rotary in a boat

ridenred27

I would be shocked if that was 70.

They dont have the torque to spin a decent sized prop.

Incorrect. That was not a 5 screw destroyer, it was a lil jetboat. Youre trying to spin the props fast, and for that you need hp. You need torque to accelerate all the drivetrain (if its a twin screw), but you're top end will be the same as any other 600hp boat that size.

I can say that boat is way fast. At first when he pulled out of the no wake, I thought gay but when the boat is going like 50 and he hits and it twists the boat sideways. Crazy just Crazy. The HP to weight on that boat has to be great. Any chop in that boat good night. I have been in pro sponsored bass boats with 300+ hp at 80+ mph, race boats with triple 600+hp supercharged V8's, and some fast turboed jetski's. Anything nearing 100 or over on the water is way fast.

Here go and look at the website. If you click on the "Boat project" at the top it will tell you all about it.

http://www.xtremerotaries.com/

They claim it makes 800hp at 9500 RPM and goes 120 mph max speed. Wich tells the story.

Here is another vid of it next to a bigger boat with a v8.

http://www.xtremerotaries.com/main2/Quicksilver/60-102mph.wmv

Dan

Incorrect. That was not a 5 screw destroyer, it was a lil jetboat. Youre trying to spin the props fast, and for that you need hp. You need torque to accelerate all the drivetrain (if its a twin screw), but you're top end will be the same as any other 600hp boat that size.

You know more than I do.

How many 100mph boats have you built?

150 mph?

When the camera goes down to the speedo, pause the video.

You know more than I do.

How many 100mph boats have you built?

150 mph?

When the camera goes down to the speedo, pause the video.

I dont hear you proving me wrong. ;) I see a tach, but none of the smaller gauges are remotely readable. One might be the speedo, and it might be at about 70, but fuck, it could be a temp gauge in C.

Hp moves boats, torque moves generaters, which move electic motors, which move big boats.

How many 100mph boats have you built with 600lb ft cummings diesels sporting only 300hp? Zee-Roe.

Physics applies everwhere, you want to accelerate fast, you need HP and torque. If you just want to go fast, all you need is HP and patience. It's a big single rotary, it could be anywhere between 300 and 700 hp. I'll take 300hp and 60 mph without complaint.

Boats in general are unreliable/maintance intensive as hell WITHOUT adding a rotary into the mix.

I will say that in a boating application, a turbo rotary doesn't have to deal with the cooling issues that a automotive application has to deal with. The lake is the radiator, and can keep the intercooler nice and cool too.

The boat is fast as fuck, no doubt about it. It also didn't look overly stable, was pretty small, and 1/2 the boat was the motor!

Eric: there are some performance diesel applications. I have an article from a couple years ago in a boating mag (in my work truck, so I can't quote it right now), where I believe it was Baja was offering one of their bigger boats w/ twin diesels and a surface drive setup. It was faster than the exact same boat with a more conventional stern drive setup w/ BBC's making significantly more HP.