Mark3 Supra people, and places to go for parts locally?

Bam

I'm getting into an old supra turbo, but it needs a few things. Anyone have any idea as to where to get a new computer for the thing? or could I get the one I have repaired? Would any computer out of an old supra turbo work?

And for the peple that know about these cars or mod them, first mods you recommend?

Obviously its a turbo car so free flow exhuast and more boost is easy, but I want to do it so it *could* last me awhile.

I've read the headgaskets are extremely weak on these cars, is this true?

How much boost can I run safely?

And lastly, you guys have any tips on things to remove to save weight, I know I can take a torch and just start cutting if I wanted too, but maybe there are some hidden heavy things I could remove first.

Thanks in advance

months? most I've heard from 3 people is 3 weeks max, more likely 2. Anyways though, yes it's going to get a complete overhaul before I crank up the boost and have at it. Thanks though for the concern, I definitely would not like to blow it up. btw how's your car comin dave, this summer by chance?

Anyone know where I can get a custom DP made, catless preffered? I got the hookup on a complete exhaust, they just won't rid the cats for me.

12 psi max out of the stock ecu/turbo. Get 550 cc injectors and an AFM from a lexus v8 and you can run almost 1 bar - which would be good for a mid to low 13 second quarter mile. Good luck losing weight because the whole thing is made out of steel and not light. A 3" exhaust will be the best mod, and you can get a k&n filter and chop off the front of the stock box. The biggest hassel is keeping these things reliable with a ton of miles on them. Copper plugs are fine, and I wouldn't suggest any synthetic oil that is too slick, because the rings can get loose, and they spin bearing VERY easily. Supraforums.com has a great MkIII board. You'll also most likely need some form of an aftermarket BOV because the stock ones don't last either. There is a VW/Porsche/Saab plastic model that is cheap, but you'll have to research a part number. Anything else I can help you with, I use to have one but I am glad that is no longer.

Guest mudbutt
12 psi max out of the stock ecu/turbo. Get 550 cc injectors and an AFM from a lexus v8 and you can run almost 1 bar - which would be good for a mid to low 13 second quarter mile. Good luck losing weight because the whole thing is made out of steel and not light. A 3" exhaust will be the best mod, and you can get a k&n filter and chop off the front of the stock box. The biggest hassel is keeping these things reliable with a ton of miles on them. Copper plugs are fine, and I wouldn't suggest any synthetic oil that is too slick, because the rings can get loose, and they spin bearing VERY easily. Supraforums.com has a great MkIII board. You'll also most likely need some form of an aftermarket BOV because the stock ones don't last either. There is a VW/Porsche/Saab plastic model that is cheap, but you'll have to research a part number. Anything else I can help you with, I use to have one but I am glad that is no longer.

If you know what you are doing, the stock injectors are good way past 12psi on a stock turbo. All that is needed is an afc and someone that knows what they are doing. Ive seen 15psi out of stock injectors and afm(yes, the car is THAT rich up top) there is enough resolution in the stock afm past the stock fc point. But with no fuel mods fco is around 11-12psi. Id also suggest doing a walbro pump and j tube bypass if you plan on upping the boost. As for plugs, the best for the money are NGK copper p# bcpr6es. Synthetic oil doesnt cause spun bearings, low pressure does. The main problem associated with synthetic are leaks forming due to old gaskets or seals that were basicly heald together with old oil deposits. Best 1st mods are downpipe, exhaust, and filter. After that wastegate shims or a boost controller to get you just under fuel cut.

Oh, ok, lol. I didn't know I figured it was just a tiny site. I'll be out tonight hopefully.

My first mods are definitely a full exhaust and the airbox mod w/ K&N.

Does anyone know if all the ECU's will swap with the same gen cars? Like could I use a 91 turbo ecu on my 88 turbo? or what years are different? The car won't even start and derek said that it wasn't getting power somewhere, and it pointed to the computer. So I'd like to find someone I could test theres, so its if that I know what to replace rather than going thru the entire car.

87-88 turbo cars have a different pintout on the ECU's than the 89-92 cars. No the wiring harness and ECU's are not interchangable.

If its not starting, try checking to see if its getting both fuel and spark and verifying timing. These things will start even if there is a bad sensor or two.

Muddbutt: I didn't mean synthetics were too slick for the motor, just the seals and oil-control rings.

I'd check and see if the fuse for the ecm is good and if it is make sure you have power at the computer if you don't run a new wire or fix the factory one. computers rarely go bad and tons of other things can make the scanner not want to comunicate with the ecm...

my car might drive a little this fall adding efi to a car that came factory carbed and trying to make it look pretty much factory is a rewarding, but time consuming process