Freeze Plug question

302Powered

some type of blockage? Maybe the first one was just bad, and the others werent put it the right way?

The rubber plug I installed was done right. I've had the car to the track and raced it several times since. I just can't understand why it didn't blow out at the track.

-Mike

There is a way around this, but I have to warn you that you have to make sure that its got antifreeze cuz it will break the block if you don't. One of the mods that some engine builders do is to take a strip of sheet metal and riviet it across the freeze plugs, because a plug coming out going down a track at speed, with slicks, will turn into a wild ride more times than not.

As far as what's causing it. I don't believe that water pressure has shit to do with it. Freeze plugs are taper fit and concave in the block. So when pressure pushes it, it flattens out and gets tighter. And the pressure required would be blowing hoses, and the seams out of the radiator, so I would look elsewhere.

Two things can cause what you are seeing, improper installation not withstanding. And I know that aint the case anyhow.

1. The motor has been apart/had a bad plug at some point and the hole has enlarged from either having plugs in and out of the block or from corosion. Hope like hell this is it.

2. the block is cracked at that plug and the crack is opening up and the plug simply cant be held in the hole. Not much to do here but strap it and start looking for a fresh block to transfer your internals to.

If you want to buy the magnaflux chemicals I have the light to do magnafluxing, at least teh photodye chemical type of crack checking. But if it's cracked through and through, green antifreeze lights up real well to and will show a crack otherwise not seen. Short of that, plug off the radiator ports and heater core ports on the motor, fill it most of the way up with antifreeze/water and pressureize it with air and see if the crack appears. But don't get overzelous with the air pressure.40 or 50 PSI in plenty.

a 1/2"-3/4" wide strap made of 1/4" thick steel would hold it in. I dont think i would rivet it in, i would tap the block and use 1/4" bolts to secure it with some sealant on the threads to keep them from leaking (since most likely the bolts will protrude into the water jackets)

i have taps if you need to borrow them.