Need suggestions for car for g/f

Nitrousbird

My g/f just totalled her 95 Jetta. She has had that car for 7-8 years now.

Her requirements:

- 4 door

- Cloth Interior

- 2002 or newer (though I think I could talk her into an 00-01 if miles were low enough)

- Good crash rating

- Decent on gas mileage. Her Jetta wasn't anything stellar

- 10-15k in price, though I'd have to say leaning on the 10k range would be more realistic

- Fairly reliable

- Able to tow a 650lb quad w/ a small trailer.

- Not too much bigger than her Jetta

- No Civics, Cavilers, Corollas, Neons, etc.

- May be willing to do a SMALL SUV, CRV sized, but no RAV-4's, CRV's, or Elements.

Her family is an "import" family, mom drives an A6, dad has a Maxima and couple older 911's. She would be willing to do an American car, but has been a bit brain washed by the family on that regard. Speed isn't really an issue.

I suggested a Grand Prix.

Import, newer, no civics and under 10k? I don't know... that's really restrictive. I don't know anything that would be in that range.

If you include domestic I would suggest Chevy Tracker LT. It should be able to tow that with the v6 and get like 20 mpg. It's not good mpg but not too horrible. They won't be as reliable as a CR-V though.

Here's one in Delaware for 10k with 33k miles:

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=184919720

I second the Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. Great car.

Grand Prix would be a decent car for her too, but it is a pretty big. The GTP isn't awesome on gas, 25mpg is about average. The GT is about 28-30. Don't even think about a 3.1l SE. It'll tow though!

Opps, forgot to add a no to the Tracker, she said that specifically. Not that I blame her; I wouldn't want one either.

I hate the Ford Escape, so I say no to that one. :p

I'll mention the Vibe/Matrix, but probably not her thing.

Here is a list I came up with so far (just doing some price searching on Autotrader for stuff under 12k locally):

Chevy Impala

Chevy Malibu

Pontiac Grand Prix GT

Ford Taurus

Honda Accord (high miles)

Jeep Liberty (mid miles)

Mazda 626

Mazda Protege / Protege5 (may be too small)

Mercury Sable

Mitsubishi Galant

Nissan Altima

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Saab 9-3 (mid-miles, may not be most reliable)

Saturn L200

Saturn L300

Saturn Vue

Toyota Camry (high miles)

VW Jetta (mid miles)

VW Passat (high miles)

I couldn't come up with anything else that really fit the bill. Best deals I found were on the Impalas.

nissan pathfinder

infinity qx4

the pathfinder is about 1-4gs cheaper depending

get 23-28 mpg

solid motor

are not all wheel drive, but selctable between 2, 4 high, 4 low

plush interior, can get leather or cloth in pathfinder, only leather in the infinity

pretty roomy, and hav ea decent towing capacity.

all around great vehicles.

i did alot of research on these an di have to say they are one of the most outstanding mid size suvs

the have little to no problems.

may be something to think about

I'd say the Grand Prix GT. My friend is a diehard GM faithful and has owned 2 GT's, and loved them both. I've driven both for extended periods of time, and they are very fun, low maint. cars. I'd say the same about the Altima, and it'd help if her family is behind that ideology. A high-mileage passat may not be a bad idea. I dunno what happens to VW's after XXX,xxx miles, but I'm sure someone here will chime in.

Ok I'll be the first to ask how did she total the Jetta? And where are the pics? Come on Joe how long have you been here?

I'd say an accord a civic can't tow that much I don't think.

She should go out and drive a few of them to get a feel for what she likes.

Guest mithesaint

+1 for the Grand Prix. I've got a '99 GT with 113K on it and it's been great. Just make sure the tranny's good, and you're good to go forever. The 3800 is a tank, and can get over 30 mpg on the highway on long trips. They look pretty good stock too.

What about an Alero? You should be able to find a newer one for pretty cheap. My fiancee has one, and I like it. A little smaller, but more responsive than my GP. Just a thought. Definitely get one with the V6 though. The 2.4 sucks.

If she wanted a car I'd say either a Toyota Avalon or Saturn Ion. If she wanted a mid-sized SUV, I'd go with a Saturn Vue. I'm a service tech at Saturn, the Vue's are really nice cars and could pull a quad, a guy I work with has a base model and he can pull his quad. I'd stay away from the L series though, IMO they aren't nice cars to drive.

Alero = Grand Am = little too econ-carish

Crown Vic = Way too big

SUV's listed (Infiniti QX4/Pathfinder/Cherokee/Xterra) all too big for her. She said my Jimmy was too big. I think she'd take a car that's bigger than an SUV. I'd have to have her drive the Liberty and Vue just to see if those are too big for her. She most definately doesn't want a truck, even something like a 4-door S-10.

Howard: I can't recall what year your Maxima is.

I didn't really think about the Subaru's; might have to look towards those too.

I've got a ton of late model Grand Prixs and Vibes with under 30k miles on my used lot. We just took in a 2002 Special Edition GTP with 20k miles. Also have an 02 Acura TL with 50k and a 2003 and 2004 Saab 9-3. Plus the Vibe has some good interest rates and a few incentives on it right now if you want to go new. If you go new I'll do at least invoice maybe better depending on what kind of mood my manager is in and depending on how long we've had a used one I'll get you a hell of a deal on one of those. If you have time check out http://www.dantobin.com to see if you like anything. Let me know if you see anything you like and I can get you some better prices than what's listed on the website.

I also have a 2005 AWD Equinox LT with 34,500 highway miles that I'd sell for $16,000 if you'd be interested.