helmet law?

natedogg624

ok so i don't know about any of you, but i am an avid wearer of helmets, yes there were the few times when i was newbie if it were a short trip that i didn't wear it and chose oakleys over safety im guilty of that. but i have since grown out of that phase and always wear my helmet now and encourage other riders to do the same.

ever since i've been in high school if i ever had to do a research paper it was always motorcycle related, and most of the time relating to helmet laws and why ohio doesn't have them.

i don't have enough time to write out a full essay and frankly i dont think anyone here wants to read it. but most of my research found that people don't want a law requiring the use of a helmet because of the freedom of choice and it basically centers around taken away a persons right to choose or something to that nature. i never really found a way to counter that argument until today, talking to my ol' wise grandma about the subject.

i told her that there are two states that border each other, one with the helmet law and the other without, and when the riders cross the border into the state that doesn't have the law, they pull over and take their helmets off. this completely baffled her and said "then why do they make us wear seatbelts."

if i dont wear a seatbelt im only putting myself at risk, same goes for a helmet. yet they make us wear seatbelts but don't require helmets to be worn. doesn't make any sense to me.

and there are the obvious factors about wearing a helmet such as decreasing the risk of serious head trauma, etc.

what are your thoughts on the matter? im seriously considering starting to meet with state officials to see what i/we can do about it.

people who don't wear helmets and refuse to do so i would also like to see your comments on here as well. and please respect everyone's opinion on the matter whether it be for or against.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im like you i am guilty of runnin errands or whatever with no lid. i only live 4 miles from my work and hate wearing my expensive helmet to work only to come home and with it smelling like diesel or gas so i just sport the shades.

but i am all for a helmet law. honestly i dont like to ride with people who dont sport one. the last thing i wanna see if one of my buddies thoughts scattered across the highway in a gray slime.

I see where you're coming from, but I personally do not want a helmet law. Not because I don't wear a helmet; I've gone without once or twice in the past but now I wear it every time I'm on the bike. I simply feel that the government has no place making these sorts of laws (including seatbelt laws). Yes, it is stupid to ride without a helmet, but it should be a personal choice that each rider makes for him/herself, as it is not something that places others in danger or really affects anyone else.

That being said, can anyone tell me what the hell is up with those idiots you see that ride around with their helmet hanging off the side of their bikes from the underseat helmet locks? What is the point of owning a helmet and bringing it with you if it's just going to be a decoration?

well if they make us wear seatbelts but not helmets then we should at least abolish the seatbelt law. nothing wrong with that right...? i agree that the govt has no place in forcing us to be safe. its my choice right? but if they've already got the seatbelt law locked down might as well try and tack on a helmet law to that as well IMO

and no kawi kid i know not everyone will abide by it but it will certainly make more people wear it. there are so many people that could have been saved by a simple helmet.

and i know some will argue those are the dumb idiots we want off the road anyways but still i do not like to see or read front page in the paper about anyone get hurt or killed in a motorcycle wreck.

and harb that is my BIGGEST pet peeve is seeing riders with the helmet on the side. wtf? but thats another topic :)

it should be a personal choice that each rider makes for him/herself, as it is not something that places others in danger or really affects anyone else.

I disagree... Not having a helmet law affects all motorcycle riders through more expensive insurance rates.

I won't ride with anybody that doesn't wear a helmet. If somebody is dumb enough not to wear a helmet they are too dumb to ride with/near me.

I won't ride with anybody that doesn't wear a helmet. If somebody is dumb enough not to wear a helmet they are too dumb to ride with/near me.

there are a few people that wont ask me to ride cuz i have the same mentality

IMHO, the generation of laws that enforce safety are usually the byproduct of litigation where the end result was that in order to prevent a future tragedy and protect some knucklehead from themself, a law must be put into place to help those from the murky end of the gene pool exercise common sense. I for one don't leave my driveway without one on my melon when on the bike, and have become to the point where riding in a car without a seatbelt is actually uncomfortable for me. That being said, I am not a fan of the gub'ment forcing people to take certain safety precautions. So long as your actions regarding safety do not put anyone else at risk, then hey...it's your soul's vessel. Have at it. However I am waiting for the day where an insurance company will be allowed to tell a potential or even current customer in a helmet-free state that "we don't have to pay out because you don't wear a helmet", or have premiums or casualty payouts based on your choice of safety gear. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but for one that's a hypothetical situation, and two, probably a whole 'nother direction for this thread to go.

Seatbelts are kind of a different animal in that you as the driver may chose to not wear a seatbelt, but in the event you are either a passenger or driving with passengers in your vehicle, you have to potential to become a projectile inside your vehicle in an accident, and run the risk of injuring someone else. This is where your decision can affect the safety of others, and should be mandated. This is why some states have gone to fining individuals in the vehicle for seatbelt infractions as well as or in lieu of the driver. As the driver, you are ultimately responsible for the passengers in your car, but someone capable of exercising a little common sense should be responsible for themselves and to those around them.

Like I said, not a fan of laws forcing things on people. But I am also not a fan of those who ride without a lid. I come from the school of thought that with freedom comes responsibility. Have someone that you are responsible to or responsible for? Protect yourself. If you're a sibling-less orphan that never knew anyone that loved you and don't have a significant other? Do stanup wheelies in a jock strap and Oakleys for all I care.

I haven't gotten that strict with my friends that chose to ride without one, but must admit it crosses my mind. I have seen too many open skulls and closed caskets to want to be that close to something should God-forbid it happen again. Then again I think, "well, whether I am with them or not, they are going to ride, and they are going to go lidless. Might as well ride along and hope nothing happens." But being that I know them, their families, etc, it makes me angry. To me, it's one thing to want to exercise personal freedom, it's another to be selfish.

