So tell me, for a 600, which brand for a beginner?

chrismindless

I have one friend telling me to get a yamaha r6, another telling me to get a suzuki 600, and another telling me to get a honda cbr600 ...

im sure this is beaten to death, im not here to beat it down, but this is my first bike, i figured a 600 would be a good beginners bike ... im 6'-2", 195lbs ... as far as being a more 'forgiving' bike, which ones from your experience are more 'forgiving' to use new riders?

thx guys

:lol:

Don't listen to this guy. EVERYONE knows that that Kawi 636 is the way to go for a beginner. He's just biased toward Yamaha.

Honestly, none of the new supersports are forgiving. They don't care about you and will happily do what you say, including driving you into a retaining wall.

If you want a forgiving bike for beginners, get a Ninja 500 or a SV650. If you REALLY feel like you have to have a 600SS, then look at mid 90s 600s. They aren't as twitchy, don't cost as much, and weigh a little more. They are sort of forgiving, although they'll happily toss your butt in the ditch as well.

Before you do anything, check around on insurance. I think you will be astounded by what it costs for someone your age with no riding experience. It can easily be more than the payment itself. And please don't tell me you're going to finance a bike and not put full coverage on it.

Read these threads:

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=274759

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=262785

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=273407

lemosley01,

very good articles, everything is 100% accurate! My dad taught me to ride ATVs and Dirt BIkes when I was younger, I havent been on a bike in a few years and I havent done any ATV stuff for awhile now ... but even those weren't that fast compared to a 600cc or a 1000cc ...

Im completely torn because I have some experience, but I almost want to just get a 500cc bike just to be safe ... im going to start sitting on bikes and trying stuff out, but thanks for the links.

The article about new riders and 600cc sb's was very true, I couldnt agree more.

I laughed about the part about new riders hittin a pot hole and givng the gas a quick yank ... hahaha, i did that often on the ATVs and dirtbikes ... but 125cc doesnt throw you back quite like a 600cc ... havent been thrown but Ive had the shit scared out of me before ...

I had no experience what so ever other than riding a moped. My first bike was baught last march its an 05 750 gsx-r. My thinking was I wanted a bike that wasn't stupid/crazy fast but I did want something big enough to last me a few years before I upgraded. I love my 750 and wouldn't trade it for the world!!!!!

However, my fiance thought the 750 would last him a few years as well... he's had some riding experience with 4 wheelers and similar things you mentioned as well as a tiny bit of riding bikes. Needless to say, he put about 8000 miles on the bike last season and we are buying an upgrade on his birthday in april!!!!!!!

It all comes down to personal opinion and comfort. BUT get something with a steering dampener (kawi's dont have them, susuki does come with them). I've ridden bikes that have them and bikes that don't.... BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!

Good point Jen. I'm looking at getting a sport bike this spring/summer. I've been riding dirtbikes and the like since I can remember. This will be my 1st bike and I'm wondering if a 600 will be enough for me down the short road. But I guess there is always turbo kits or nitrous out there if you still want the 600cc insurance but want more out of your 600 bike right?

my bike had some toys on it then they got taken off. eric loooooooooves spray on the 750 and we put spray on the bike about a month after we got the bike. so that should tell u how fast he out grew it. i didn't outgrow it only bc i don't get alot of time to ride it since i work 3rd shift. but like i said before, it's all preference!

lemosley01,

experience wise i wouldnt extend myself, i mostly have ATV experience with my dad and friends since i was a kid, and dirt bikes when ppl brought them out with the ATVs... my younger brother had a moped when i was 17, we rode that thing everywhere even though i could keep up on a pedal bike ;) ...

from sitting and riding my friend's 1000cc, i can EASILY tell thats too much power for me, I hardly touched the throttle and I was moving faster than expected, but nonetheless, I think the MOST i would get is a 600-650 ... the weird part about supersports is how you sit on the bike, nothing like anything i've been on, makes my wrists hurt the first few times out.

i have good throttle control over bumps and i have the 2fingers on the clutch ready at a moments notice. the part that I am weak in is turning ... thats where I HAVE to work on! Im used to just putting down feet and turning around or backing up ... the R1 i sat on wasnt as -easy- to manuever, im sure with practice it would be ... any tips?

i started driving REALLY slow cars but learned how to move fast ... makes total sense to start small and work up ... i watched a miata own a ferrari at an autoX a few years back ... skill > bullshit ....

