Any realtors I have a question

wnaplay1647545503

I have a decently sized back yard and a portion is taken up with a rather large play ground area. I am debating taking the playground area out and making a 1/2 court basketball area. My question is would this make my property value go up or down? The area is already seperated and is its own thing. I know with any change like this some buyers might be thrilled while others are turned off.

Thanks in advance.

it it kind of like a swimming pool. you will have to sell to the right buyer. if a 75 year old couple wants to buy your house, they won't need a basketball court.

tom

You simply limit your buyer if you sell. I agree.

I'm not a realtor. I have completed the classes this year and I am a broker for a mortgage company. Working with property over the past 7 years, here's my experiance. Your appraised value will go up. Not much though; depending on how big the court is and the detail you put into it. Anyway you look at it, an appraisor can't give you more the $5000 value for it, and that would be generious.

Could I be anymore tired when I wrote this? Sorry for all the edits on mis spelling.

Something you need to check on is what teh tax man says. I heard that Concrete will raise your taxes, be it a driveway, a pad with a hoop for basketball or whatever, asphault doesn't, or at least not as much. IThe person telling me this said that Concrete is considered a foundation, even if it's a driveway. Where asphault is a paving material, they also said that bricks, even paver bricks for a walkway are subject to higher taxes, because they are also a building material.

This may all be bullshit, I can't 100% vouch for this,, but it should be checked on so that you don't end up with a bigger tax bill over shooting hoops.

You simply limit your buyer if you sell. I agree.

I'm not a realtor. I have completed the classes this year and I am a broker for a mortgage company. Working with property over the past 7 years, here's my experiance. Your appraised value will go up. Not much though; depending on how big the court is and the detail you put into it. Anyway you look at it, an appraisor can't give you more the $5000 valur you for it, and that would be a generious.

Agreed. I am an appraiser of over 10 years experience. I wouldn't give you much of anything for it, $1,000 maybe $2,000. There's simply no appeal as it's nothing more than a glorified patio with seasonal use. Honestly, the playground sounds as if it would contribute more than the basketball court. More buyers have children than NBA fantasies. ;)

If you plan to keep the home, go for it, if it makes you happy. :) If you plan to sell within the next few years I'd reccommend against it.

Agreed. I am an appraiser of over 10 years experience. I wouldn't give you much of anything for it, $1,000 maybe $2,000. There's simply no appeal as it's nothing more than a glorified patio with seasonal use. Honestly, the playground sounds as if it would contribute more than the basketball court. More buyers have children than NBA fantasies. ;)

If you plan to keep the home, go for it, if it makes you happy. :) If you plan to sell within the next few years I'd reccommend against it.

not to but in ...but i we need a appraiser for a place we are getting in cardington,oh ...not sure the going price is to have it done ..

Well the yard is big enough that it doesnt leave it without additional greenspace. So I am still debating the idea.

Hey, it's personal preference. :) As an appraiser I make decisions with my own properties that go against the market but make me happy. Although, when it comes to BIG ticket items I tend to stay with what I know will reap the most benefit.

Can you do most of the work yourself? Concrete/blacktop can get really pricey(when contracted out) and I'd hate to see you plop down a huge amount of cash in hopes of a good return on your investment. :)

As I said before if you plan to be there for a while, go for it and get your use out of it if it makes you happy. If you know you're only going to be in this home for a few more years (5 or less) it's most likely a poor investment.