Any Computer Geniuses here?

Todd#43

Help!

I recently "upgraded" to AT&T's new Uverse set up. You know - hd tv signal over the fiber-optic phone line, coupled with High Speed Internet Access.

Anyway, everything works great - except I can't connect one of my computers to the gateway. I've tried it with two different wireless cards, two different ethernet cards and NOTHING. Well, not exactly nothing. The computer sees the gateway (wireless or wired) and connects to it but it seems like the gateway doesnt see the computer. Make sense?

If tried releasing and renewing the IP address from the command prompt, but windows keeps giving it an address in the windows default range. I tried manually configuring the IP (from the TCP/IP properties) and the gateway will see it, but I still cant get to the internet from there.

Anyone have any ideas?

just so happens I'm one of the guys who works on eqpt for the backbone of the Uverse system on a daily basis.

check your 'status' of the network adapter, check "sent" and "received" packets, if one of those is less than 10, you probably have a defective network cable or network adapter.

Also. What is your gateway IP and subnet?

just so happens I'm one of the guys who works on eqpt for the backbone of the Uverse system on a daily basis.

check your 'status' of the network adapter, check "sent" and "received" packets, if one of those is less than 10, you probably have a defective network cable or network adapter.

Also. What is your gateway IP and subnet?

The cable and the adapter (tried three wireless cards and two ethernet cards) and they function fine in two other computers so I'm pretty sure that they are not the problem.

I don't think the Uverse system is the problem. I can force the IP, Subnet Mask into the adapter and it'll connect to the gateway no problem, but I still cant connect to the internet.

By the way, the Uverse set up is WAY COOL. The TV stuff is awesome, and the DSL is wicked fast (on the other two computers in the house). I just wish I could get ALL my computers up.

I dont know anything about the hardware setup required for the Uverse setup. Do you have a DSL modem + wireless router or is it just one device?

Its all one big "residential gateway" Controls the internet, VOIP Phone, and the TV. The TV part is tits - beats cable and dish hands down. The internet is fast as fuck too.

I just wish it worked on ALL of my computers.

Todd, see if you can log into the router with one of the PCs you have hard wired to the gateway. Some wireless gateways have what's known as MAC filtering on them, and have an access list set up on them to keep people from WARing your wireless signal from outside your domicile. This would fall under some advanced wireless setting on the gateway. I see this from time to time with some of our company's remote users who use our corporate wireless laptops on their residential gateways.

If any of this insulted your intelligence, or makes no sense, I apologize. Just trying to think of things that might be causing this that I have run in to with my users at work. Feel free to PM me if you wanna get real techy geeky with this.

the uverse install tech should have made sure your internet was working before he left. does it work on other computers, or are you just having a problem with this one computer?, you can call at&t to resend a tech back out, tell them it's never worked, they wont charge you. no matter what the agent on the phone says, you tell the tech that arrives at your door that its never worked, and ask him not to charge you, and he wont. he has control over that.

Todd, see if you can log into the router with one of the PCs you have hard wired to the gateway. Some wireless gateways have what's known as MAC filtering on them, and have an access list set up on them to keep people from WARing your wireless signal from outside your domicile. This would fall under some advanced wireless setting on the gateway. I see this from time to time with some of our company's remote users who use our corporate wireless laptops on their residential gateways.

If any of this insulted your intelligence, or makes no sense, I apologize. Just trying to think of things that might be causing this that I have run in to with my users at work. Feel free to PM me if you wanna get real techy geeky with this.

I've had three devices connected wirelessly to this gateway - two pc's and a psp - and could connect a bunch more, so its not the mac filtering.

I'm really at a loss. I can force the IP and the default gateway and connect either wirelessly or wired to the gateway. I can access all of the shared files and folders on my network but I can't get to the internet.

