xbox issues, any ideas?

Orion

i guess this "could" be a tech help thread, but its not really about cars, so ill leave that up to the mods.

i have an xbox that i bought some time ago. i recently went out and purchased madden 2006. the game runs fine on the xbox until i go to play a football game. about 75% of the time, part way through the game, it either freezes up, or i get a black screen that says, "your disc may be dirty or damaged". i returned my first copy of the game and exchanged it for a new one, but the problem continues. odd thing is, none of my other games are affected. very rarely, ill get that same black screen while loading up ncaa 2006, but not ever during gameplay.

anyone have any ideas?

its an easy fix, just open up your xbox using torque screwdrivers and hook up a pc DVD-rom drive

I don't think it's that easy. IIRC somehow with the XBox being stock, the dvd-rom, hard drive, and mobo are ‘married’ to each other. If you want to replace one, you need to replace them all with a set from Microsoft. This cost more than a new XBox. You can mod the XBox and replace any of them as need/wanted.

This could be wrong; it’s just what someone told me. Kind of makes sense, otherwise you would just be able to clone the HD and put a bigger/different one in there.

As far as what's wrong with your unit DJ, I’m not sure. The dvd-rom would be my first guess too, but it's just a guess. I haven't had very much experience with working on any XBox’s.

Guest Evl Mdgt
i've had mine for about a year now... It recently started doing that when Ryan tried to play NFS : MW and a few other newer games. But it plays all of mine fine (because mine are older games). We just broke down and bought a new xbox

DJ - sounds like a bad drive. You could try cleaning the lense - maybe the reflectivity of the disk is less than others so it is having a hard time reading it.

Here is a link that I think might help you. It covers replacing the DVD drive. I can't open it at work to verify that it has what you need (work blocks it).

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/dvddrive.php&e=9797

This might help to (covers cleaning and troubleshooting).

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox_dvd_repair.htm

Hearing this reminds me I need to backup my Xbox hard drive in case it takes a shit and I have to replace it.

yeah i dont know what the whole married thing is about, the closest that i know of that is the HDD is locked with a key that is created by looking at a your serial and other such things on you mobo, but all that is easily worked around.

Also if anyones interested, I repair and mod xboxs. So if any one is interested. also dj, if none of the suggestions work, i could take a look at your system.