Who knows a lot about fox bodies?

Bam

I'm trying to determine why the handling sux ass on our car. I need to figure out if it has a 3-link or 4-link rear suspension setup? It is currently a 4lug w/ rear drums. We are ready to order the FR 5lug/big brake setup, but have yet to decide on a new suspension. It is a solid axle in the back, and as of now we have no plans to switch to IRS. The car is downright scary above 80 mph and just doesn't feel right above 40mph. We also need to replace the motor/trans mounts because if your hard in the gas/high rpm's and let off or shift slow, the car swerves violently and if your not careful would switch lanes by itself.

I think its a combination of bad alignment, possibly bad shocks, maybe too large of rear sway and just age.

We want to get this ready for Mid-Ohio and autocrossing next spring. We're not looking to spend more than $1500 on the complete suspension setup, whatever it may be.

If anyone cares to give the car a once over and maybe go for a ride to understand what I'm talking about, you're more than welcome to give me a call and we can try and get together.

Thanks

Matt

BTW, we're also looking for some 17x9 wheels, 5lug w/ 4.5" backspacing, any comments?

4 link...

so many parts . so little time. you have a lot of options on the table ...

maximummotorsports.com

you can convert it too 5 lug cheap with ranger rotors and two long side 8.8 ranger axles and the drums.

Mustangs are good for straight lines, and thats about it

Besides, everyone on here will tell you that road racing is gay

Even so, this car can still feel comfortable above 80mph, and much higher, Shit I'm afraid to take the car to the track because I don't think I have the balls to take it out of 3rd, and that will hurt what I can run/trap.

How are your bushings? End links? Balljoints? Are you sure the axle is mounted straight? I would check for build errors and mechanical problems before trying to throw upgrades at it.

Also, it helps to clarify exactly what kind of car you are needed info for rather than listing something else.

And on that note, I'm kicking this to the tech help forum.

We bought it off an old guy near cleveland,who built it back in 2001. Maybe I'll take it in and have you/derek inspect it and give me an idea if anythings wrong. Either way, we're still planning on upgrading/overhauling the entire thing. We mainly bought it to build upon, since it was a cheap starting point and even if we dump $10g's into it, we'll still have less than they sell for.

Autocrossing it would be fun. you should drop it down 2 inches with some springs, add a full exhaust if you don't have it new intake If its a 5.0 and dont put 17's on it for autocrossing grab a setopf cheap rims and some autocross tires from tirerack even maybe a rain set. a 5.0 fox could be used to autocross quite well there was a oragne that used to run and did a great job.

Autocrossing it would be fun. you should drop it down 2 inches with some springs, add a full exhaust if you don't have it new intake If its a 5.0 and dont put 17's on it for autocrossing grab a setopf cheap rims and some autocross tires from tirerack even maybe a rain set. a 5.0 fox could be used to autocross quite well there was a oragne that used to run and did a great job.

It's already tucking the tires, can't be lowered any more. The only reason to go to 17x8's was for the BBK. It's got headers and side exit's now, can't fit anything else there. And its not a foxbody bill, its a cobra w/ a 5.0l in it.

no , it uses all the foxbody parts ... sort of a kit car if you will..

is it a factory five? who built the chassis? sometimes they arent straight!

i love the cobra cars... the only one i would build is the one with the big round tube chassis just like carrol made!

Mustangs are good for straight lines, and thats about it

Besides, everyone on here will tell you that road racing is gay

:bs: :bs:

many fox cars have been road raced and still kicking ass..

as far as road racing being gay,,, well i wouldnt go that far..its just not my cup of tea!! :D

• 5 weeks later...