VWs, anyone know about Things?

Science Abuse

This Thing, VW type 181:

http://www.indra.com/homepages/spike/thing/off-road/dc0014l.jpg

There's one or two for sale in the area, and muh lady is hip to them.

What I know:

1900lb

VW air cooled engine out back

Standard gearbox

Do they have a heater? Wouldn't be an issue if we didn't have a kid, but we do. Anyone here ever owned one?

There is a heater, but it sucks. Consider it a non-winter car and you will be fine. THose air cooled VW motors are about indistructible, asn long as there is oil in them.

As far as safety in a crash, don't know. but the reliability is top notch for sure.

Heat is a shroud that surrounds the exhaust and uses a fan to foce air into the cabin through the shroud. Carbon monixide poisoning is a problem, all it takes is one crack in the pipe, or some rust. Plan on replacing it if you want to be sure.

If you get in an acident, plan on them needing a can opener to get you out. Safety equipment is at a minimum.

Think kraut knockoff of a surplus WWII jeep.

They have a heater but you need to put a booster in if you want actual warmth in the winter. JC Whitney sells them. They are really cool cars, they came out of the war as Kublewagens and the design stuck around for a while. Very simple engines to work on, but you have to pull the engine to work on it. The nice thing is they are easy to pull. Check out Rocky Mountain Motorworks or Mid America for parts, pretty cheap to fix.

Check under the car for rust, and the tops of the shock towers in front. If you can open/close the doors and they don't fall down as they open the body is probably in good shape. How much they want for it?

How much they want for it?

I beleive I saw $7400 in the window. It looked like a very clean specimine. It's out for all to see on the south side of Glick Road, between the river and Miurfeild drive.

No the one pictured isn't the one I'm referring to....it just looked badass, so I posted it. ;)

VW's of all models have skyrocketed in price. If you want great heat you swap in the heater boxes and muffler from a 75-79 Super Beetle, they had improved heating that will honestly run you out of the car. The biggest thing with the price of Things is they only made them a couple years so they are relatively scarce compared to other VW's.