Jenn if you work third shift then ride it first and second shift, I don't see the problem. :p

Only a little while longer until I get my R6 :D

i left it home so eric can ride!

about turning.... for me, i just let all fear and worry go and it came to me. altho the more seat time i had the better it got! good luck with choices

oops, didn't see my bro was on.

~ponypimpstress~

Hell, get an old cb350/450/550 honda street bike for cheap as hell on ebay. Insurance will be cheap, and it has already depriciated to the point you will probably get most of your money back when you sell it. Not the fastest things in the world, but plenty to get experiance and confidence built up. a 350 will see about 100 top end, and wont pick the front up if you get into it to much.

thx for the advice guys!

Im definitely not getting a 600 at first, i really want to get on something smaller to get up on skills, etc. I think that if I got an R6 or something I really want I wouldnt be able to experiment comfortably. Ive read article after article and even though the slower bikes dont look so good, i can wait til mid summer or even next year ...

from sitting and riding my friend's 1000cc, i can EASILY tell thats too much power for me, I hardly touched the throttle and I was moving faster than expected, but nonetheless, I think the MOST i would get is a 600-650 ... the weird part about supersports is how you sit on the bike, nothing like anything i've been on, makes my wrists hurt the first few times out.

You are putting weight on your wrists. You'll have to learn to hold yourself up using your abdominal muscles and back muscles. You'll get used to it, just concentrate on holding yourself up. The handlebars are a place to control the bike and have your controls located, not a weight support.

i have good throttle control over bumps and i have the 2fingers on the clutch ready at a moments notice. the part that I am weak in is turning ... thats where I HAVE to work on! Im used to just putting down feet and turning around or backing up ... the R1 i sat on wasnt as -easy- to manuever, im sure with practice it would be ... any tips?

Low speed maneuvers are hard on a sportbike. You have to practice, but you will end up dropping your first bike. That's why a used one is a good idea - so you don't feel so bad when you scratch it up.

However, I have been caught by surprise on my ZX-9 a couple of times hitting bumps and accidentally whacking the throttle. The real part that is a problem is in a corner. A 600 is generally unforgiving and you don't have good throttle control yet. While you are cornering, throttle control is king.

I'll admit I'm not a good rider even yet, I'm still learning and remember things I had forgotten (I had an F2, sold it in 99 and got my ZX-9 last year). But practice practice practice when you get chance.

Recommended reading:

Proficient Motorcycling - David Hough

Total Control - Lee Parks

Twist of the Wrist II - Keith Code

i started driving REALLY slow cars but learned how to move fast ... makes total sense to start small and work up ... i watched a miata own a ferrari at an autoX a few years back ... skill > bullshit ....

+1 - you are the first person I have seen who realized this on their own.

Whatever you get, let us know. I would recommend seriously looking now, because, when spring comes, bike prices tend to go up and people won't deal as much (since the riding season is just starting and there are lots of riders). Don't rush into anything, but there are a lot of good deals out there right now.

Between the GS500F and the Ninja 500r.....

Ninja, a little more power, less comfy, old school looks, good handling.

GS500F, newer styling, more comfy, good handling, decent power.

I have ridden both and bought the Suzuki, for me being 6 ft 200 lbs It fit me just fine and felt more stable and slower speeds. With me on it it will wind out to about 120 but it takes awhile from 100 to 120.

