Best year 351w for a turbo setup?

93fox

Hey guys, im plannin on doing a 351w swap in my 91 mustang with a turbo. Just wanted to know what year block and setup should i be looking for?Roller or non roller? Anything you can help me out with. Im wanting to be around the 600ish hp range. Any suggestions? Thanks

-Alex

deff get a motor out of a 93? and up lightning and umless you want it to nickle and dime you to death dont do a windsor (like me) it is worth it but man its not cheap

and they are very streetable

So, should i do a 302 single turbo setup, or a 351w single turbo setup? I would think that the 302 wouldnt be able to handle upwards of 600hp, unless it was a mexican block. A 351w on the other hand should be albe to hold that and more, i would think...?

Guest Removed

BB TT setup....

anything is a pain in the ass when your changing alot of stuff...lol

351 blocks break and crack too...

if i remember right, the stronger ones where the 69 and 70 blocks because the had more metal around the bores.. but always sonic check one, too see how thick it is in that area.

4 bolt main caps, main girdles and valley gridles can be had for either one. but the late model 302 blocks and mexican blocks are still not the strongest (about 600-700 hp is the breaking point) and the 351s are just a bit stronger..aftermarket block is what you need if you plan on making anymore then 700hp... hell a good BB block is only good for 800 or so... but either way you look at it theres guys out there running 1700 hp in a stock block(BB) but they know they are running on borrowed time..how long it will last , all depends on the block prep.

sitt down and budget out your build, and then see how far you think you can pull it ..

but i always plan ahead(and adding extra in my figures, for what if).

? is how fast can you afford too go? lol

true statement and i love my windsor but just depends on what you want to do like rob said sit down and make a budget nothign is as frusterating as changing things mid way just STICK TO YOUR PLAN and its cheaper all around

they say a 351 is good to 700hp and if you want or need more than that on a street car then youll never be happy anyway so you might as well go for a dart block youll be very happy with a 351 if you want to see whats involved with it let me know and you can come look at mine

If your car is 302 now I would start with that since converting it to the 351 later takes 2 sleeves to the cross over pipe added later. For 2500 you can turbo and tune the car and then spend money on getting that power to hook. What real life amount are you to spend on it? As it stands a 302 with a single can make enough power to grenade a t-5 (tremic/t56) and other driveline parts, then you need suspention upgrades and you are also talking a cage if you want to run much at trails just keep that in the budget. This is the way I will be going once I get my other bills paid.

I'm only shooting for 500ish on spray out of the 302. No clue what it puts down now, but once I get it cleaned up good and change out a few things, I'm hoping she puts down 300+ at the wheels NA, I get very confusing answers out of people so I have no clue, the only way to tell will to be get it dynoed. A 351w would be nice, but I don't think its worth it. Spend the money you'd spend on buying a 351w and swapping it in the car to build your 302, or at least freshen it up.

Keith that is mostly true except for 3 things 1. If/when I blow up the explorer motor I will call the jy and get anouther and keep beating on it 2. From what I have seen it is alot easy to dd a turbo set up than a hot motor and 3. I never have been a fan of spray. Now this is why I picked the way I did weather this is a good setup for 87formula I don't know for me a fast car that I can drive every day and out run most things running around and have a ton of fun in and not drain the bank on was what I wanted. Oh and my car has a longer wheelbase and is 2500pds so 500rwhp will doo me nicely :)

1974 351W had the highest content of Nickel. It had something to do with a shortage or something that year when manufacturing the blocks so they had to add a higher content of nickel. They are hard to find since this is common knowledge in articles and published books. I myself would use a non-roller just because of the selection of cams for larger cube engines. Flat tappet engines was the norm for 70 years and if you want less friction use Roller Rockers they are more important than a roller lifters anyway.

Guest Removed

theres a guy running a 70 some 351 block bored and punched, turboed, making around 1100hp...stock block(70 block )aftermarket roller lifters, etc..screw in freeze plugs and a ton of block prep!...

theres alot of different combos out there, and alot of different input..what works for one guy, my not work for the other. research ....research...ask others about theres and outcome...and then research some more...

302= http://460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=6597

BB TT setup....

anything is a pain in the ass when your changing alot of stuff...lol

351 blocks break and crack too...

if i remember right, the stronger ones where the 69 and 70 blocks because the had more metal around the bores.. but always sonic check one, too see how thick it is in that area.

4 bolt main caps, main girdles and valley gridles can be had for either one. but the late model 302 blocks and mexican blocks are still not the strongest (about 600-700 hp is the breaking point) and the 351s are just a bit stronger..aftermarket block is what you need if you plan on making anymore then 700hp... hell a good BB block is only good for 800 or so... but either way you look at it theres guys out there running 1700 hp in a stock block(BB) but they know they are running on borrowed time..how long it will last , all depends on the block prep.

sitt down and budget out your build, and then see how far you think you can pull it ..

but i always plan ahead(and adding extra in my figures, for what if).

? is how fast can you afford too go? lol

I dont think i have the money to go with an aftermarket block AND do a turbo...I dont plan on having much more than 600ish hp, i know thats the breakin points for the 302's and gettin close with the 351w

true statement and i love my windsor but just depends on what you want to do like rob said sit down and make a budget nothign is as frusterating as changing things mid way just STICK TO YOUR PLAN and its cheaper all around

they say a 351 is good to 700hp and if you want or need more than that on a street car then youll never be happy anyway so you might as well go for a dart block youll be very happy with a 351 if you want to see whats involved with it let me know and you can come look at mine

Even if i dont get a dart block, ill be sure to check yours out sometime before i start my build

Why bother with the turbo if you would be happy with 600HP. A mild Windsor with a small shot could get you there. :)

Adding a turbo sounds more appealing to me. I was debating either between a supercharger or a turbo, and i decided a turbo was the way to go

If your car is 302 now I would start with that since converting it to the 351 later takes 2 sleeves to the cross over pipe added later. For 2500 you can turbo and tune the car and then spend money on getting that power to hook. What real life amount are you to spend on it? As it stands a 302 with a single can make enough power to grenade a t-5 (tremic/t56) and other driveline parts, then you need suspention upgrades and you are also talking a cage if you want to run much at trails just keep that in the budget. This is the way I will be going once I get my other bills paid.

Right now, i have about $2200 to spend, about $500-$600 more if i can sell my other 2 fish tanks. I know thats not ALOT of money, but ive seen some pretty sweet budget turbo projects done for around this amount of money

Right now, i have about $2200 to spend, about $500-$600 more if i can sell my other 2 fish tanks. I know thats not ALOT of money, but ive seen some pretty sweet budget turbo projects done for around this amount of money

With the money you have I would try to invest it wisely, not that there is anything wise about spending money on go fast parts but thats besides the point.

I dont know your current combo but I would contact someone like Ed Curtis at http://www.flowtechinduction.com and have him set-up a nice top end package for you. You will always be able to re-use the parts for future needs and I think it will be money wisely spent.

I think you will find out that doing the turbo build you will go threw that money pretty fast. By doing the top-end package you could atleast have something to toy with, without much time and work spent. Build it right and easily have a fun mid 11 second street toy.