Lowering springs

gaewsky1

If he said he'd do it, I'll offer my assistance as well if you'd like. I'm sure just about every shop will, but its extremely simple and a good thing to learn. I've done numerous cars myself so if you want some help, just ask.

if your going to do your suspension you might as well do it right, dont do loweing springs. they will just end up putting more stress on your struts causing them to blow. if you do it do it right and just get coilovers. just my 2 cents

if your going to do your suspension you might as well do it right, dont do loweing springs. they will just end up putting more stress on your struts causing them to blow. if you do it do it right and just get coilovers. just my 2 cents

They do make upgraded and shortened struts for this. Don't generalize and say coilovers are better. Matched springs/struts can perform excellent and are fine for 85% of people out there.

And most of the time you can do a minor spring upgrade and be fine (lower and a little stiffer). You've bought into marketing bullshit.

I also agree 100% with what BAM614 said, except for I think that percentage may by higher. Any coil over that's worth buying is $$$$ and you really only need to race your car/wring that last little bit out of it. At that point it will be hell to drive on the street. Most people (even on this board) wouldn't even be able to feel the difference between one setting to the next on an adjustable strut. Let alone know exactly where to set the compression and rebound to get the 'best' handling out of a car.

As long as have some shocks/struts to go with the lowering springs, it'll perform just as well as coilovers (depending on spring rate/shock setting/etc). Speaking of coilovers, I'm installing my Tein coilovers today when UPS man drops them off :)

i have a wrx with springs and matching struts on it. been that way for over a year. most anyone who knows me will tell you that not only is it a good match, but i paid a fraction of the cost.

How long did you have just the springs before you bought struts?

Did your struts go bad/weren’t damping well enough or did you get new ones for piece of mind?

As long as have some shocks/struts to go with the lowering springs, it'll perform just as well as coilovers (depending on spring rate/shock setting/etc). Speaking of coilovers, I'm installing my Tein coilovers today when UPS man drops them off :)

That's sweet Alex. I'd like to see it sometime when you're done. I'm at the skateshop sometimes, stop by if you see my car in sig.

How long did you have just the springs before you bought struts?

Did your struts go bad/weren’t damping well enough or did you get new ones for piece of mind?

more the latter than the former. actually, the stocks were just fine. i just figured itd be a little safer with matching teins.

to your first question, about a year.

i had some b&gs on my stock struts...i put em on @ about 30k miles, and by 45-50, the struts were blown. i upgraded to some stiffer struts made for another car in the same make, and w/ struts/springs/bigger swaybar, my little "econobox" handles QUITE well. i had coilovers on it for 3 days and took them off caus they were WAY too stiff for daily driving

more the latter than the former. actually, the stocks were just fine. i just figured itd be a little safer with matching teins.

to your first question, about a year.

Cool, was just wondering. I never knew you put struts in it. I am planning on putting just springs in the S4 so other peoples experiences are very interesting to hear.

I’d ask anyone else with an S4 but they are all stuck up, and have way more money than I do, so they all throw their money away on coil overs. Seriously, if you go on there and post “I’m thinking about buying X/Y strut/spring combo”, which might happen to cost $600-800 new; they will say “Don’t waste your money, buy X coil over with Y spring rates”, which would kill your pocket book and street ability. The sets they usually suggest are $1500+.