its time

wnaplay1647545503

I have had my eclipse for a little while now and I want to do something to it.

I am not a true mechanic. I cant give you #'s pulled out years of talking about cars or working on them. However I can pretty much figure things out with some help. For the most part alot of what is said on here goes right over my head.

I am starting out with a stock 1996 eclipse with a n/t 420a engine. It will have to stay a daily driver. I am looking for a sequance of modifications that can be done over the next couple of months. I know it will never be considered a fast car and I am okay with that. What should I do first. I am planning on changing the plugs to ngk's this week and start running full synthetic oil in it. Should I start at a cold air intake or something else. Does a cold air intake make that much difference, I just dont know. I am not going to take the cheap route and get everything off ebay to save money either. So I am open for suggestions.

If you really want to mod it, I'd do a basic tune up, and then some just to make sure its running top notch, that alone could give you better results than just a CAI. After that I would do some rims/drop so it'll look nice. Then if you want to maybe an exhaust. I really know nothing about modding NT dsms, so research is your friend. Or maybe just swap a 6bolt in it and call it a day. :) Good luck.

I have considered a set of rims and almost bought a set last week. However I got busy and the guy sold them. Dropping the car how much? And what is the best method? The 6 bolt swap is difficult. You have to move motor mounts and rewire alot of things(from what I have heard, and read). Among other things. Every once in awhile you see that car that looks good all the way around and that is what I am after. The 4g63 swap by many is considered a waist of time. I read on another board that a properly done work up of the 420 can out perform a stock turbo eclipse. I dont want a car that is liked by the ricers and hated by the domestic guys. I want to build a car that can be appreciated by everyone who can relate to a quality built vehicle.

I knew my boy Brian wouldn't leave me without some good advice. LOL So a basic 1'' drop, and a cai is your suggestion. What method is used to drop a car like this? And what kind of sound am I going for? I definately dont want to sound like some of those cars at hooters saturday.

A nitrous kit is the only thing you can really do to that car to get any real gains.

No. With an intake you will not see any gains, I would be suprised to see +1hp on the dyno. But this would be my suggestion. Intake and an exhaunst, then an NX basic wet kit. Get a cheap intake, because the only advantage you will see fromt hat intake, is somthing to drill that NX nozle into ;)

Also, yes, if the work is done right, you can out perform a stock turbo eclipse... but whars the point? I can buy one with a 4G63 and run 13's all day with a boost controller and some bolt ons. I am also told by many turboing a 420a motor is worthless because you will run into all kinds of problems and you might hit high 13's if you are luckey.

My plan isn't to make a 13 second car. I would like to take it from its stock appearance and performance to something else. I just dont know what that is. I guess dropping it a little, putting new rims and tires are probably going to be my first 2 major changes. Does a CAI help the car run better or is it better for the engine? I want a car that when someone sees it it just looks cleanly done. Down the road I am planning on shooting it a new color. I even thought about getting the alteeza taillights because I really like that look. I basically have 2 different projects:

1. outside

2. Engine.

An NA DSM isn't the best starting point to go fast. I'm not sure what to suggest here, other than nitrous as suggested already. The second gen engines have issues with crankwalk, and if your engine crankwalks I think the only solution is a new engine, but I could be wrong. I believe the 6 bolt doesn't have that problem, but again I could be wrong.

If I owned the car I would probably leave it stock and daily drive it, but that's just me. There are far easier (and possibly cheaper) vehicles out there to start with.

Altezza's don't look too horrible on a second gen DSM....

A cold air intake is more of a supporting mod - on it's own it doesn't do much, but it can help if you have other, more serious mods. A free flowing exhaust helps mostly on the top end, otherwise it just makes noise. If you find an exhaust that sounds good to you, then go for it, otherwise it's not very benificial.

Get some Eibach drop springs, stiff shocks and some tasteful wheels with good tires. That will improve the driveability more than anything mentioned so far (except nitrous)

second gen turbo motors tend to crankwalk aka the 4g63. The 420 is only as prone to it as any other motor is.

