noob here

Prophet

My 1st time out to see every1 was last saturday . I drive a '94 probe GT with no mods all stock .Its burgundy and black , 5 speed . Soon to have intake and exhaust... don't really know where to start .....any suggestions I'm open to them at the moment . I haven't been to the track yet to get any quarter mi times but i do plan to. Is there any1 else here with a probe gt?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is 15's low 16's very slow on quarter mi? Isn't the civics and integras fwd too. My probe has a Mazda engine ; Mx-6 , 626 has same engine thats in my probe gt. I see my car is not considered powerful :(

Guest mudbutt
I think what people are trying to say is that the car is the wrong platform to modify. You are starting out with strikes against you. It is fwd, yes civics and integras are too, that doesnt make them much better. However, they have the advanage of a huge aftermarket of cheap parts. You CAN make a probe fast, but by the time you are said and done you couldve spent less money and had something that performs much better, be it straight line or corner carver. RWD or AWD is a much better way to go.

Withought digging deep into your pockets, Nitrous is going to be your only bet at ever sseeing anything close 13's. Strat with an intake and exaust. Don't spend a fortune on an intake, you will see about the same gains with a $50 kit as you will with a $200 kit. And shop around for what exhaust (I don't know what the prob guys prefer). And then throw on a basic wet nitrous kit, and you will have about the potential you will reach without getting into spending big bucks.

yea i love vr-4's just to deep for my pockets right now ....until later My probe will do ... i only paid 800 bucks for it smile.gif So any money spent is not to much and All service records were with the car and manual spare factory key and keyless entry . Only downside it had 215,000 mi on it .

i like the look of the vr4 , and its either gonna be the vr4 or the Supra. i saw a really good price on a '89 turbo supra for only 2600.00. The vr-4 will just be for looks ...but aren't the mustangs pretty heavy themselves? Which is heavier vr4 or mustang?

Guest GSRchick714

HAHA...I used to have a Probe - keep it as your beater and buy something else to mod - seriously. Especially if it has that many miles on it :eek:

Oh...Welcome! smile.gif

Originally posted by GSRchick714:

HAHA...I used to have a Probe - keep it as your beater and buy something else to mod - seriously. Especially if it has that many miles on it :eek:

Oh...Welcome! smile.gif

great integra minds think alike

I plan on swapping the engine out for a klze motor, and i don't want to have another integra on the road...to many as is... civics too.. i wanted to be a little different with the probe. check out probeaddiction.com they have some real nice and fast probes there. thats where I have to buy my parts almost nobody else carries probe parts :(

Guest GSRchick714
Originally posted by BLACK ITR GUY:

great integra minds think alike

smile.gif

Prophet: If you are planning on sticking with the Probe - good luck and don't get discouraged! smile.gif

Probe = cheap, semi-reliable daily driver. Leave it at that.

VR4 = Heavy, semi-reliable, expensive to mod/fix, and not really great at any one thing.

Ok, AWD helps you launch...but it's heavy, don't really need it. 1/4 mile track times aren't great because of the parasitic loss of the AWD and the weight slowing you down. Take it out to a roadcourse, you are destroying brakes and trannies. It won't even keep up with stock 240sx's because, again, its too heavy.

As for the Probe idea...at over 200,000 miles the engine is going to be too tired to handle any kind of upgrading. It will either need a solid rebuild, or a replacement if you plan on doing anything more than an intake and exhaust. An intake really won't help you out at all, just get a decent drop in filter. An exhaust probably won't help you out either. Increasing exhaust diameter decreases backpressure. Backpressure builds up low-end torque. However, a lack of backpressure does help top end, which is not something that would help you in the least with a street car. Keep the low end torque for leaving stoplights, leave your exhaust alone.