Looking to start career in the auto service business

AI Coupe

One of my kids buds is looking at going to school for doing service work on imports like BMW's or Porsches.

Is there anything available locally to get him started. Or if he has to go out of state what do you know about that is a quality place to start.

I know most of the threads here show you guys don't recommend this kind of job but we need to get him started in school someplace.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ron

i know someone that went to that nascar tech school in NC and then went threw there Audi program. watch out for what he signs up to do, my friend was suposed to be paid to go threw the program and had a job as soon as he got out but got the shaft and has to pay back the school and couldn't find a job anywhere.

I've heard of UNOH and Wyotech, as well as UTI. All are reputable and as far as I know all offer BMW "schools". When I looked into it after HS it was pretty basic, go to school and learn you "basic automotive" stuff and then apply for a manufacterer program within the school, BMW, Porsche, Lexus, MB, etc... then after your done with the manufacterer school you get placed with a dealer somewhere for a year and by contract have to stay there for that year. Like I said I looked all this info up a while ago so I could be off slightly or some things could have changed. Hope this helps.

look for an entry level job at a dealer doing oil changes, lot work, etc. its the hard way but he'll learn more

Yep. That's how I did it. Better than going to a school, if you have really great experience that trumps going to some tech school.

• 3 weeks later...
I would highly recommend UTI (I'm a graduate). I personnally went to the Glendale Heights Campus (Chicago). I think it was a great start and taught me alot of things techs in the field "didn't have time" to bother showing me. Then after that immediatly go to a dealership and stick it out there. I went to a dealership and then left for the aftermarket. I have no chance of getting into a dealership making the money I make now. Dealerships always want brand specific certifications. The aftermarket prefers ASE but will gladly take a dealer certified tech.

I just inrolled in Ohio Technical College, it is strictly an automotive school,in cleaveland, they run their program as well as a BMW step program, it is a really nice school and most programs are 1 1/2 years so it goes quick. the way that the step program works is you take the OTC program then at the end of that program you apply to the BMW step program, and if youre qualified BMW will ship you out to one of their shops (probably in NC) and they pay for the training, 7 months, then when thats completed you start out working for BMW.