Anyone know about clothes dryer repairs?

Berto

So my clothes dryer took a shit the other day and i would like to repair it.

I just want to see if anyone on here has any tips or knows what the problem is before I even get dirty.

I have basic GE model. Start dial and a time dial.

I set the time dial and when I turn the start dial I hear a buzz but it doesn't start. Also, the buzz stays until I let go of the start dial.

help! TIA

The motor maybe? The buzzing your hearing in the motor burning up. Don't know. Dryers are pretty cheap though, you can pick one up used for about $100. Good luck.

Eric

Or you can pick up my used one for $50.

Buzzing? Is your door switch dead? See if it buzzes witth the door open. If it has an interior light, see if it is going off when you push the door switch ( should be able to push it with you finger or a non-metalic rod)

Actually, is it like the end of cycle buzz going off, or an electric motor trying to start type buzz.

Where? Mine stop heating.

Mine stopped heating about two weeks ago. I looked around on craigslist and ebay. They can be had for around $100. I decided to try and fix mine. I replaced the element and that was not the problem so I replaced the fuse and that fixed it. If you have a tester you can test the wires to determine which is getting juice or not so you don't have to purchase both. I spent $90 fixing mine. Good luck!

Eric

Or you can pick up my used one for $50.

Buzzing? Is your door switch dead? See if it buzzes witth the door open. If it has an interior light, see if it is going off when you push the door switch ( should be able to push it with you finger or a non-metalic rod)

Actually, is it like the end of cycle buzz going off, or an electric motor trying to start type buzz.

its like an electric motor trying to start buzz.

its like an electric motor trying to start buzz.

Can you open it and spin it by hand with relative ease? you may have worn through the gaskets the drum rides on, or there may be something small jammed in one like a coin or other pocket fodder. Dryers are typically really easy to take apart, just pop the top up and hinge it open (assuming its held in place by snap clips in front) and then unscrew and pull off the front panel including the door. Once you do that the drum will be loose and you will probably see what the problem is (if its mechanical).

Go down along parsons ave. No lie when I was a kid my day and I would drive around the alleys picking up used equipment. His buddy owned a repair shop down there. They really are a vast wealth of knowledge and parts. And of course cheap equipment. Once you get past the bad neighborhood you can get a great deal.