Beutiful day

Science Abuse

Yeah, the wind kills. Otherwise, I can stand out there half the day without a jacket. Last night, I kept going outside in shorts and tshirt just to stand out in the snow. Oh, and to put a big, naked ass print on the hood of my gf's car as little present for her this morning. :D

Everyone who bitches about being cold needs to stop buying clothes at their Old Navy, Meijer, TSC, or wherever the hell you're getting them. I don't like "being" cold wither, it's just not a problems because I don't wear Carhart or trendy shit. ;)

Mountain Hardwear down coats are on sale like mad at Dicks, go git'cha sum.

You might be asking yourself; "What's this asshat know about warm clothes?"

Here are the current condtions for where I'm spending my weekend:

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/627/wdrnd5.png

Did you know that you can buy underclothes that can be completely hidden, yet retain as much warmth as your average coat/snowpants? I could rock a suit in this weather and stay warm. The best part about these garments being hidden: no one has to know that you're a pussy. ;)

when did carharts stop being warm?

I've owned 2 Carhart coats and a full "suit", all things are relative. You can definitely do better without sacrificing durability. My hardshell jacket has been crumpled up, stuffed, dragged, pelted, drug over rocks, hit by junks of ice, and just outright abused for 4 years (once used it for an aid while climbing, the sleeves took my weight without issue), you'd never know it to look at it. In terms of durability, my Carhart did fine. But it was no where near as warm as other stuff I've owned. On top of that, Carharts are heavy. A Patagonia Down Sweater looks goofy as hell, but it weighs about an ounce (literally), and fits under any jacket, and retains wicked amounts of heat. You can beat a regular Carharts BTU loss with a rain coat and a thick fleece shirt. A down sweater and a wind breaker will keep you warm throughout the entire Ohio winter.

My hardshell jacket has been crumpled up, stuffed, dragged, pelted, drug over rocks, hit by junks of ice, and just outright abused for 4 years .

what kind of hardshell do you have? i absolutely love mine (bonfire snowboarding) but it's not nearly as warm as i'd like it to be. also..what kind of understuff do you get anyways? i'm big on skiing but i always get too cold. i need new gloves this winter..have a reccomendation? lol. :D

what kind of hardshell do you have? i absolutely love mine (bonfire snowboarding) but it's not nearly as warm as i'd like it to be. also..what kind of understuff do you get anyways? i'm big on skiing but i always get too cold. i need new gloves this winter..have a reccomendation? lol. :D

For good, long lasting, warm as hell gloves, be ready to spend $40-60. Marmot makes great stuff in that range, and can be had off the shelf at Outdoor Source in Upper Arlington. I always go with a removable fleece liner, since my hands sweat and it's easier to dry.

For mid layer stuff, fleece is great. Ive gotten my fleece shirts at kohls and such, because fleece is fleece. No cotton, just a poly blend. I couldn't find fleece pant anywhere, so I got a pair of Patagonia long leg fleece pants. Those and a shell have kept my legs warm to -10deg and 60mph wind. You can probably find a fleece shirt for under $40, but pants seem to be more expensive. you wont regret the purchase.

Base layer stuff comes in varying weights, and it's primary function is to get sweat up and away from your skin. "Cotton is death" comes from the fact that it absorbs moisture and holds it next to your skin, this can cause trench foot or hypothermia, etc, its just bad. Base layer stuff is for activity, when your sweating. I absorbs stuff as fast as it dries, i.e. it dispenses with your sweat without letting out much warmth.

If you're not going to be active, stick with fleece, don't sweat the baselayer stuff...HA PUN!. ;)

Screw this weather, bring on the warmth.

I can second on Carharts not being warm. Actually, they suck for warmth; I usually use mine more for a outer coat/wind breaking duties, or for light rain stuff as it can handle a decent amount of moisture before leaking through.

In my line of work, I go in and out of the cold a lot, and can't be constantly stripping and putting on layers of clothing. For pants, I normally go w/ jeans, and my favorite thing under them is my Gap PJ pants. Can't tell they are under there, keep me warm enough without sweating my balls off indoors. Outside, long-sleeve T-shirt, hoodie sweatshirt, and Carhart. I break out my monster coat for the really crappy cold/wind, but haven't had anything close to me wanting that this winter.