how much can you normally bargain at a dealership?

Berto

ok so i'm looking at new cars just to look. And I found a couple of potential cars...with an opportunity to get a deal.

There are dealerships with 2005 new cars. MSRP is 33k could i ask them for 27k out the door or is that just too much to ask off?

how much can you normally bargain off of a new car say a 06?

ok so i'm looking at new cars just to look. And I found a couple of potential cars...with an opportunity to get a deal.

There are dealerships with 2005 new cars. MSRP is 33k could i ask them for 27k out the door or is that just too much to ask off?

how much can you normally bargain off of a new car say a 06?

That might be a little much. Consider these factors:

Do you have a history with that particular manufacturer?

Do you have a history with that particular dealer?

Is their stock abundant or somewhat limited - are you having a hard time finding what you want, or do they have what you want in 5 different colors, for instance?

In general, is demand high for the car?

Do they have a lot of the 05 year model?

Do they have any demo cars that meet your requirements?

Consider those questions/factors when thinking about it. That is what the dealers always think about.

I have always found it best to come up with a reasonable offer in your mind. Once you have this walk straight up to a salesman and simply say, This is the only amount I am willing to pay. All I need from you is a yes or no answer. If you say no than I will move on to another dealership. And if he says no and then starts to come back with his sales pitch I then take the tone up a bit and get defensive. I tell them that I told them what I was willing to pay, if you dont agree thats fine. The object is to see if he will meet your terms as your walking to your car. The trick is to make it all happen so fast the salesman gets flabergasted and falls off his game.

Well its a Honda S2k right now i'm going through many options since i decided to keep the RX.

whatever i get will stay stock just to drive for fun. I thought i would look for new ones so i don't get one that was abused. There is a dealership in marysville with 2 of them. History with the dealership? no but i did co-op with honda. It seems like there are quite a few dealerships with 1 left over. There is even one with an 04 new car.

It has nothing to do with that....

You need to know what INVOICE price on the car is and if they have any incentives or rebates going on the car. Go to http://www.edmunds.com and look all of that info up. Your best offer should be $500 over invoice and NOT A PENNY more. If they have rebates, then that comes off of the invoice price.

So in your case... MSRP is $35,150. Invoice = $31,733

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/honda/s2000/100652271/optionsresults.html?action=2

They have NO rebates or incentives so your best bet is around $32,233 for what your shooting for + Tax/Title/License, etc.... Many dealers will do $500 over invoice with NO questions asked. Just shopping around is the key. You may have to go to Indy, Dayton, Cincy, Cleve, etc... but a 3-hour drive could be worth $2k+ in savings.

MSRP is 33k could i ask them for 27k out the door or is that just too much to ask off?

Sure you can. The WORST they can say to you is "no".

I just figured out, percentage-wise, what my first out-the-door offer was for the GTO. It was 15.5% off asking price.

So, in your case, 27 on 33 would be 18.1%. Since it is an '05, I would try it. I would think 29-30 would be the final number.

I depends on the dealership. we just picked up a minivan (god it really hurts to say that) and was dealing with hatfeild kia they were try pushing there 05 models off the lot the 06s were there and they needed them gone. there insentive was 5k cach off the sticker. My neighbor picked one up from the and they ended up giving him close to 7 off sticker. But it all depends on the dealership. This the S2k is thier "sportscar" themy may be less willing to budge on the price.

Best thing you can do is ask to see what deals they are offering. If your seriously interseted they will be willing to work with you and hopfully are upfront with you. If not they don't deserve your business.

My post was based on a NEW vehicle only. If you are looking at USED, that is another world completly. You need to know what they paid for it and what they need out of it. If it has been sitting a while sometimes they will come off more or if it was traded in for BELOW book value they have more $$$ to work with.

Then again KBB or edmunds is your friend. You need to find out what it is worth before you bargain anything. A high demand car that they can make a large profit off of means that they are less likely to deal.

Be very careful with USED cars though because you know nothing about there past. It may be a LEMON that they got from the auction. To many different scenarios but if you are willing to play the odds, it may work out in your favor $$$$ wise.

A lot of salesman are paid their commission on a monthly basis and are sometimes more willing to negotiate the last couple days of the month.

Got-Busa was dead on, get the invoice for the car and offer $500-$800 over it. 9 times out of 10 they will take it.

