EVO or STI which to buy?

ghost1647545489

the evo will be easier (subjective term) to get to a high hp number, but mitsu quality is pitiful, and dont expect to be able to get anything warranty repaired, ever.

subaru, on the other hand, has awesome build quality, the cars hold their value like crazy, and the mod path is still fairly easy and inexpensive.

i added over a third more horsepower to my wrx, and it didnt complain at all for the year that i had it with my mods on. still as drivable as ever.

im biased, but id go sti, homie.

I think an Evo would be great fun, especially if you want to compete in it. I test drove an Evo before I bought my STi and here are my impressions. The Evo feels like a race car. It has a narrow power band and twitchy steering (I sneezed and nearly lost it!) and seems to go effortlessly wherever you point it. However driving one is a full time concentrated effort. I would not have one for a daily driver. Maybe as a second car for fun if only I could afford it. I bought the STi because the interior finish is much better although the Evo seats are more comfortable for me. (I wish they put the JDM seats in USDM STis. I guess as a nation we are becoming too fat.) I use cruise control a lot. The CD player in the STi is not Alpine but not bad either. The steering on the STi allows you to do other things while driving without danger of crashing. I got used to the 6-speed gearbox quickly and the car gets about 25mpg in 6th at 3k rpm = 73mph.

This was a great review of the too cars on a subaru board. This guy is in his 50s BTW. I agree 100% I have driven both.

I like the STi's torque and it's powerband seems smoother than the Evo. For pure power like Orion said you can't beat the 4G63 in the Evo. I prefer the Evo's steering ratio and the handling seems to be a little sharper, but this is all just my opinion. As for warranty, Mitsu's reputation is not good, but I've not heard of any complaints recently and I know a guy who had to have a bottom end replaced and it was done so under warranty.

Personally I prefer the Evo.

and the likely hood of Subaru goin out of business is MUCH less likely than Mitsu... dont kid yourself about warranty work though, you will hardley ever get that work done without YANKING yoru hair out first.. and possibly trying to killl the dealership.

I thought the sti was a bit faster than the evo. i could swear i have a cut out magazine article at home comparing the 2 side by side and it showing the sti running 13.5 stock and the evo at 13.9. maybe its a couple years old. hmmmm

Some how the Evo turned up No. 2 on the most stolen car list.I didn't think they brought enough in the U.S to get that.The Escalade beat it out.My point is how's insurance rates.That could be a factor if money is in the equation.

we have an suby, and like it. that being said....

From what ive read the evo will take more hp on the stock block(50-75more ponies). also i have heard that the wrx/sti boxter engine takes modifications less smoothly than the evos will. also as far as handleing and braking the evo stock setuup takes the cake on the track.

BUUUUTTT for us the most important issue was reliability, bcause we are driving it every day as a fun and a DD. The engine we have never had a problem with but a year and a half ago with 20k on the clock, we did have to replace the brass in the tranny...

i depends on what you are trying to do with the car. how much HP are you trying to get, and what mods do you have in mind

Go to the Mitsu - Subaru day next weekend in Norwalk and use this to base your decision. From what I've seen you'll get a little more love out of the Evo with aftermarket mods. The Evo IX's have gone high 12's out of the box IIRC. If your into drag racing just go to the Buschur event and see which manufacturer has more cars in the sub 11 sec range.

I'd pick the STI, as well. All reviews I've read comparing the two say that the Evo is less comfortable. I like the looks of the Subaru better, too. It'll still perform really well, but you'll be able to drive it longer without getting tired of it. And if you really don't like the big wing, wait for the Limited Edition, like SpaceGhost posted.

Get the STi if you want a fun every day driver with big potential. Get the Evo if you want a race car.

I still don't like Mitsu's future as a company, but Subaru is going strong.

fyi- the Evo has the second highest theft rate in America.

I've driven my Evo everyday for over 3 years now and almost 50K miles. I've never thought of it as uncomfortable, in fact the seats are the best I have ever sat in.

I don't think you can go wrong with either but I would judge for myself, not off some message forum or some car review.

I've driven my Evo everyday for over 3 years now and almost 50K miles. I've never thought of it as uncomfortable, in fact the seats are the best I have ever sat in.

I don't think you can go wrong with either but I would judge for myself, not off some message forum or some car review.

I actually think that the STi's suspension is rougher but the seats are softer so you dont feel it as much. Overall the ride is very loud, much louder than my evo. The seats in the evo are the most comfortable i've ever sat in. After riding in the seats of the Sti for more than an hour, my back always kills me, not to mention leg room in the Sti is horrible. ( the evo's cabin is much bigger) Insurance for us is a little lower on the evo (surprisingly). But however i agree with rally red and i think you should try them out for yourself.

As far as reliability, my car had 55k on it without any problems that werent fixed by warranty. I had a powersteering pump let go and my cd player broke. The reason why it blew up was because of human error. It wasnt the car's fault.