Alienware

zeitgeist57

My wife needs a decently high powered replacement laptop (notebook?) computer to replace her old Vaio that took a shit after 4 heavy-duty years (travel, law school, etc)

She wants to use her LocationFree to watch TiVo recordings anywhere. She would also like a TV tuner and DVD movie player if possible. I don't really care for much aside from good internet capability so I can log into my work through a remote token when I want and basic business programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). I don't do any gaming so that is not important.

We are looking to spend $2500 or less. Someone recommended Alienware. Any opinions?

The other option we will probably go with is the Toshiba Qosmio line, but they run about $2800. Please help!

Alienware is garbage.. I promise you

There's really nothing special about Alienware items other than the fact that you're just paying out the ass for a name. You can easily mock up an alienware laptop or desktop for much less. Vaio's are really nice and the Toshiba's seem really nice too but I know a couple people that have had problems with Toshiba's overheating with multi-threading enabled but other than that they are slick machines. When I picked up a laptop a year or two ago I went and looked for a good deal on a Dell and believe it or not I'm really, REALLY impressed with the XPS.

My family/me has 3 dells, they are really good. My hard drive just took a dump after 6 years, hard years also. Got a new HD and a fresh copy of xp and i'm using it to type this now.

I also just got a new dell for work its really nice as well.

I used oto bash Alienware all of the time mainly because I'm a do-it-yourselfer. My buddy just got one a couple months ago and ot my surprise it wasn't that much more expensive, plus his came with a no questions asked type warranty. It's built very well, also.

I absolutely love my HP (Compaqs are the same thing these days)

I've yet to see a Dell laptop that weighs less than my desktop computer

Alienware's are made for gaming, not really the direction you are going in.

I would also look into Acer's, Toshiba, maybe the Panasonic Toughbook (I think thats pricey though, not sure). Sony's are as good as the next thing, but you will be paying more for the name. I'm sure there are other good brands out there that just aren't popping into my head right now, but I would definately suggest looking into an HP/Compaq first, and go from there.

Apple with a usb TV tuner. I really like the apples I think there great machines. I've had my powerbook for 3 years and love it to death cept i want to upgrade from it.

I would avoid alienware at all costs if you want there boxes and dont wanna get butt raped look up prostar its the same oem boxes that alienware uses and they still blow. to heavy to hot and crap for battery.

Yeah HP's are great if you want to buy a computer that doesn't come with software CD's

oh and everytime you call tech supports its $40. (which with Hp's is very often)

:confused: I have software CD's

The only time I had to call tech support was when the screen bulb died, took it to microcenter had them ship it out for me and get it fixed under warrenty. I never got charged for talking to anyone on the phone

Yeah HP's are great if you want to buy a computer that doesn't come with software CD's

oh and everytime you call tech supports its $40. (which with Hp's is very often)

Mine came several software CD's, including a complete restore disc. And it is free to talk with HP tech support. I contacted them once or twice about a couple questions I had about my laptop. I've never had a problem with it. I would happily reccomend an HP laptop to a friend.

This is the HP i am seriously considering, but the fully loaded model.

I saw one at CC and was VERY happy to see that computer companys realizing people wnat a full size keyboard on thier laptops and at an affordable price.

gotta plug the Toughbooks since I work for them :) but not too sure about the TV Tuner part being part of the deal.

best laptop out there hands down for those that abuse them. just ask any branch of the military....they all use us.

I would also look into Acer's, Toshiba, maybe the Panasonic Toughbook (I think thats pricey though, not sure). Sony's are as good as the next thing, but you will be paying more for the name. I'm sure there are other good brands out there that just aren't popping into my head right now, but I would definately suggest looking into an HP/Compaq first, and go from there.

Mine came several software CD's, including a complete restore disc. And it is free to talk with HP tech support. I contacted them once or twice about a couple questions I had about my laptop. I've never had a problem with it. I would happily reccomend an HP laptop to a friend.

Just wait till you are out of warranty.

Apple is also great with customer service,

My first Macbook Pro had that real bad whine, and they replaced the mainboard for me twice and when that didnt work they let me return it after month without a restocking fee. Second Macbook Pro i bought 31 days before they switched to the Core 2 Duo, the switched them out without a restocking fee. Ive also had a power supply on my Powerbook fry, and they overnighted me a new one no charge to me. all this and ive never purchased apple care. and the entirety of their technical support is based in california so if you have any problems your guaranteed english when you call.

So i ultimately decided to buy one of these.

Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Notebook with Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology - Piano Black

Model: dv9035nr

Let me start off by saying that i did not have a good impression to start out with.

We bought it at the store on friday evening. So we took it home and I opened it as quick as a kid on christmas morning. Went to set everything up and do all the install crap. During this process I started to set up the network settings as well. After this was all done, i restarted the computer (normal shutdown and restart process) and it booted into this AWFUL screaming continuous beep. The only thing i could do was hold the power button for 5 seconds to reboot.

"windows has shut down incorrectly, pick yoru boot option.."

Picked safe mode..

no luck..

after a crap ton of other methods and a call to HP support, we have found ot that the hard drive has failed, and needs to be returned to the store..:rolleyes:

So we have a new one now, and it has been playing World of Warcraft all night like a champ. I have a few other games i want to try on it , but so far its making me VERY happy, now that i have one that is working.

It is also VERY light. 7.9 lbs!! My 15.4 Toshiba is 9.9lbs so that is very nice and its very thin, and aesthetically pleasing. I am having a great time with a full keyboard again as well.

I will up date this thread aftere a few weeks, with more impressions.

I had this laptop and the Toshiba (which is a little more and slightly upgraded from these stats)

Hope this helps anyone else maybe looking for a new gaming laptop but cant afford teh alienware name.

I've had two Alienware rigs now. They run 24/7 for years on end. I've never had a glitch. I really like their service and I like how they are built. Yes, you can build one yourself but you have no warranty, you have no support if you encounter conflicts etc. I don't have time to mess with a down system. With them, I have never had down time in 6 years. I've never had to even reload windows etc, but I always run two hd, with just the os on one.

but to each their own.