get to much respect here with the car i plan to modify...but I'm guessing the 1st civics got the same attitude in the begininng..So all I can say is ...I hope I can prove you all wrong and maybe u will respect my probe when its done. smile.gif

To be brutally honest, probably not. There have been plenty of probes out there with plenty of people thinking they would be fun to mod. Unless you somehow happen to have a turbo model (rare) then don't even bother.

Something else to keep in mind is that you can swap a type r motor into a civic and whatever else, and then it's only as fast as a STOCK LT1 Camaro. Is it worth the work? Not when you can pick up a stock LT1 Camaro for 5 grand.

Camaros are just to common and mustangs I like to be a little different ...Civics aren't much better but they look better than camaros in my opinion. Civics would also be lighter than a camaro. Isn't the camaros power in the low-end though...slow top end? I don't know so don't start bashing ...I'm asking tongue.gif

Oh God. Why would you even go there?

Ok so whats the top of the line civic they sell? Civic Si right? What do they run stock? 15's... Yes they weigh under 3000lbs but then only have 160 hp? stock to the crank and shit for torque. Civics are also FWD weight transfer is to the rear when accelorating and among other variables makes FWD shitty for drag racing.

Ok, so the top of the line Camaro or Mustang they used to/do sell run what stock, 13's. Yes they weight alot more, but they are putting alot more power to the crank, not to mention they mave alot more potential for power than any other factory 4cyl, and they are RWD. Someone on here traped 102 with just a filter and a lid in a z28. So if thats what you consider slow top end, than sure.

Also, I hate to be a dick, but what makes you think you are being different by modding a probe? Because they aren't as commen as Mustangs or Camaros? I see probes "modded" out atleast once a day. If you want to be different, buy an Eagle Summit LS and spray it with 100shot.

Originally posted by Y0gi:

This kid is ignorant... We have ourselves another MrMeanr.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I have actually seen some nicely modded Probes, althuogh the ricy ones tend to out-weigh them. The borla exhaust actually sounds pretty good on them and the suspension isn't hard to work on.

I find it funny that some of the people on here are telling you you're car is worthless to mod while they have similar if not worse platforms in their sigs. Don't get discoursged and keep your sense of humor on this site.

Thx Mallard... I will do that. Btw I'm doing an engine swap on my probe for a j-spec with 50k mi on it, and I'll show my probe too... and let u drive it and u tell me if u still think its a bucket tongue.gif

Camaros are too common , and probe is modded ...but How many do u see compared to civics, integras, mustangs,camaros,supras,eclipse,Sentra-Se-R Spec-V, and neons? I meant by slow top-end power , that it takes longer to get there not that its not there in the camaro. smile.gif

... Wow phil, thanks. Do you see me telling people im going to put down three hundre HP for under2k in my daily? Nope.

I know it sounds mean, but I really dont mean it to be. This kid sounds ignorant as shit, and needs educated. Anyone who comes in saying that theyre going to put down that much in a probe for that cheap is going to catch shit. Think camaros are slow? race one. Think that they are common? Then think about why... fast = cheap. Whya re fast probes so rare? Fast probe = $$$$$. You wanna spend the money? Fine, go ahead. When you put down 290, then come talk. Until then, good luck.

Well the engine I'm getting will only cost 1300 with shipping , and I have some1 to install already. A zex dry kit will cost roughly 530 so yea ur looking at under 2grand for it all smile.gif give or take a few dollars. One of your own told me how to mod my car ...they have a mustang Cobra.

I never said camaros are slow...by any means ...I have drove a few . i like them but just not something i would want to mod....like i keep saying i want to be a little different with the probe..i don't mind forking over the money ...just the same as all of you do with the hondas and acuras. The 290hp sounds like an attainable goal... thats why i said it and that was a max or a starter depending how easily or difficult it is to get there. but just with j-spec and zex it will put me around 260-270hp thats not including headers intake or any of the other goodies. I'm not here to bash any other cars , just stating my opinion on them and asking questions ...this is relatively new to me I still have a lot to learn and if u want to teach ..i'll listen ...if u know what your talking about tongue.gif

...just the same as all of you do with the hondas and acuras...

