Catera's ...

cjackson

Ok guys, I've been thinking this over in my head for quite a while now and I've decided that I don't really want to build another truck. I've been looking all over for a newer platform that is AWD and can't really find one that I want to do that's not too expensive for just the platform. So, I've decided RWD is gonna be just fine. Anyways, I've pretty much decided on a Catera, for now. However, I can't find anything on the interweb about projects people have made out of Catera's. I know they have an L81 variant of what the Saab's have. That's about it. I'm looking for places to get info about this drive train, and possible a manual swap for the car too. If you know anything, post it or PM it please.

kplzthnx

piece

if your talking about the caddy catera they are absolute trash. worst car ever made, if they arent leaking coolant then they are leaking oil. the engines are trash and make no power at all.

finding info on projects will be hard since most that tear apart a caddy use the northstar v8 instead of the POS v6 in the catera

+2 on them being POS's. My friends dad had one and it was fucked before 50k miles. If you want RWD there are much better platforms, 240 comes to mind as well as older BMW's. e30's are pimp, lightweight, rwd v6...etc. Miata V8... old 5.0...etc MUCH better platforms for a project car than an overweight low power cadillac.

The Catera can be a good car, but it will take A LOT of work to get it there. The car is on the same chassis as the GTO, so that helps things, but you will need to be able to fabricate if you plan on using this chassis. It's basically a rebadged Opel, which is where the engine came from.

Problems with the car:

engine failures

wiring problems

front suspension/won't stay in alignment

16.5" wheels make it difficult to find tires

transmission is nothing special

upsides:

you can find them with blown engines for $1,000

good platform

it's still a caddy, so comfort and a nice interior

A good way to start fixing GM of Europe's mistakes is to go with either an aftermarket front k-member, or fab up a tubular one. Assuming you get the geometry correct, this will take care of the alignment/suspension issues and is where the motor mounts are placed. An LT1 is a cheap and solid motor that will fit with ease into that chassis. I *think* that there were some Catera's that came with a manual tranny, but they were rare. If you find one, it would make it much easier to swap in the 6 speed too.

Doing all of that will take care of the majority of the problems with the car. Using the LT1 harness will clean up a good bit of the wiring problems. It's a lot of work to get one of these cars to be worth having, but it would be damn fun when finished.