There is not a lot you can do to make it fast. You should consider how much money it will take to get it where you want and compare that to what it would cost to buy a stock turbo [whatever year you have]. It is all about opportunity cost.

best idea ive read in this thread.

tune up. seriously.

springs, wheels, wet kit.

and a good attitude.

This may be my plan of attack. I agree a good attitude is a good platform to work off of. And will get the respect that I am looking for once done. Like I said speed isnt what I am after. The car should have minor modifications to its appearance (lowered, rims, paint job, ????), and its performance (slighty) (????????). In the near future I might build a fast car. This just isn't it. This is the wifes and I only drive it the little I get to go out. I dont want anyone to say theres just another eclipse.

I have heard alot of guys both domestic and import see a nice looking car that has no chance of winning a race against its big brother (turbo) and say its a nice car. Clean lines and quality are what I am after. No fart can, no wing, no mis-aligned body kit. There has to be something to do to the engine that will help its performance. Stop thinking about it being for racing and more of a nice car to drive, and the answer will come to you. Just not me because I dont know enough about engines.

DO NOT RUN FULL SYNTHETIC OIL ON A HIGH MILEAGE MOTOR

you will discover alot of leaks, it fas less density, and will seep through every crack... just run the same oil you have been running or if you want a little better protection a synthetic blend.

i understand what your going for, and couldnt agree more with the tune up as a starter.

fuck a CAI, jsut get a nice K&N drop in filter

if you want good handling and nice stance, get a nice set of coilovers, and a good set of struts/shocks. something like TEIN are great, price but give you the adjustability and control over your suspension.

also a decent idea would be for some strut braces, sway bars, andythign you cna get to stiffin the chassis.

youll feel faster when you can stick a corner at a faster mph than someone else.

a nice set of wheels and good rubber always looks good as well.

and i always like my vehicles to be stripped of retarded badges and pinstripes, leaving it a little cleaner than it was.

if the paint needs a little help maybe a good detail, buff, polish, wax. a good scrub of the carpets.

exhaust, you really dont want a flowmaster or somethign liek that they sound ghetto on a DSM,but yeah the fart can is a gay as well. maybe go online and see what decent exhaust systems for your car there are without it being ricey.

and yes yes yes yes... SPRAY the damn thing.

great investment. its speed when you need it.

you may nto always want to go fast, but when you need it its there.

looks good sitting in the hatch as well.

tint the windows if they arent already tinted is another idea.

Thats cold, I leave you +1 feedback and I get nothing :( . LOL. The engine is out of another eclipse. I posted awhile back about getting the car pretty cheap with a blown motor. What all is involved with a tune-up on this thing? New plugs, wires? What else? So at this point I am definately going with lowering it at least an inch may be inch and a half. New plugs, wires. Checking on new wheels.Windows are tinted but I am going to be taking it off and re-doing it (student stickers & air bubbles). I will also be painting it at some point when everything else is done. There has got to be a company who makes quality alteeza lights. I seen a couple with them today and I like it. I seen a set of stock 98 wheels on ebay I thought they looked decent.

The second gen engines have issues with crankwalk, and if your engine crankwalks I think the only solution is a new engine, but I could be wrong. I believe the 6 bolt doesn't have that problem, but again I could be wrong.

His engine isn't even made by the same company.

Thats cold, I leave you +1 feedback and I get nothing :( . LOL. The engine is out of another eclipse. I posted awhile back about getting the car pretty cheap with a blown motor. What all is involved with a tune-up on this thing? New plugs, wires? What else? So at this point I am definately going with lowering it at least an inch may be inch and a half. New plugs, wires. Checking on new wheels.Windows are tinted but I am going to be taking it off and re-doing it (student stickers & air bubbles). I will also be painting it at some point when everything else is done. There has got to be a company who makes quality alteeza lights. I seen a couple with them today and I like it. I seen a set of stock 98 wheels on ebay I thought they looked decent.

if you need some help let me know im right down the street.