Some stuff I found on chains,anchors,locks

chrismindless

As some of you know, my R6 was stolen a few months back. Well I just bought a new one to replace it.

I have been tossing around ideas on how to secure it. Other than having it in my kitchen, every idea requires a chain, lock, and ground anchor. Yes, a garage is a great place BUT even garages can be broken into. From what I have read, many people chain their bikes up even inside a garage. So I have resolved that if I want to store my bike in the kitchen, I would have to build a 12 foot ramp that aside from being risky to ride up/down, it would also be a PITA to move every frigging day just so I can ride. I think I might want to consider something a bit more convenient but effective. If I do go with a ground anchor, lock, and chain, which ones do I buy? Which styles? How should it be set-up?

I have found a ton of info on all kinds of chains. Lets start there.

Despite what I have heard, what companies have promised, what government agencies have labeled as quality, I keep coming back to the same chain.

Here are the vids first, since Im riddled with ADD and this is getting a bit long:

In this vid, pt1, you can see how every single chain is cut easily.

In the 2nd vid, the almax ver IV chain is tested:

so from these vids, you would think, the almax is the better chain, well, here is the site with some reading. http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Now, Im not saying that this chain is 100% unchoppable ... but I am thinking that most thieves are not going to be able to chop that chain.

So I have found a chain I feel comfortable with. What about locks? Ground Anchors?

Ground anchors, well I am liking this one I found:

http://www.torc-anchors.com/torc-ground-anchor.php?PHPSESSID=88b911fe268ad65e7a88f5cdbf313521

ANd locks:

DUnno ... i havent gotten that far yet, but ill post more when I do.

Yes, if someone wants it, they will get it, BUT they have to break the security in order to get it! And a well secured bike that a thief cannot break is a bike that isnt stolen. I do wonder if theives try to steal my bike and fail if they will fuck it up instead and roll off ...

Discuss

no house, im a student. the parking lot at my building here is where i would install it.

orion, yeah i know. But from other magazines and sources, the almax chains have been rated the best. It is an obvious bias video BUT its unfortunately the only ones I could find. the 1.5m chain weighs 22lbs ... holy hell.

That is one of the thickest chains that I have seen securing a bike. I wonder hom much it would cost to ship one here, probably an arm and a leg. It looks like it would be tough to get through.

I park mine in a garage, lock the handlebars, cover it, add the security devices, and then block it in with my car. I am also looking at getting another disc lock for it. The more obstacles that are put in place the more likely that a thief will simply move on to the next bike.

The only drawback to the floor anchors is the landlord aspect. I can some landlords being a dick about drilling into the ground to secure the anchor. I might go this route as well, nothing like a little extra security.

i think i found a way around the ground anchors ...

there are 3ft tall cement poles in my parking lot protecting all the gas and water lines ....

simply wrap the chain around the pole ... once the chain is run through the wheel and swingarm and the pole, there wont be enough length to slip over the pole ... just a thought and saves me $$$

i think i found a way around the ground anchors ...

there are 3ft tall cement poles in my parking lot protecting all the gas and water lines ....

simply wrap the chain around the pole ... once the chain is run through the wheel and swingarm and the pole, there wont be enough length to slip over the pole ... just a thought and saves me $$$

Unless there is more than one thief, and they lift up that end of your bike to slide it over the pole.

you know what, lustalbert ....

i have actually considered the pole option BUT you make a very good point ... i didnt think of that and now that I have considered that, I am quite pissed that I missed such an obvious point. I should have thought of that ...

guess then that posting this thread was a good thing after all!!!!!

THX for the input! keep it coming, those are some good points!

• 3 weeks later...

Just remember what will be done with your bike if it's stolen. Most likely it will be stripped. So if you have the chain through the front rim or something that will unbolt or can be easily cut, it's not even going to slow the thiefs down. And only joy riders carry bolt cutters. Preofessionals are carrying torches, cutoff saws and sawzall's to section the frame apart to take it in pieces if need be.

Why not just put it in a garage with an alarm on it and put an alarm on the bike and forget it, other than making sure the premimiums and gap insurance is paid up.

Like you said, if they want it, and they know what they are doing, or even if they don't and are motivated, it will be gone.

Are you keeping the bike outside down on campus (OSU)?

Desperado is correct that any real thief who steals bikes will find a way through or around that chain. Ultimately a disc lock will do the same amount of protection. The chain just looks more menacing. The pole idea isn't going to do anything, and without doing a ground anchor/wheel lock all it takes is 3 large gentlemen to pick your bike up and put it in the bed of a truck (this is still applicable with the chain or disc lock)

I worked in the bike industry for about 5 years and I can say that many people try many things, but the best protection is to put good insurance on the bike, because that's the only thing that will help you sleep at night.

My suggestion for storing the bike outside would be to invest in a good all-weather cover, and a disc lock with an alarm on it. The cover and alarm on the disc lock will keep the random drunk or passer by from sitting on your bike and making vroom-vroom noises, and if you're in a populated enough area the alarm on the disc lock MAY somewhat deter a thief to consider a less protected bike.