Anyone Sold Their Car To Carmax?

Wease

I am having no luck selling my 2000 Lincoln Navigator. I've reduced the price twice and no luck. I hate trading a car in, due to the hit you take, trade in value vs. private party value. I'm considering taking it to Carmax, who will buy your car, even if you are not trading it in on something else. Anyone had experience doing this? Do they just give a standard KBB trade in value? :confused:

Eh, they aren't bad. A friend of mine just traded in her 2004 Jetta GLI and got $14k from them. Which from what I can tell is pretty decent. Her car had 40k on it, scratch up hood and needed some trim replaced, so not the best shape.

Yeah, I figured I might just take it over there tomorrow and see what they'd give me. Private Party value is between $13K - $14K. Trade in is between $10,900 and $11,800. It does have 94K miles on it now, but it's in great shape. Everything works and it needs nothing. Very comfortable ride. I'm asking $13,500, but if I could get something between the trade in and private party value, I'd probably do that right now. Two months I've had it for sale and nothing. There really is nothing wrong with it, so who knows why I can't sell it... :(

I didn't even know they did that, but I'd assume you would at least make out better than a trade. It's at least worth a shot to take it over to them.

They will give you trade in value. Unfortunately, with the larger SUVs right now, they will figure out pretty quick that you are in somewhat of a bind to unload it.

That being said, there are some advantages to selling it to them. You know the check will be good, no more advertising costs, and no more time wasted trying to sell on your own.

Good luck to you.

Yeah, I figured I might just take it over there tomorrow and see what they'd give me. Private Party value is between $13K - $14K. Trade in is between $10,900 and $11,800. It does have 94K miles on it now, but it's in great shape. Everything works and it needs nothing. Very comfortable ride. I'm asking $13,500, but if I could get something between the trade in and private party value, I'd probably do that right now. Two months I've had it for sale and nothing. There really is nothing wrong with it, so who knows why I can't sell it... :(

$2/gal+ gas prices and the fact that the manufacturers are/were offering steep discounts on brand new SUVs/trucks has a lot to do with it. The sales the manufacturers had absolutely KILLED the resale value of used trucks and SUVs.

any dealer can/should buy your Navi for Actual Cash Value. it's going to be book value / auction value no matter where you go. doubt the dollars are going to vary by more than $300 either way.

I don't have my books or online subscriptions any more to get you a good figure, but I'd shop it at 2-3 lots and see what you get. Again, don't expect much above wholesale.

I am having no luck selling my 2000 Lincoln Navigator. I've reduced the price twice and no luck. I hate trading a car in, due to the hit you take, trade in value vs. private party value. I'm considering taking it to Carmax, who will buy your car, even if you are not trading it in on something else. Anyone had experience doing this? Do they just give a standard KBB trade in value? :confused:

CarMax is a joke. I was selling a car to them and everything went well untill they checked the title. It had a salvage tiltle on it and their first offer was $1200 it magically dropped to $125. They said that no one wants a salvaged car. I beg to differ, I sold it that same day three hours later. I informed them of the title and they said it was for their young teen anyways! Try them and see, but more than likely they will try to nickle and dime you...

red1990 Salavage titles are worthless cars...............to a dealer because they cant resell them.

true story, im surprised they offered you anything for a car with a salvaged title. i use to work at graham and they would stay away from salvage cars like the plague then they went to auction or bought a car.