Pics of horrible body repair on my gf's camaro

mkent93

I will not state the name of the insurance company responsible for this until after they decide how to resolve the problem.

The wife's camaro was rear-ended a few weeks ago. The left quarter was replaced, along with bumper and tail light. We refused to accept the car back from the other guy's insurance company after noticing how badly the panel is lined up. Apparently the frame is slightly bent because the front fender is also now out of alignment!

Here is a shot from the rear looking at the seam of the hatch and quarter panel.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f318/mkent93/97%20Camaro%20Bad%20Repair/lt_quarter_hatch.jpg

A side shot of the gas lid protruding from the quarter panel.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f318/mkent93/97%20Camaro%20Bad%20Repair/gaslid.jpg

Looking down on the gas lid (the lid is closed!).

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f318/mkent93/97%20Camaro%20Bad%20Repair/down_on_gaslid.jpg

The front fender sticking out compared to the door.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f318/mkent93/97%20Camaro%20Bad%20Repair/camaro_ltfender.jpg

I have a feeling insurance will try to screw us on this one. Will it help that I have pre-accident pictures of the car?

I don't think the insurance company could argue about that. That's completely unacceptable. If they do, get a lawyer.

That is exactly how I feel--it's unacceptable. Monday I will find out exactly what shop did this work...it was done here in Columbus, but I'm not sure where.

I'll post a before picture. Maybe you guys can let me know if it shows enough detail to argue the front fender was not misaligned that bad before the accident.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f318/mkent93/97%20Camaro%20Bad%20Repair/goofyamy.jpg

I think the front fender is a smaller issue than the quarter panel which was actually the main panel to be repaired.

Guest Spoiler71
The way I am set up my company cuts the check in my and the body shops name. They dont get paid untill I am happy. My Jeep took 6 months untill I signed off on it. They tried to out wait me but eventually caed in and did it right.

The way I am set up my company cuts the check in my and the body shops name. They dont get paid untill I am happy. My Jeep took 6 months untill I signed off on it. They tried to out wait me but eventually caed in and did it right.

I'm willing to do the same thing. Its not our only car, plus they're supplying me with the 05 Sebring as a rental...I'll drive it until they get the Camaro right at their expense.

Yup. Statefarm did that for me. My Cougar got beat the shit out of by a hail storm weeks after I got it. Now I understand silver's a hard color to repaint, but wow was it ever horrible looking, it was beading just looked like utter crap. He got it right the second time, then he got his money.

DO NOT LET THEM PULL THAT SHIT. Call YOUR insurance company and get them in the loop in case you have to go after them. That or talk to a lawyer FOR SURE.

I would also fight for a vehicle depreciation value claim since you are going to be screwed again once you try and sell it. They should give you several thousand for that. Since the front door is not ligned up AT ALL, I would take it to another shop and have it put on a frame jig. If it's that bad in the front, it's only going to be worse for the rest of the car. 6-months down the road when you can't figure out why the tires are wearing funny and the car will never align right, you are going to be even more pissed.

How hard was it hit? Can we get some pics of the damage after the wreck? What did they quote to fix it, just curious?

How hard was it hit? Can we get some pics of the damage after the wreck? What did they quote to fix it, just curious?

I will try to get the wrecked pictures up tonight after class. The damage was $3850 and I just found out they repaired it with a used quarter panel. That would be fine since its still a GM production panel but I'm wondering if they used a damaged quarter panel!

Here are pics from the accident.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9462/p10102623zi.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3380/p10102631ka.jpg

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8843/p10102663sy.jpg

UPDATE: They called today and asked me to come pick it up tomorrow morning. The body shop, I am told, is called "3SG" ??? They claim its the biggest shop in columbus. I am going to look it over real well in when I go to pick it up. They said they realigned the fender, the gas lid and the rear hatch. I am going to remove the inner panels of the hatch and check the welds for the quarter panel to see if they actually replaced it and if the used quarter they claim to have put on was previously damaged. Also, I plan on getting the number for the shop to make sure the car WAS put on a frame jig and straigtened.

What do you guys think about a front alignment? Do you think they should have to do that if the frame was damaged?