You are putting weight on your wrists. You'll have to learn to hold yourself up using your abdominal muscles and back muscles. You'll get used to it, just concentrate on holding yourself up. The handlebars are a place to control the bike and have your controls located, not a weight support.

Proper positioning would be using your legs to hold the rider on the bike.

Proper test of this.....

You should be able to put your bike on its kickstand

Ass cheek off the bike to the left (like leaning on a turn)

look through your turn (pretending)...

you should be able to let go of the handle bars and remain on the bike without falling off.

All in the legs, feels like a back workout because of the way the rider is positioned.

However, I have been caught by surprise on my ZX-9 a couple of times hitting bumps and accidentally whacking the throttle. The real part that is a problem is in a corner. A 600 is generally unforgiving and you don't have good throttle control yet. While you are cornering, throttle control is king.

Most likely because you were in a "comfort" riding position and wasnt really ready for such a change in roadway. In a PROPER "Im ready for the road" riding position, legs gripping the tank, this should never happen.

Agreed on 600s being more forgiving. This is generally due to the low torque amount of a smaller bike. Sudden changed in throttle on arent as serious as they are on a bigger Liter bike.

Most important thing to remember while turning is NEVER let off the gas. When in doubt, GAS IT. Its more fun to give the bike a handfull of gas while in a turn anyways :D

Recommended reading:

Proficient Motorcycling - David Hough

Total Control - Lee Parks

Twist of the Wrist II - Keith Code

A Twist of the Wrist II by K. Code is the only one Ive read before. After riding for a month when I bought my first bike without reading first.... after I read.. I determined I was doing a LOT of things wrong.

Proper positioning would be using your legs to hold the rider on the bike.

Proper test of this.....

You should be able to put your bike on its kickstand

Ass cheek off the bike to the left (like leaning on a turn)

look through your turn (pretending)...

you should be able to let go of the handle bars and remain on the bike without falling off.

All in the legs, feels like a back workout because of the way the rider is positioned.

What do you think holds you upper body upright? Your legs are the base, but the back (and abs to some extent) keep you upright. I'm talking about in a non-cornering riding posture.

I remember Drew saying something about the pads they use on snowboards to keep you from slipping that you can apply to your tank so you have something to grip. My bike lets me slip-slide all over the place. Do you happen to use them on your tank and what are they called?

Most likely because you were in a "comfort" riding position and wasnt really ready for such a change in roadway. In a PROPER "Im ready for the road" riding position, legs gripping the tank, this should never happen.

Guilty as charged. This happens to all of us at one time or another when we're just crusing down the road.

Most important thing to remember while turning is NEVER let off the gas. When in doubt, GAS IT. Its more fun to give the bike a handfull of gas while in a turn anyways :D

A Twist of the Wrist II by K. Code is the only one Ive read before. After riding for a month when I bought my first bike without reading first.... after I read.. I determined I was doing a LOT of things wrong.

Got that one two. The others are easier to handle but Twist II is definitely on the list. Keith's writing style is sort of...strange, but it's good reading.

God I hate SRs. :D

I remember Drew saying something about the pads they use on snowboards to keep you from slipping that you can apply to your tank so you have something to grip. My bike lets me slip-slide all over the place. Do you happen to use them on your tank and what are they called?

Called StompGrip pads. I waited for a year for the company to cut some for sportbikes.. as soon as they were available I bought a set. I have yet to see any other bike in columbus with a set though. They are mainly found on track bikes. Some racers go as far as sand paper on the sides, but thats insane! Talk about tearing up some pants and leather track pants geesh.

Called StompGrip pads. I waited for a year for the company to cut some for sportbikes.. as soon as they were available I bought a set. I have yet to see any other bike in columbus with a set though. They are mainly found on track bikes. Some racers go as far as sand paper on the sides, but thats insane! Talk about tearing up some pants and leather track pants geesh.

Ummm..yeah. I'm not taking sandpaper to my street bike for any purpose other than repainting it.

Thanks. Clearcoat is nice, but it is slick as shit.