Well, I got a new dog!

MrMeanGreen

Actually, the wife did.

Unfortunately, I've had bad experiences with several previous dogs and ended up giving them away. I've found that this is because they were free, and because they were raised by someone else, usually with an abusive history in the background. This led to them doing what they wanted and not being young enough to break in properly after being led astray for so long. Plus, I had a lazy ass ex-wife that didn't do shit to help, although I was gone the majority of the time.

Anyways.

In an effort to better provide home support, my wife now has cut her hours at work and school and was seriously looking into a puppy to raise and for the kids to enjoy. After many weeks of debating, searching, and almost getting a Min-Pin, we decided on a Siberian Husky. Due to their good-natured personalities, badass looks, and overall demeanor is why we settled on the breed. Through the Dispatch, we found a registered AKC and Husky Club breeder in Bellefontaine and went yesterday to look. They had three left, all females, and all different patterns and colors, although all with blue eyes (which was a must for me), and eight weeks old.

AKC paperwork and "test driving" aside, we did the $250 deed and took her home with her, where we decided today to name her Nakita based on the Russian ethnicity.

http://www.darkformula.net/pics/nakita/nakita1.jpg

http://www.darkformula.net/pics/nakita/nakita2.jpg

Jessica has the time to dedicate to her, we have gotten leads and plan on doing obedience training, and will have her chipped and registered shortly. I'm normally adamant about short-hair pets, but this is the exception (or a Malamute or Akita if not a Husky).

Yes, it saddens me to see people on here with free dogs that need a home. Unfortunately, I've been down the "hand-me-down" dog road before and cannot do it. We need to start from scratch, that's what makes or breaks a dog's livelihood. But this time, the friggin Eukanuba dog food is horrendously expensive :o

beautiful dog!

obedience training is really rewarding and can be fun if you go to the right place. i have a border collie who i took through obedience and then agility- it's a course with obstacles and a ton of fun for dogs with a lot of energy that needs burned off. your puppy is absolutely adorable and i'm happy you took the time to pick out the right one for you :)

I had two huskies..My younger one was named Nakita. After having huskies for more than 10 years, here are my suggestions:

Make sure you train the dog to not be on a leash, I made the mistake to have them in a yard that was fenced in and did not train either of my dogs to be off leash. Huskies have the tendency run until they physically cant run any more. If my dogs got out of the yard the oldest dog would run until she went into a seizure.

Be prepared for the shedding! They shed like no other dog I have ever seen!

If it snows outside... good luck getting the dog back in the house!

Nice looking husky! Your dog has a great mask, and eyes.

we have 2 akc golden retrievers. one is 3 yrs and the other a little over a year.

we got the one when he was a year, and the other a puppy. raising them yourself makes for a more obedient dog. and they get adapted to your lifestyle. have fun.

seems to me, $250 was what we sold our pups for 15 yrs ago.

Dark Formula: Did you have a hard time getting the dog in the house today?

We had to carry her in :)

Ben, I've been married for about seven months now. You met her when you stopped by before you moved.