Feedback Needed: Business Decision

AudiOn19s

For '07 I've decided it's time to expand the detailing business. I'm not hiring more staff but I'm thinking of expanding my horizons a bit with product sales.

Without going into too much depth I'm thinking of carrying and selling locally my own branded lineup of boutique level detailing products. These are actually the basic products that any DIY detailer who doesn't utilized my detailing services would need to keep their own car in outstanding condition. These are not new products to the market...rather I'm re-packaging some of my very favorite products from use over my years of detailing and selling them as my own simple line-up.

I Do intend on selling Zaino products as well but as I'm not an official Zaino distributer I'm not allowed to advertise the sale of their products. Once this gets rolling feel free to PM me about those products as well...some of you here already leverage me for your Zaino orders anyhow. Because I can't offer Zaino sealants and spray sealants for sale I'll carry a substitute product in it's place for my personal line. These substitutes are not sub-par products they're simply not Zaino but will be offered at a much more attractive pricing structure for those on a budget as any Zaino User knows how expensive the line can get esp. after shipping.

As far as my personal line I'm thinking of the following products, again at a boutique quality and performance level while at prices comparable to standard over-the-counter products.

-Clay Bars

-Paint Cleaner / light polish

-Paint Sealant

-Leather Cleaner

-Leather Conditioner

-Quick Detailing spray

-Detailing Spray sealant

-QUALITY microfiber towels

-Waffle Weave microfiber drying towels

All thoughts and comments welcome.

Andy

I would be happy to purchase these products from you as I have seen your work and know the quality. I would caution that this would be seasonal to an extreme and would probably not do well in the winter. But, after two full years of sales you would probably know exactly where your investment would be.

The only other suggestion I would have is to create a class on how to use the products. Think Pampered Chef or Avon, only for marketted toward guys (cuz we don't have one). This is exactly the business I have been developing in concept but didn't have a product.

I would be happy to purchase these products from you as I have seen your work and know the quality. I would caution that this would be seasonal to an extreme and would probably not do well in the winter. But, after two full years of sales you would probably know exactly where your investment would be.

The only other suggestion I would have is to create a class on how to use the products. Think Pampered Chef or Avon, only for marketted toward guys (cuz we don't have one). This is exactly the business I have been developing in concept but didn't have a product.

I've already put together the clinics from a material standpoint and I'm currently making arrangements with the various car clubs and such to present which is the main drive for the product sales too. Look for an announcement early spring for a CR free detailing clinic too. While I could go crazy and carry all of the major lines from all of the boutique carriers it's not my goal at this point.

The main objective is to get quality products into the hands of those who are the DIY types and provide to them the knowledge of how to properly use these products, meet good people along the way and as is the american way make a couple bucks while doing it. I don't intend to distribute product on a level outside of columbus or even carry every product of every manufacturer...just products that I enjoy using and provide great results.

Further products such as abrasive polishes and compounds may come down the road with more clinics on machine polishing etc., but for now it will remain fairly simple.

Andy

I would love if you would do this.

As you know, most of the higher end detailing products are only available in the Columbus area from online retailers, and this is just a pain and you never know what works or not. The idea of you selling products you use and trust is awesome, because there is so much out there today and so many different products detailers use it is a big confusion anymore. If you would re-market these locally I think you would have a large market from local detailers and enthusiasts.

Also, I know you said clinics, but I am not sure what you meant. I like the idea I see a lot of people on Autopia do about showing how to properly use the PC and rotary in car clubs and such. I think that is awesome as those things are hard to just read online about and teach yourself. It would be awesome to see someone do it and get some hands on experience with a professional.

Also, I know you said clinics, but I am not sure what you meant. I like the idea I see a lot of people on Autopia do about showing how to properly use the PC and rotary in car clubs and such. I think that is awesome as those things are hard to just read online about and teach yourself. It would be awesome to see someone do it and get some hands on experience with a professional.

Kevin,

The clinics that I'm putting together teach basics of PROPER carcare. You'd may or may not be bored to tears in these classes as I know you frequent Autopia and have the basics down.

Topics such as PC and Rotary use would not be tought in these clinics rather they would be instructional on proper washing and drying technique, using proper materials and the general order of operation when it comes to car care in general (wash, clay, wash, dry, polish, seal, dress).

The design of the classes would be for the mass public as I'm trying not to limit audiences at this point, but advanced classes may come down the road if I see demand for them.

Andy

I'm In I want to attend. My car is so filthy, I am dying to clean it but can't.

Hey Andy I have a quick question, I am having severe caking of brake dust on my wheels, I have to remove the wheels to get it all off and it sucks. It collects on the flat part between the spokes of the rim and cakes on like a centerfuge. Are there any cleaners you would recomend or tools you know of that I can use? My rims are a bitch to clean. I was thinking of that mini ball thing you put on a drill, or is that thing worthless? ANy help would be great.

I'd hit up the clinic depending on the price. I'd also be willing to donate my car for it too. My car has an assload of surface scratches that I'd love to figure out how to get out :).

I'd also buy the products too.

The clinics will be free to those attending. I'm working on locations in the next couple of weeks.

