'96 Eagle Talon info

Guest Ponyfreak

Guest Ponyfreak
I hve a buddy that is trying to sell me an eagle talon for cheap. The interior is nice, as is the exterior. I beleive the timing belt broke. It is the DOHC non turbo car. What is this car worth?

trade in is about 1000. at best. give him 600. those are dodge neon motors and are bad about getting any kind of power. unless your name is hahn racecraft and your neon runs 8.s. thats a fast a200 motor. i have a dsm 4g63 its a 95 and i proably could never sell it for 3000. and its a way more expensive car new. and its in great shape also.

trade in is about 1000. at best. give him 600. those are dodge neon motors and are bad about getting any kind of power. unless your name is hahn racecraft and your neon runs 8.s. thats a fast a200 motor. i have a dsm 4g63 its a 95 and i proably could never sell it for 3000. and its a way more expensive car new. and its in great shape also.

Its almost like a neon engine, minus a couple sensor locations and the cylinder head is turned around. Also if you use a eclipse ecu with a neon it will almost work minues the tach control. BTW the 2.0l can hold power you just dont know anyone that has a fast one. :)

1500 would be a good price your getting a nice car it sounds like, minus the timing belt.

A properly built 420a motor is more powerful than a 4g63.

are you fucking serious? how many 420A's are in the 10's, 9's, 8's, or sevens. not that there are many in the 7's, but i hope youre kidding. Stock for stock, 4G63 has about 1000 times the potential a 420A does.

I know you said "properly built 420A" but, a properly built 4G63 can handle a lot more.

what did it run, how much did it cost to make that fast? Answer, a lot more than what it would to make a 4G63 powered car run the same time.

The website you posted had a car that ran 11.XX@120 something. I can make my dsm that fast for a couple grand. I can promise it would cost twice that for a 420A to run a similiar time.

If you think running 11.72@122 is fast on a 420a motor. i can give you a list of 100 4g63 powered engines running the same time, which have spent far less.

what did it run, how much did it cost to make that fast? Answer, a lot more than what it would to make a 4G63 powered car run the same time.

The website you posted had a car that ran 11.XX@120 something. I can make my dsm that fast for a couple grand. I can promise it would cost twice that for a 420A to run a similiar time.

If you think running 11.72@122 is fast on a 420a motor. i can give you a list of 100 4g63 powered engines running the same time, which have spent far less.

here you go:

http://moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/20302/

he has passed the 10s and still in street trim. driving it whenever he feels. pretty reliable and wasnt that expensive.

instead of talking about making your car fast, DO IT. Then you can challenge some 420s and see if your car can beat them with those minor mods.

But hell everyone knows that there is no such thing as a fast neon. :)

here you go:

http://moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/20302/

he has passed the 10s and still in street trim. driving it whenever he feels. pretty reliable and wasnt that expensive.

instead of talking about making your car fast, DO IT. Then you can challenge some 420s and see if your car can beat them with those minor mods.

But hell everyone knows that there is no such thing as a fast neon. :)

1: i can gurantee you it cost more than 2-3 grand making that an 11 second car.

2: i'm in school right now, and i dont have the time/money/desire driving an 11 second dsm. when i said "i can spend 2-3 grand on my dsm making it an 11 second car" i was speaking on relativity. anyone can pretty much do it. my point being building a 4G63 is more cost efficient, and better.

how many people do you know swapping a 420A-t for a 4G63? yeah, thats what i thought. ZERO

3: i dont need to mod my car and race 420A's to know the superority of 4G63. Many people have already done it. I dont need to waste my time/money/effort to realize this.

now, i'm going to go drink some beer. i'll check this later but i doubt it'll even be worth reading. as rellik said 6 bolt 4g63 > 420A

Were talking about the car at hand. The 420a is a capable motor. It is an interference motor so if the timing belt is broke then you'll probably be saying hello to a new motor. Trying to swap a 4g63 motor into it is not a good option since it has been said to cost far more than just buying a 2g car already with it in. I'v heard of guys running 27p of boost with a built 420a. Of course these are with much better internals and such.

Were talking about the car at hand. The 420a is a capable motor. It is an interference motor so if the timing belt is broke then you'll probably be saying hello to a new motor.

Ok, that answers part of his questions. I guess now it's just up to what you are planing on doing with the car. If you just want a DD or something for point a to b. I'd say pass. If you really like these cars, you can get one with a good engine in it for not a ton of money. Book on them is just a little north of 3k. Meaning you could probably get a good deal for $2.xK. Not worth the headache or swaping a motor in this one unless you get it for really cheap.

If you are wanting to do some stuff with it, there are a lot of options out there.

Last time I checked that 420A wasnt an interfearance motor. That is if you have to shave of a couple .001 off the head? Correct me if im wrong.....

I think in this case for ponyfreak just looking for something cheap to get into to have a little fun with the 420A isnt a bad choice. I have been working on the 4G63 for a LONG time and they have there problems to when you start throwing much boost to it like any turbo engine. The 4G63 was a built motor for boost and has the stuff to back it up in a normal turbo eclipse/talon 2g.

Daniel Weaver

PS....Pony I C in your sig that your running 15 PSI with that 101mm turbo. U have any vids of dyno runs etc? Just wonderin....your car is dead sexy!!! ;)

Guest Ponyfreak

I can get the car REALLY cheap. Dirt cheap. I am thinking I will get it anyway since the radio is worth what I will be paying for it. If I cannot find a motor or fix the one in it I might just part it out or something...

Yes here are some vids on the bottom of this post.

http://svspower.com/images/upload/video_61_0.wmv

http://mark8.org/users/ponyfreak/web...%2013.5psi.wmv

http://mark8.org/users/ponyfreak/web...%2013.0psi.wmv

I can get the car REALLY cheap. Dirt cheap. I am thinking I will get it anyway since the radio is worth what I will be paying for it. If I cannot find a motor or fix the one in it I might just part it out or something...

That definitely might be worth it then. Just depends on whether you want that shell sitting wherever while you find buyers for the parts. It might take a while to find someone who wants most of that stuff. Like you said though, you could always sell the radio, then scrap the rest of the car and be up.

Lol, I was going to suggest going to http://www.dsmtrader.com, but warn you about scammers (even though I'm sure you would be able to spot them) because there are a lot on there. It seems as if in an ironic twist, that website has been temporarily taken down due to people getting scammed too much. I'd suggest the local, or a few of the national DSM websites, but IIRC you have to be a somewhat established member to sell stuff. This is definitely the case with the local one, where I would personally fell very comfortable buying or selling parts.

Congrats on the car. I bet it feels great to have that project mostly done. I was out to lunch with Eli and he told me you got it together and dynoed it. Great to hear about it being done. Congrats on that massive number too. I can't wait to get home and watch the video.

The 420 in a Neon is an interference engine design. Only a very few I have talked to said they didn'y have any visible damage. Then some people have said it trashed the pistons as well.

If you do get the car take the head off and check the valves, if ok then make sure you change the water pump and tensioner for the timing belt. A friend of mine replaced his timing belt only to have the water pump lock up 3 months later( while doing about 6500rpm) causing him to go salvage yard hopping to get another head.

To build a bottom end for one of these you are looking at 450 to 500 for JE pistons(compression ratings of 8.6 turbo, 9.6 stock, 10.5, 12.5 to 1 ratios)+ 350 for rods then then block machining charges, rings and gaskets. You will easily spend more money in setting up your topend. I know I recently priced everything to build a high compression engine.

Thats why I am currently rebuilding my 350 in my Chevy truck and just going to change my timing belt, water pump, and tensioner in my car.