I am like most of you that don't get on the bike without the old helmet on, but I don't think that the govenrment should have the right to tell me what I should have to wear one!

If we keep letting them take our personal freedoms away they will.

What will be next?

Will they decide that most slip and falls in the house happen in the bath tub so everyone will have to put guardrails around the tubs?

Where will it end if you let them take one freedom it is much easier for them to take more.

I believe that we have seatbelt laws for the sole purpose that the government can make money off of giving tickets out for the infractions. Its personal choice. Stop giving the government control of everything. I dont ride without a helmet, but I will stick up for the guy that desires to ride without one. I might call him an idiot while I do it though. If a helmet law comes into effect then whats next, mandatory jacket, gloves, over the ankle boots, and at least jeans?

I believe that we have seatbelt laws for the sole purpose that the government can make money off of giving tickets out for the infractions. Its personal choice. Stop giving the government control of everything. I dont ride without a helmet, but I will stick up for the guy that desires to ride without one. I might call him an idiot while I do it though. If a helmet law comes into effect then whats next, mandatory jacket, gloves, over the ankle boots, and at least jeans?

+1

Why d'ya think there aren't seat belts on school buses....the MOST precious cargo of all??? Because they know they can't ticket those kids/have them pay fines

I would love it because it would be cool to see Harley Riders having to wear a helmet all the time. Also I'd like it if they made only full-face helmet legal to make it even better seeing them have to wear helmets. :)

they would sell their bikes before wearing a helmet ;)

That being said, can anyone tell me what the hell is up with those idiots you see that ride around with their helmet hanging off the side of their bikes from the underseat helmet locks? What is the point of owning a helmet and bringing it with you if it's just going to be a decoration?

Possibly for a passenger.

can anyone tell me what the hell is up with those idiots you see that ride around with their helmet hanging off the side of their bikes from the underseat helmet locks?

Nope. Science has never found an explaination kinda like the Bermuda triangle or stonehenge.

I am against the helmet law and the seat belt law.I think we need to start taking power away from the police not giving them more.

well, I don't agree with Helmet laws, or seat belt laws. However, I won't start my car without my belt on, and don't go anywhere on my bike without a helmet, But if you want to knock yourself out. Don't expect me to ride with you though.

I have my own guidelines for wearing my helmet,

If I'm not crossing the 40 mph mark (small town riding) on roads I know like the back of my hand, I might choose to forego the helmet... I've rationalized this in my own mind similar to riding a bicycle. (I never wear a bicycle helmet, and I've pedaled over 40 mph on flat terrain)

If I'm going any distance, crossing the 40 mph mark, riding at night/adverse weather, or roads I'm unfamiliar with, I have it on...

I'm against helmet laws, seatbelt laws, smoking laws, etc...your life is in your own hands. As long as you don't endanger other people in the process, do what you want...

+1

Why d'ya think there aren't seat belts on school buses....the MOST precious cargo of all??? Because they know they can't ticket those kids/have them pay fines

actually I think that has more to do with school bus seat design...

each passenger is in their own little padded compartment, and the odds of a bus rolling over and ejecting someone in an accident is exponentially smaller than the odds of it happening in a passenger vehicle...

If it came to a vote I'd vote for one, sometimes people can't learn from others mistakes and common sense need to be legislated.

Although, it's nice to know who's trying to Darwin themselves out of the population.

I disagree with seatbelt laws, and helmet laws.

Common sense should be the driver in making legislation, and if people want to off themselves, let 'em.

That being said, I always have my seatbelt on, and (since my hole in the skull injury as a kid) I will always wear a helmet when riding.

I'd like to agree with just about everyone here when I say that law or not, I wear the seatbelt and the helmet no matter what. I'll never be able to speak for anyone other than myself, but I know I have shit I want to live for, so I'll be keeping my head in one piece, thanks...

However, I'd like to be devil's advocate here and just let you know that this argument covers a lot more than some people give it credit for. One major point is that these kinds of legislation exist to ensure that your safety is protected, but also so that the rights of others remains intact. There are a lot of naysayers that think that people not wearing helmets only affects themselves, but it doesn't. The impact is for more broad than that, and all considerations must be taken into account. When an accident results in a fatality, lots of things happen. First of all, nearly all but the must important roads are instantly shut down. This immediately and obviously affects the rights of other drivers. Also, there is a substantial increase in police work that needs to be undertaken, which costs a taxpayer more money. The the medical response is much larger, and that bill must be footed by uncle sam since the person in question is now unavailable for payment. Also, the court system will now unavoidably be burdened by resulting civil (and possible federal) suits brought on by a fatal crash.

The laws attempt to stem these things from happening to keep us all in the lifestyle to which we are accustomed. Do I know what's best for the laws? No, I don't think I do, but they are far more complicated than people give them credit for sometimes.

Just my $.02

A single fatal accident costs the gov't a big chunk of change, and last I checked, that money comes out of my pocket. F that. Every time some dickhead kills himself for being stupid, I get to pay to clean up the mess. We all do. This falls under the same umbrella as daytime running lights for insurance companys. The safer they think we are, the less we pay up front.

If some legislation exists to enforce what should already be done, and it keeps some jackass from making me pay more money, than fine my that, I suppose. Like I said, I'm not so bold as to say that I know what's best for everyone and that's that, but I work hard for my paycheck, and I'd like to keep as much of it as possible.

(I guess I wasn't done ranting, sorry :D)