I'm beginning to think this is a windows issue, but I'm honestly not sure about that as everything worked fine before the new router.

the uverse install tech should have made sure your internet was working before he left. does it work on other computers, or are you just having a problem with this one computer?, you can call at&t to resend a tech back out, tell them it's never worked, they wont charge you. no matter what the agent on the phone says, you tell the tech that arrives at your door that its never worked, and ask him not to charge you, and he wont. he has control over that.

The dude who came out to do the install did a fantastic job. I've got no complaints - he was here about 8 hours.

I watched him set up the other computers and since I've set up wireless before, I figured I wouldnt have any trouble with this one. It should be pretty easy.

That being said, I've called Uverse tech support no less than 6 times. All they tell me is they dont support the computers or cards (unless I buy the card from them) so they can't fix it.

I've had three devices connected wirelessly to this gateway - two pc's and a psp

And they were able to get to the Internet or not? I didn't see you directly answer (I might have missed it) when someone asked if any device can get to the internet or if it is only this one computer that is having problems.

I'm really at a loss. I can force the IP and the default gateway and connect either wirelessly or wired to the gateway. I can access all of the shared files and folders on my network but I can't get to the internet.

I'm beginning to think this is a windows issue, but I'm honestly not sure about that as everything worked fine before the new router.

Honestly, in my experience, the all-in-one devices are crap. I haven't heard of a good one. I used to have the Linksys WCG200, which is a cable modem/wireless router all-in-one. It was so unreliable and always had issues like this. I replaced it with a Surfboard cable modem + Linksys WRT110 and everything has been working more then perfect.

Since you can access the gateway, get to the web interface of the gateway and check it's status. See if you are getting an IP and other DHCP information (subnet mask, DNS servers, etc) from your ISP. Make sure that local DHCP is enabled on it too.

Typically the ISPs are also responsible for providing updates for their hardware. Call support and ask if there are any updates available for your device.

And they were able to get to the Internet or not? I didn't see you directly answer (I might have missed it) when someone asked if any device can get to the internet or if it is only this one computer that is having problems.

Yup, everything else that connected to the router has no problem getting to the internet. Its just one computer that's having a problem.

Honestly, in my experience, the all-in-one devices are crap. I haven't heard of a good one. I used to have the Linksys WCG200, which is a cable modem/wireless router all-in-one. It was so unreliable and always had issues like this. I replaced it with a Surfboard cable modem + Linksys WRT110 and everything has been working more then perfect.

I've had plenty of problems back in the day with the Linksys products - routers and adapters. Haven't used them in years. The 2Wire products have been pretty bullet-proof for me. Used the last one for over three years with no issues.

Since you can access the gateway, get to the web interface of the gateway and check it's status. See if you are getting an IP and other DHCP information (subnet mask, DNS servers, etc) from your ISP. Make sure that local DHCP is enabled on it too.

Typically the ISPs are also responsible for providing updates for their hardware. Call support and ask if there are any updates available for your device.

I'm getting everything I need from the router - the other two PC's that are connected have no problems.

The hardware is brand new (well two weeks old) and the firmware in it is up to date. Again, two other computers are connected currently and run no problem. The network adapters that I've tried in the computer in question also function fine in other computers that connected to this gateway. I'm pretty sure that the hardware (gateway, adapters, cables) aren't the issue.

Unlikely cause but check the number of available DHCP leases from your router. You have tried wired and wireless and neither work? When you assign a static IP, you made sure it is not being used already and that it is a valid IP for the subnet being used internally?

Do you have a 2wire device? Which one?

I'm just trying to come up with anything...

Unlikely cause but check the number of available DHCP leases from your router. You have tried wired and wireless and neither work? When you assign a static IP, you made sure it is not being used already and that it is a valid IP for the subnet being used internally?

Do you have a 2wire device? Which one?

I'm just trying to come up with anything...

I've had as many as four devices connected to the router with no issues other than this particular computer.

Ive tried it wired and wireless and it doesnt work. I can force the IP (yes, one that's not being used by the other devices) and it will connect to the router and allow me access to my network (files and printers on other computers) but I can not get to the internet.