I have always found it best to come up with a reasonable offer in your mind. Once you have this walk straight up to a salesman and simply say, This is the only amount I am willing to pay. All I need from you is a yes or no answer. If you say no than I will move on to another dealership. And if he says no and then starts to come back with his sales pitch I then take the tone up a bit and get defensive. I tell them that I told them what I was willing to pay, if you dont agree thats fine. The object is to see if he will meet your terms as your walking to your car. The trick is to make it all happen so fast the salesman gets flabergasted and falls off his game.

I had a customer do this to me on a Solstice two weeks ago and she ended up paying $800 over sticker when we were only asking sticker in the first place. Just so all of you know, BEING A DICK TO A CAR SALESMAN IS A GUARANTEED WAY OF NOT GETTING YOUR WAY. 99.9% of us will take your offer to the sales manager and if they can do your offer, they will. Salesmen get paid a minimum of usually right around $100. Most of us would take a mini deal over no deal any day of the week.

As far as the S2000 goes, Honda invoice is true dealership cost. According to Kelley Blue Book invoice on an S2000 that stickers for $33,700 is $30,370. Depending on the dealership, some are willing to take a lost just to get rid of the floorplan interest. On a limited production car like the S2000, it may have been on their lot since September 2004.

The other thing you may way to find out about is year end money. Some manufacturers give dealers a credit for previous model year vehicles. Right now we have several 2005 Buick Lacrosses that stickered for $30,000. With no rebates we would be able to sell one for right around $26500 and break even but because GM has given us $2750 as a credit we can sell the vehicle for $23,500. This year end money isn't listed as a rebate on any website or information available to the general public. If you know anyone that works in a Honda dealership in the sales department or have anyway of getting someone else to check, I would do so.

I would offer $1000 behind invoice (before any rebates or year end money) as your initial offer and go up from there. If they say no, go up in $100 increments from there. Negotiate price ONLY and have financing lined up before you go in to negotiate. A lot of times if you are pre-approved dealerships may be able to match or beat that rate but you should know what your bank is able to do before you go.

BTW, if you want a cheaper alternative, I have a 2001 for sale on my lot. It's Red with 29,000 miles. If you want I'll find out what we have in it and what I can sell it for.

Hope this helps

Well I can't buy now, I am waiting to close on my house in June after I graduate. more than likely i'll be getting it ( or something else, just looking at options now) in the first half of July.

my parents just got an 06 mazda 6 hatch for 18,200 when msrp was 24,300. my dad had byers, mazda direct, ricart,(columbus) bill marine(springfield) and mike castrucci automall in dayton. they were all beating out each other's prices till finally they got so low some of them dropped out. Mike castrucci could go the lowest and thats where they went.

honda marysville is a joke. if you have time sometimes go into the bike side and look at the damn markup on those things. and they dont deal worth shit. my girlfriends cousin is the service manager there, and ive been going in there since they opened. i was going to buy a waverunner their but not for what they want over msrp.

Depends if you know anyone at the dealership or not. I'm friends with the sales manager at the Newark Coughlin Chevy dealership and I get all my Chevy's at invoice and all rebates go to me.

If anyone is interested in a VERY similar deal, let me know, and I'll give you more info!

Always, Always start at invoice price, if you don't, your a fool at buying new cars. My sales guys tells me $500-800 over invoice is very doable at a lot of dealership as long as the car is not in high demand.

Bill

Depends if you know anyone at the dealership or not. I'm friends with the sales manager at the Newark Coughlin Chevy dealership and I get all my Chevy's at invoice and all rebates go to me.

If anyone is interested in a VERY similar deal, let me know, and I'll give you more info!

Always, Always start at invoice price, if you don't, your a fool at buying new cars. My sales guys tells me $500-800 over invoice is very doable at a lot of dealership as long as the car is not in high demand.

Bill

Do you know John Riley or is there another sales manager there?

Start below invoice on GM cars. Anything over $30,000 we'll usually go behind invoice.

my parents just got an 06 mazda 6 hatch for 18,200 when msrp was 24,300. my dad had byers, mazda direct, ricart,(columbus) bill marine(springfield) and mike castrucci automall in dayton. they were all beating out each other's prices till finally they got so low some of them dropped out. Mike castrucci could go the lowest and thats where they went.

Not a bad deal since invoice is close to $20k and they are offering a $2k REBATE on them so.....$18k is good! ;)

If you are looking at an S2000, your best bet would be to get a used one. The used values on those cars are really low, and since they are a convertible and are (usually) only driven in the summer, the mileage is still pretty reasonable. Also, for convertibles, the best time to buy one is in the late fall/early winter when dealers are trying to get them off their lots before winter. My buddy got a great deal on a Corvette convertible that way. If you must buy a new car, then definitely go to Edmunds to find out what the invoice is.