Twin turbo 403 Z06 - Progress Pics. Discuss.

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been working on it. But yet still some Idiots still hate. The best part even doc said it was a misunderstanding. Renner and me took care of it in PM but someone not even part of the situation opens there mouth.

I think he should race me...

Dig ?

My bike or my car your choice.

Renner and me took care of it in PM but someone not even part of the situation opens there mouth.

I think he should race me...

Dig ?

My bike or my car your choice.

Ok, when?

wow thorne, almost every one of your posts in this thread has been excellently worded and (gasp) spelled correctly. turned over a new leaf?

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/044.gifhttp://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/059.gif

I'm curious as to why you didn't go with an already established turbo kit? Such as the PTK twin-turbo setup. PTK stuff has been proven time and again, and I've heard nothing but praise for them in the Mustang and F-body camps (fastest LT1, an 8 flat in the 170's on a 398ci motor, runs a PTK kit for instance). Sure would have saved a TON of development time. My only guess was cost, but I assumed having IPS fab the kit up probably isn't cheap either.

I'm not bashing IPS, John, or anyone else; rather just curious on the decision.

Sure would have saved a TON of development time. My only guess was cost, but I assumed having IPS fab the kit up probably isn't cheap either.

With proper minds on the job, custom development will always yeild better results then out-of-the-box kits. Plus, I must say I prefer the layout of the IPS job, that PTK kit is just a shiny mess that screams "LOOK AT ME!!". You'll find the "LOOK AT ME" crowd isn't very descerning, praise from them is not to be held in high reguard. ;)

I like how the site say "List Price" and "Our price".....Its their system, they set both prices. Silly way to make you think you're getting a deal.

I'm curious as to why you didn't go with an already established turbo kit? Such as the PTK twin-turbo setup. PTK stuff has been proven time and again, and I've heard nothing but praise for them in the Mustang and F-body camps (fastest LT1, an 8 flat in the 170's on a 398ci motor, runs a PTK kit for instance). Sure would have saved a TON of development time. My only guess was cost, but I assumed having IPS fab the kit up probably isn't cheap either.

I'm not bashing IPS, John, or anyone else; rather just curious on the decision.

Great question. Several of the kits were considered, but most of them were passed on due to (1) a lack of reliable data supporting their use or (2) the limits they would impose on performance (e.g., HP). I gave serious consideration to LPE - which, we'd all agree, wouldn't be ruled out by either (1) or (2) above, but opted to not go that route for several reasons, including (a) my desire to keep my money in the local economy and (b) my trust in IPS to provide a product that would essentially rival anything I could purchase from LPE. What IPS has done is research all of the kits that are out there and designed a set-up for me that optimizes efficiency, safety, power, aesthetics, and streetability. Essentially, the best components of all the established kits were taken and rolled into one. I'm confident that it'll produce and that, after it's completed and the vids start rolling across cyberspace, that IPS will have the Vette guys beating down the doors to the shop wanting the exact same set-up.

We first looked at every kit currently available. If you cant improve upon one there is no sense in developing your own imo. A kit like the PTK for example, places the turbos right on top of the engine and even though it has more of a "Bling" factor, it also heat-soaks the entire engine bay. There have also been numerous thread on paint issues on the hoods, melting costly electronics, yada yada. The HP kit places the turbos in the fenders which makes going larger a bit easier, but a lot of the plumbing is complicated and far less than ideal. The LPE / TTi set-up of keeping the turbos down low (a la stock 300ZX TT) was the best for ease of exhaust routing, heat issues, and "stock-ish" engine bay appearance. Only real downside is niether use turbos even remotely close to the size of a 35R and we werent willing to do this project using anything less. Its taken a bit of engineering and a bit of fabrication but its all coming along just fine. It will also be tuned by a set-up no one has even tried on a C5 (at least that we are aware of) yet so should be a pretty unique set-up when its all said and done.

Just because 5000 people havent done it on the "Forums" doesnt mean there isnt a better way to do it or things cant be improved upon :)

Jeff

I've been trying to figure this out for two weeks...

Fixed. :p

(sorry, flashback. :) )

Just because 5000 people havent done it on the "Forums" doesnt mean there isnt a better way to do it, or things cant be improved upon
true Poetry

Out of the box kits are always a compramise. They often include sloppy tolerances in many areas simply because they'll be going on a whole host cars with varing states of tune. When yu prefab a pipe, you're limited in diameter and form because you have to allow X tolerance side to side in case the engine compartment is slightly different. When you desgin it for a car that's sitting right next you you, you can "thread the needle" on anything you like, from physical fitment to tuning. Kits are for people who just want some measure of forced air. If you have specific requirements, custom is the only way.