How long my familys been here...

desperado

I was screwing around on Google and found these

http://www.netpluscom.com/~kkaufman/MariahStory/mariah_story.htm

http://www.netpluscom.com/~pchs/mariah.htm

This was my great aunt, her Father was my mothers great great great grandfather give or take a generation, John Jacob Storts. His son Daniel fought in the Civil War, which was my grandfathers grandfather. It's sort of wierd looking that far back, and oddly enough, the Harris family, which was grandmas people, or her father anyway, was a full blood Indian, and great grandma was half, but I can't remember what nation off the top of my head.

I can't find anything on the Foor's back that far, I don't know when they came over from Germany, but it was after the Civil War as far as I can tell.

Just thought this was neat.

My grandfather has a book of genealogy that he's been working on for years, I should probably take a look at it sometime. I didn't have much luck, other than finding out that someone with my last name is a professor at the university of texas. I've been told that my family on my paternal grandmother's side has been traced back to the revolutionary war, but who knows.

Genealogy is the shit, seriously. I have alot of mine back to even before we came to the United States. And I recently found out this:

John Browning was born April 16, 1749 in Culpepper County, Virginia and married Elizabeth Strother of in 1774. She was the daughter of Captain John D. Strother, a prominent Virginian with large land holdings and very influential in the Colony's politics. John Browning served as an ensign in the Continental Army from Valley Forge to Yorktown, where he had the U.S. flag shot from his hands. He promptly picked it up and carried it on. He was a member of Washington's bodyguard and attained the rank of Lieut. Col. He returned home after eight grueling years of service in the Revolution in broken health, and died September 25, 1818 at the age of 67.

I have tons of stories like these somewhere here at the house.

Francis BROWNING Capt.(998) (364) was born on 24 Nov 1753 in Culpepper Co, VA. He died on 18 Jul 1855 in Elk Garden, Russell Co., VA. Francis Browing and family removed to Virginia and settled in the beautiful section known as Elk Garden, Russell Co. They are buried in a family plot near their home.

At the first court held in Russell Co., on 2 May 1786, Francis Browing was made Coroner. He was three times sheriff of the county, also a member of the State Legislature from 1798 -1799, and served as Captain of Militia of Washington County, VA, hence his rank as Captain Browning.

See Laningham for source and documentation. Captain Francis Browning was a revolutionary militiaman. He served in the Virginia Assembly 1798-99, was High Sheriff of Russell County, VA, but is best known for his part in founding Methodism in the area. He lived to be 101 years old.

Just spending the last day in Fla. with my parents and got a copy of the geneology my moms been working on for years.

I just saw a copy of my great great grandfather's Civil War enlistment papers, as well as an arrest report, including the forged document, when he wrote himself a weekend pass. CLASSIC!

BTW. His spelling was about as good as some of the tools on this forum.

"Joseph Grothaus" came here from deutschland back in the 1860's. The first boy of every generation gets his first name as his middle name. My boy is Nicklaus Joseph.

Its good to have a line to your past. Your history is the foundation of your future.

I knew there was something I didn't like about you... you're Dutch! Nobody likes the Dutch!

J/K... and I know that Deutschland is Germany.