Need new tires....

PrincessPratt

If mostly on the road the 2 cts are beneficial too. How many people do you know that ride mostly street, ans wear the edges of their tires out first... Yea. No one. You cant. but if you like hitting the corners, the softer compound is more beneficial.

It's not really the price range per se. I just want quality tires that are going to last and serve their full purpose. Everyone that's ridden with me know that I am extremely slow in the corners (b/c I'm scared still after 6 years of riding) but on straits I will top out my bike. I do alot of riding back and forth to work in the summer but I really want to get to the track SEVERAL times this next season. I'm not going to be tearing it up in the corners and wearing down my tires unless for some reason i get an epiphany and correct my fear of corners. ;) Thus, I want something with quality that will get me through at least my first track day. B/C if for some reason I find I love the track days i will switch my suzuki over to a track bike only (b/c its such a pain in the butt to make it track ready and i'm lazy like that) and purchase a liter bike for the street. I know that's wordy but I'm extremely long winded. I may go with flounder's suggestion???? He's been on the track tons and I assume he is somewhat cost conscious, right? hehe.

It's great that you are doing some track time. You'll have so much fun! I did my first track day at Mid-Ohio with STT this past season and I fell in love. I had my Buell Firebolt XB9R at the time with Pirelli's on it. It was a great experience. I want to take my gixxer 600 next season and see how that goes. I tend to be slower in the tight corners too, but with the new GSXR600 I am finding more comfort. The bike seems to lean and hold a line easier than on the Firebolt. The tires I have now are the Battlax B16's. They came on the bike. No track time on them, but they feel great.

Go with the track experts here. They seem to know a quality track tire.

Have Fun!

If mostly on the road the 2 cts are beneficial too. How many people do you know that ride mostly street, ans wear the edges of their tires out first... Yea. No one. You cant. but if you like hitting the corners, the softer compound is more beneficial.

Not me. That would be insane, but I'll say I've seen a few hard core riders come close to it. If all you do is twisties, but you have to slab to get there typically.

Edited by Mandova

There is no use for 95% of street riders to get a dual compound tire other then the mental idea of a better tire. I ran regular PP on the track for my first 3 track days and that includes running in Intermediate twice and I never had any problems on the street with them either and that includes 2 trips to deals gap. I now have those exact tires, Yeah the PP I used on my 750 for track are now mounted on my street 1K. Lets say this. If I were buying a set of tires for my street 1K, I would buy regular PP and save my money.

I cant comment on the Bridgestones or Dunlops as I am partial to Michelin at this point.

+1 on the Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs. I put quite a few miles on my last set (circa 8K). The thing with dual compound tires such as the 2CT (and the Pirelli Diablo) is that the center of the tire carcass is composed of medium compound (for durability and traction) while the shoulder/corners of the tire are composed of a much softer compound for greater traction while cornering. As afore stated in this thread, successful cornering is more of a mental task than anything. You must brake early, and have confidence in WHATEVER set of tires that you're running, before leaning and accelerating. However, I've found the Pilot Powers 2CTs to be a very "confidence inspiring" set of tires.

You must brake early, and have confidence in WHATEVER set of tires that you're running, before leaning and accelerating. However, I've found the Pilot Powers 2CTs to be a very "confidence inspiring" set of tires.

Why are you bringing brake into a conversation about tires? Her braking wont have any effect on her tire choice or vice versa.

Whats the price of the PP and 2CTs? But i also agree that a lot of it is mental.

I've seen sets of the 2CTs on eBay ranging from $289-$335.

Pilot Powers I've seen hovering around $270/pr.

Lucky for PrincessP (or anyone looking for a front tire), I have a brand new Pilot Power 2CT sitting in the garage that I'm looking to unload. Then all she would have to do is pay for a rear which may not be that bad of a deal.

I've seen sets of the 2CTs on eBay ranging from $289-$335.

Pilot Powers I've seen hovering around $270/pr.

Lucky for PrincessP (or anyone looking for a front tire), I have a brand new Pilot Power 2CT sitting in the garage that I'm looking to unload. Then all she would have to do is pay for a rear which may not be that bad of a deal.

How about 265 shipped for PP

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=678

How about you ask nick about Conti's at the track. I do believe they cost him a bike and an ambulance ride.

POS IMO for track use.

i didnt have anyproblems with them at all bunch of guys here in coshocton use them for hard street.

burn out boy used some pos shinkos for the track and was flying!!!! maybe rider error and not so much tires??

I used conti races soft front/medium rear....grip was good starting off, however I only used them for two track days and by the second day there were moving and providing horrible grip. I am not the only one that has this issue with them. They definitely didn't last as long as michelins and started to tear and move. I am positive that the tires are not completely at fault for the wreck, however I feel they were part of it. I will tell you I will never ride on them again at the track. Michelin is the only tire I will use. This topic is just like anything else, not everyone is going to agree or have the same experience with a particular item. Just because I am partial to michelins, doesn't mean it is going to be right for you, and vice versa for any brand. Each tire has its pro's and con's. You need to truly think of what you are going to use the tire for and what you need out of the tires. Personally sarah, I am going to agree with Aaron on this...you don't need 2ct's. Save the money and buy a set of PP's, or something of comparable quality/pricing.

Edited by APCh8r

i didnt have anyproblems with them at all bunch of guys here in coshocton use them for hard street.

burn out boy used some pos shinkos for the track and was flying!!!! maybe rider error and not so much tires??

Hard street and track are not even comparible, dont try.

probably rider error and tire issue but I wouldnt trust them. Shinko's either for the track.

im open to any tire i just wanted to say that the contis held up great for me at the track and on the road i ride hard on both the track and the street im not mind blowing fast but i can hold my own and if someone is going to go to the track only a few times and the street on the rest of the tire and not try a qualifing time would be ok on them. and save a few bucks in the process

No offense, but until you actually do a track day and improve your speed and conering, a regular set of pilot powers will do you just fine. save the extra $20-$40 and do not buy the 2ct.

I did 3-4 track days on a set of regular Pilot powers.

Flounder is correct. Buy the pilot powers.They have a good compound and there profile helps to smooth the turn in of the bike.Don't waste money on daul compound or race compound tires until your skill set improves.

Another helpful hint and hopefully Lizard will agree, Have your suspension set by someone who knows what they are doing and that you have confidance in so when you get out there you will have faith in your bike and can concentrate on your riding.