The Firebird has a problem.

MrMeanGreen

Long story short, the car at Norwalk today ran a 12.2 @ 112 (14psi) compared to my previous best at the same track three months ago of 10.95 @ 126 (12psi).

The #7 cylinder is showing constant misfiring through Hptuners scanning, and the car has an audible miss.

Plug: Changed with a brand new one, gapped at .035 - no change

Wire: Changed with another cylinder wire, then a wire from a friend's 5.3L Silverado - no change

Coil pack: Swapped with #5 coil pack - no change

Compression: 180

Harnesses: all plugged in

PCM: Reset - no change

Then I unplug the #7 injector harness. The car runs the same as it did with it the injector firing, still missing on scan and audibly. I think this is the problem.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm also hitting 96% duty cycle on these Delphi 50#, so I have to change them anyways.

Opinions?

12.2 @ 112 w/ 1.8x 60' (1000 RPM launch). Not bad for a V7 :D

Is the injector getting the pulse? I am not sure if you can look at it with a test light to see it the voltage pulse is getting there. I know that a digital multimeter would not be able to measure it unless you had one with a peak hold or a delta fuction, the pulse time is to short for most meters to react and register the actual voltage. If nothing else I have an o-scope that I can look at that with. Let me know.

Guest racinbird
Ive got a noid light if you want to borrow it, plugs into the injector connector and flashes to show pulse. Sounds like a bad injector if it ran the same with it firing and unplugged. You could always just take a long thin screwdriver and place on the injector in question and to your ear. Listen to see if it sounds like it is clicking the same as a known good cylinder. Sort of back yard mechanic but works :)

The pulse is there, just the injector is dying (not actually completely dead, yet).

I've heard from several people recently that the Delphis hate heat and it kills them. Go figure, the #7 is right above the primary tube from the header, back in the corner next to the firewall. They've been in there about a year, so it's time to upgrade anyways.

I can't believe I've maxed out 50# already. Shit :)

The pulse is there, just the injector is dying (not actually completely dead, yet).

I've heard from several people recently that the Delphis hate heat and it kills them. Go figure, the #7 is right above the primary tube from the header, back in the corner next to the firewall. They've been in there about a year, so it's time to upgrade anyways.

I can't believe I've maxed out 50# already. Shit :)

The 50 pounders suck, the 65lb motronics are alot easier to dial in.

still, 50lbs x 8 injectors = alot of fuel

Hit it with a screw driver, I did it to the sentra and it worked!!!!!!!! ;)

I agree with rl, its sticking in some form or another, just get new one anyways if your running such a high cycle duty.

No doubt about it.

I've come to find out that since LS1s run such high fuel pressure (58-62psi stock, mine levels out about 70-72psi under full boost), the 50# are good for about 550rwhp on a boosted car, the 60# 650rwhp, and the 65# 800rwhp. Being the car makes 14psi and the addition of a few minor mods, I'm guessing it sits about 580-590rwhp right now. We'll find out as it will need dynoed again to tune it with the new setup.

I plan on getting the 65s if it's cost effective.

Nate, yeah. Marketing at it's best :)

are you going to get rid of those 50'??? They might work for the Z24. Some of the LT1/LS1 injectors work in the head with minor modification to the harness and casting. If you plan to get rid of em, i might be willing to buy em if theyll fit.

400lbs or fuel (50# x 8) is alot but...

Most of us FD guys are running 480 to 520lbs in injectors (2 x 160#) + (2 x 80 or 95#).

good god, are they low Z?

Jesus, how do those things idle???

I'll guess I have to look over balljoint's car, I don't gander into the Wankel land to often.

Swap the #5 and #7 injectors around. See if the problem moves to the #5 cylinder.

We're going to do that.

I believe the problem is heat related. #8 was a little spotty too, and since those injectors are in the back of the engine under the cowl with no direct air-flow I think they are getting hot and malfunctioning. Those Delphi's are very sensitive to, well, ANYTHING because they are garbage. The car did not sound like it was missing when I picked it up, but at the track in the heat it DEFINITELY was. I confirmed this by pulling the harness to the #7 injector and the pitch of the motor did not change. When I dropped it off last night, it sounded fine also. I was too tired to put the scanner on it and check, so I'll leave that up to Anthony.

I'll be running continuity tests in the harness in addition to swapping the injectors around.

Bt no matter what, I'm upgrading. But I need to know if one is flake, and it seems difficult to find out without heating the piss outta them. I think another way to go would be to remove my cowl insulation to allow hot air to escape the rear of the engine compartment if it's indeed a heat-related issue.

Things to do :(