Andy, Here is my biggest fear for you

-If you sell products that you use, and everyone else can buy.....why am I going to buy them from you instead of auto zone or pep boys or the internet, etc? How are you going to leverage your companies competitive advantage by grouping together products? Will you have the price advantage? Convienence? Or.....(hypothetically)do you give access to your video collection of how to properly detail a vehicle, with proper instructions that you can watch on video? Bottom line: How are you going to add value to everyday products?

I think that doing a car show/detail shop is a damn good idea. I think it gives you a proper venue to not only showcase your skills as a detailer, but also give them the tools to show people how to do it themselves......and I think in the long run, some folks will have more money than time and have you do the job.

Andy, Here is my biggest fear for you

-If you sell products that you use, and everyone else can buy.....why am I going to buy them from you instead of auto zone or pep boys or the internet, etc? How are you going to leverage your companies competitive advantage by grouping together products? Will you have the price advantage? Convienence? Or.....(hypothetically)do you give access to your video collection of how to properly detail a vehicle, with proper instructions that you can watch on video? Bottom line: How are you going to add value to everyday products?

I think that doing a car show/detail shop is a damn good idea. I think it gives you a proper venue to not only showcase your skills as a detailer, but also give them the tools to show people how to do it themselves......and I think in the long run, some folks will have more money than time and have you do the job.

Great questions Tommy,

The competative advantage in my own line comes in hand picked products that have worked well for me, are easy to use and have outstanding results. These products cannot be had locally and require internet shopping, larger shipping costs and the wait associated with ordering from the internet...AND my products will be offered at a price point at or below pricing on the national scale.

While I don't have a storefront as of yet, local picup for no charge will be available. The alternative is small shipping fees for packages that should arrive next day within town, OR a small delivery charge for yours truely to stop out to deliver and answer any questions customers may have.

For me, the most exciting product that I can offer is quality microfiber towels. While more and more microfiber is available locally it's still not what I'd consider to be "Paint Quality" microfiber. Most of the light scratching and marring that happens to cars comes through normal washing and drying of the cars with dirty wash mits and harsh towels. My hopes are to help eliminate this with the offerings of good towels and applicators.

Top that with the fact that I'm only a phone call, or PM away for any additional questions and I feel that I've built a good bit of value into the brand.

Andy

• 8 months later...

Sorry about bumping an old thread, but I was searching to help someone out I know in the Columbus area looking to get his car detailed for the winter and knew of Andy. We've never talked or met but knew of your work from occasionally checking the site. Anyways, maybe he'll contact you or not, not sure. I offered him my services since I'm heavily into detailing as well and have all the supplies but my time isn't as flexible since I live in Cleveland.

Anyways, your business idea sounds great. I know that all the products I enjoy must be ordered on-line which can be a PITA but I've come to deal with it. I also found a reputable on-line dealer that I've come to use almost exclusively, http://www.detailedimage.com . Also you mention repackaging your favorite products. My concern is wouldn't you run into legal infringements? I can't imagine simply dumping say, Poorboy's EX-P into another bottle and calling it 'AudiOn19s liquid sealant' and everything will be fine. If you really took off and Poorboy's caught wind of your dealing I think shit could really take place.

Otherwise everything sounds great. I searched for a place that I trusted to touch my car and couldn't find one. So I took it upon myself to learn my own techniques. I think every city needs a detailer like yourself.

I'm In I want to attend. My car is so filthy, I am dying to clean it but can't.

Hey Andy I have a quick question, I am having severe caking of brake dust on my wheels, I have to remove the wheels to get it all off and it sucks. It collects on the flat part between the spokes of the rim and cakes on like a centerfuge. Are there any cleaners you would recomend or tools you know of that I can use? My rims are a bitch to clean. I was thinking of that mini ball thing you put on a drill, or is that thing worthless? ANy help would be great.

SpaceGhost, I noticed your question went unanswered. You may have found an answer already to your rim problems but this has been my routine in keeping my BBS CH's cleanable. I have a BMW which are commonly known for their break dust issues so I quickly had to find a way so that I wasn't breaking my a$$ to keep my rims clean.

I strongly suggest these 2 products; Poorboy's Spray & Rinse and Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. To start think of your rims as any other painted surface on your car, they need the same treatments to stay easily cleanable.

First I would wash them as best as you can with Dawn, then follow with the S&R. I only use the S&R twice a year since it's a pretty strong product and will strip the sealant off the rims. Then if you have any left over clay you used on your car use that to remove the most stubborn surface contaminants. I then use the wheel sealant 3-4 times a year. You could use a normal car wax but the wheel sealant is formulated specifically for rim applications to withstand the heat and repel break dust. It will also last twice as long.

Your rims should now be very clean and shiny. You'll also notice how easily the break dust will come off during washes. I simple swipe with a MF towel will clean them in seconds let alone a light washing. This treatment will easily last your 4-6 months if not longer if you follow a moderate upkeep routine.

Here are a few pics of my rims just to show you the effect...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/gb1727/DSC_0403.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/gb1727/IMG_0552.jpg

I do nothing but lightly rub them clean while cleaning my car. I spend maybe 10-15 minutes tops if there a little dirty. Road tar and asphalt rocks come off easily as well.