Hell yes they have to fix the front end if the frame was bent. If the frame IS bent, you are in a completely new problem. They didn't put it on a frame jig from the start or they would have probably totalled it with a current quote for only $3800. :(

Call the insurance companies and let them know what's going on. YOU ARE NOT HAPPY and will not take the car until it's FIXED RIGHT. :doh:

The point is that THEY ARE THE BODY shop and the fact that you had to inspect it and point the stuff out to them tells me how shitty there work is. A quality shop would not even think of releasing the car to you like that. Go after those dumbasses because that is BS.

I'm guessing they thought your girl the owner of the car was going to pick it up and just drive away, not even bothering with it. I would screw them even harder just for the principal..... :nod: :mad:

Just to clear things up a little bit...the body shop released the car to Progressive Insurance. Progressive then checked it over in their shop and called me to let me know it was ready to be picked up. BOTH companies are neglecting to ensure quality work.

Here are pics from today. I told them AGAIN to fix the car right and left them a check list of things to do. The rear bumper already has stress cracks in the paint. The gas lid is still not flush with the quarter panel. The rear bumper is not properly aligned (see pic) and the quarter panel has apparently had some filler added near the spoiler and has a "flat" shape to it which does not match the hatch (see pic). Also, I found filler in the lip of the fender well.

A picture of the right side from the factory--looks good...

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2213/goodquarter3fz.jpg

A picture of the newly "repaired" side which looks very flat.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1284/flatquarter6mi.jpg

Notice the very uneven gap between the filler panel and bumper cover.

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/7508/bumper9if.jpg

And remember, this was their 2nd try. We will see how the 3rd try goes. As long as they continue trying to fix it, I will let them since they are paying for the rental.

I wish I felt more comfortable buying a lawyer right now for the nightmare this has been.

looks like that shop is going to lose their ass on that job! little bit of filler here and there is acceptable but when its flat like that picture its not. take them to the cleaners man and hopefully it drives right and sound when it is done. some time the fender comes out of alignment like that because the put it on the lift wrong. that happened to my 93 adn my friends 94 Z. good luck man!

The right side might match the angle of the fender (unlike the left side) but look at the alignment on the bottom. Look at the gap difference between the top of the taillights.... :(

How is the drivers door/fender looking?

Is it just the pic or does the PAINT NOT MATCH AT ALL. The bumper looks a lot brighter than the hatch and the tail lights don't appear to match. It may just be the light in the picture.

What does it look like in the wheel well and underneath? Any overspray or other signs of shitty work? Have you driven it? Does it track straight when you let go of the wheel? Keep CHECKING EVERYTHING over and over and look for something NEW everytime.

Did you ask about a depreciation value claim?

Guest nismopc
3SG
You sure it's not 3C Body Shop "The finest in collision repair"? If so, isnt that the jackass who "see's pink"? My sister-in-law works for Encompass and sees several insurance claims and states that 3C is the worst place to send your vehicle. They've stopped using 3c a few years back.

You sure it's not 3C Body Shop "The finest in collision repair"? If so, isnt that the jackass who "see's pink"? My sister-in-law works for Encompass and sees several insurance claims and states that 3C is the worst place to send your vehicle. They've stopped using 3c a few years back.

I was thinking of 3C also because I have heard of them--maybe I misunderstood her.

As far as the paint not matching--I suspect it may be a shade brighter because the original paint is faded/dirty. I need to spend a saturday buffing it and waxing it again since the girl doesn't wash it often enough.

There is some overspray on the tailpipe, which looks very unprofessional, but that is all I noticed, and I can wipe that off in 30 seconds. Once they get everything right, I am going to take it for a drive and see how it drives.

The shops name is 3SG a few Russian guys own the place. Its a very small shop. No where near the largest shops in columbus. As of right now, direct toyota has the largest shop in columbus.

Just to let you know the rear cover on that car is made out of polyurethane. The gap between the cover and the filler was never straight to begin with. Trust me. I know. Polyurethane is not a straigt material. It moves in the sunlight.

Dude if you have any questions just hit me up on here, I know all the people in the Bodyshop industry. Reason being...I am the top vendor for every bodyshop in central ohio and surrounding...You wanna talk insurance companies, I deal with them. Who do you think tells the body shop how to fix a car?