You are thinking about www.ohiohondas.com graemlins/lol.gif

Are you going for 290 to the wheels, or crank? Remember that Zex kits are rated to the crank. If you compare a 100hp jet from a zex kit, to a 100hp jet to an NX kit, the NX jet will be larger because NX rates their shots to the wheels. If your going to go for a real nitrous setup, go with an NX wet kit. Slaping a $500 Zex kit on there would be a mistake.

IMO, Zex kits are shit, and are for lazy people that don't want to take the time to set up a real nitrous kit.

...just the same as all of you do with the hondas and acuras...

Not too many of them around here. I know that one of the Honda guys on here that actually went through a type R swap wishes he had just left the car stock and used it for a daily driver, and picked up something else to mod.

Listen, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not trying to be a dick. You seem to be fairly new to the car world, and we are honestly trying to help. I know what it's like to waste a bunch of money on a stupid idea, I've been there and I would like to give advice to people to help them from making the same mistakes. Take it as you will, but being hardheaded about this probably isn't the way to go. Just stop and listen for a bit, you could very well learn something.

If you are truly wanting to do a swap, or even just wanting to be different, at least start off with a rear wheel drive platform. Front wheel drive is far to fragile and costly to be worth going with, not to mention the horrible traction problems.

I have never been to ohiohondas...lol

I'm not sure if it will be to the crank or wheels...I was told to get a zex dry kit put it at 75 shot , get ngk spark plugs 1 degree cooler than what they are suppose to be and that would be the safest and best setup for my car to put out more hp.

What are the traction problems with fwd? , and if i were to go with another car it would probably be awd. What cars would u say is best to go with rwd or awd ...name a few of both awd and rwd.

Well if you are looking for the best way to run nitrous, than you would want an NX wet kit, not Zex. Period.

AWD has its pros and cons. AWD is great for launching, obviously. All 4 wheels launching, you have more traction, and will have better 60ft times. But with AWD, you have greater powertrain loss. I guess you could put it like this:

If an AWD talon and a FWD talon with all of the exact same mods go from a dig, the AWD car will win. If they both go from a roll, the FWD car is more likly to win because there is no traction issues.

RWD is better than FWD period. Launching a car transfers the weight to the rear of the car which means in a FWD car it gives less traction and on a RWD car more traction because all the force is being put on the rear.

Cars best for you? anything cheep I guess, you are trying to sqeeze 300 hp out of a probe gt for under 2 grand.

hmmm I was told though that dry is best for my car not wet. ...Question...What if u had stiffer shocks in th rear..to prevent some of that weight transfer would that help or not? if I were to put different size tires on the front and back..example. 16's in front and 18's rear and add stiffer shocks in rear would that help any in your opinion?

hmmm I was told though that dry is best for my car not wet.

Who the hell told you that? Dry kit never are, and never will be the best nitrous setups. Do you know how nitrous works?

Dry kits came along just recently in the automotive world as the "New technology of Nitroius systems." They are pretty much made so that there are less parts per kit (less of a cost to manufacture), any moron can instal a kit, and becasue they can sell them for as much as a wet kit. Dry kits work by using bottle pressure to increade fuel pressure through your fuel rail, by means of a regulator that comes with the kit that links to you existing fuel pressure regulator.

But the problem with this is one: Injectores have their limits, upgrading to larger injectores is difficult because you are not running nitrous all the time. The second problem is that when you spray with a basic dry system, an uneven amount of nitrous is going into each cylinder. You might have a perfect mixture of fuel and nitrous in cyl 4 but 2,3,or 1 would be running lean because their is more nitrous in those cyl than fuel is being delivered, or they could be ritch becaue on cyl is sucking up a majority of the nitrous.

A wet kit is the only way to go. It sprays an even amount of fuel and nitrous through your jets, so that even if more nitrous is going into cyl 4 than in the rest, their is still an even mixture of fuel and nitrous. There is a reason NX does not make dry kits.

I am going to say it one more time. You said you want to do it right, and you said you are looking for 300hp for under two grand. Well you are going to get the most power out of an NX wet kit only. NOS solinoids are shit, and ZEX kits are cheep janky ricer dry kits. NX wet kit.