Oh yeah...the router is a 2Wire 3800HGV.

could be a uverse problem, those reps on the phone are not tech's they dumb as hell, the only guys who actually get training on the uverse stuff is the outside techs, the phone reps have formulated nonsense reponses for whatever problem you tell them you have. just tell them nothing is working, no tv, no nothing. (that way they will dispatch a tech out) Then when the uverse tech gets there, let him know just the internet is not working, and never has been. at&t may not have your node provisioned for you to log onto the net, they turn up each user individually, someone may have overlooked something in provisioning, I've seen it happen before!

Don't know if you have tried this yet, but it sounds like your DNS servers are manually configured on the computer.

Type "cmd" from "Start" -> "Run" and type " ipconfig /all"

It should have 1 or 2 address were it says DNS Servers......

Make sure that these are the same on the computer that can't connect to the internet and others that can.

If you haven't tried this, hopefully it helps.

could be a uverse problem, those reps on the phone are not tech's they dumb as hell, the only guys who actually get training on the uverse stuff is the outside techs, the phone reps have formulated nonsense reponses for whatever problem you tell them you have. just tell them nothing is working, no tv, no nothing. (that way they will dispatch a tech out) Then when the uverse tech gets there, let him know just the internet is not working, and never has been. at&t may not have your node provisioned for you to log onto the net, they turn up each user individually, someone may have overlooked something in provisioning, I've seen it happen before!

I suppose I could call them again, but I'm doubtfull that its a uverse issue.

The other computers in the house work fine.

Don't know if you have tried this yet, but it sounds like your DNS servers are manually configured on the computer.

Make sure that these are the same on the computer that can't connect to the internet and others that can.

If you aren't getting DHCP information (like I think he said he isn't) he needs to have them manually configured. If that's what you meant, you're right and he should look into it.

When you manually configure your IP and subnet, you need to configure the default gateway (IP of your 2wire device) and DNS servers (should be listed in the status of your 2wire device or in the ipconfig /all of the other working PCs). Have you already done that?

Are you using the HPNAv3 functionality of the router or trying to plug directly into the router? I've personally never used HPNA, or even had hardware that supported it.

And since everyone here is just kinda fumbling around, you can check out this: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/2wire

There is ridiculously nerdy people there that can help you that have experience specific to 2wire. DSLReports has alot of cool stuff there.

The two computers that are currently connected are getting the DNS and IP automatically.

The third computer will not obtain the DNS or the IP automatically, so I tried forcing them from the TCP/IP properties. When I did that I could finally connect to the router and the rest of my network, but not the internet.

If you aren't getting DHCP information (like I think he said he isn't) he needs to have them manually configured. If that's what you meant, you're right and he should look into it.

When you manually configure your IP and subnet, you need to configure the default gateway (IP of your 2wire device) and DNS servers (should be listed in the status of your 2wire device or in the ipconfig /all of the other working PCs). Have you already done that?

Yup, did that and it will connect to the gateway (router) and the rest of my network, but not to the internet.

Are you using the HPNAv3 functionality of the router or trying to plug directly into the router? I've personally never used HPNA, or even had hardware that supported it.

Right now I'm plugged right into the router. I think the HPNA is more for the IPTV than the regular computer stuff. One of the computers that is connected is wireless (802.11g) and the other is wired with a 10/100 Ethernet card. They work PERFECTLY

And since everyone here is just kinda fumbling around, you can check out this: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/2wire

There is ridiculously nerdy people there that can help you that have experience specific to 2wire. DSLReports has alot of cool stuff there.

I'll give that a try. If its too techy, I probably wont get it though.:D

Let us know if you figure it out.

One last shot: Do the functioning computer use the 2wire device as the DNS server or do they use the ISP's DNS servers? I think they use the 2wire device, but which are you making the non-working computer?