Gauging Interest: Mid Ohio Track Day

schmuckingham

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Astars... I Crashed in my Astars last year HARD..... no rips, no tears, nothing ... held up like a champ.. Just a little dirtier now. :) The vid of my crash is great. :)

Nick's teknic blew out multiple seams when he crashed. :(

yeah for some reason I am kinda hesitant on getting teknic, sidi, or motogp gear. When I watch the races it always seems the best stuff is dainese astars and the rstiachi stuff it always looks to hold up the best. The other brands look like someone took a machete to them after they have gone down but I have seen rossi stoner and lorenzo wearing there crashed leathers the next day.

I have an Astars... I Crashed in my Astars last year HARD..... no rips, no tears, nothing ... held up like a champ.. Just a little dirtier now. :) The vid of my crash is great. :)

One seam, left elbow

I've seen top shelf suits blow out and piece of shit suits hold up fine. Flunder and Nick's crashes were completely different. Flounder was mostly off track and Nick's was mostly pavement with a bike on top of him. Poor examples...

If you also think what you see on TV in the races is the same as what you buy, think again. Also realize that the suits riders wear are usually sometimes disposable. Meaning, they get replaced if they hit the ground.

There are a lot of good brands out there. AStar isn't always the best. It also isn't always the worse, but there are examples where one might think different.

Bottom line is buy what fits you best, has good features like how the seams are sewn, where the seams are located, thickness of the leather, type of stitching, etc.

Like stated above, you can get really good deals on the internet right now. Research can net you a damn good suit for little money.

I've seen top shelf suits blow out and piece of shit suits hold up fine. Flunder and Nick's crashes were completely different. Flounder was mostly off track and Nick's was mostly pavement with a bike on top of him. Poor examples...

If you also think what you see on TV in the races is the same as what you buy, think again. Also realize that the suits riders wear are usually sometimes disposable. Meaning, they get replaced if they hit the ground.

There are a lot of good brands out there. AStar isn't always the best. It also isn't always the worse, but there are examples where one might think different.

Bottom line is buy what fits you best, has good features like how the seams are sewn, where the seams are located, thickness of the leather, type of stitching, etc.

Like stated above, you can get really good deals on the internet right now. Research can net you a damn good suit for little money.

I still want to kick ^ in the junk even though I agree with him

I still want to kick ^ in the junk even though I agree with him

The worse part of it is that I come across as a know it all to a lot of people. With over 18 years of riding and 14 of that racing motorcycles and working in the industry, I have a bunch a worthless knowledge.

But, being right over you makes it all well worth it.

You around for lunch tomorrow? We ought to see what poor boy Drew is doing...

The worse part of it is that I come across as a know it all to a lot of people. With over 18 years of riding and 14 of that racing motorcycles and working in the industry, I have a bunch a worthless knowledge.

But, being right over you makes it all well worth it.

You around for lunch tomorrow? We ought to see what poor boy Drew is doing...

Yeah just let me know.. Im up for some food... just give me a call or text me.

nah i would rather you give me the straight up truth rather than b.s. and opinionated lies about why your brand of suit is better. i know you know what you are talking about and thank you for giving us your input.

I'm pretty tall too Im about 34-35 inseam.(long legs, short body.. lol)

If I end up coming up to cbus this winter I could bring mine and let you check em out. I'm sure I'll head up there at some point. I had to send mine back three times cuz I ordered the wrong size. I wish I would have had the chance to try one on first LOL it took almost a month to finally get ones that fit..

That's what I'm afraid of....

When I was doin' my homework for a pair of pants earlier this summer, I'd heard/read several places that Teknic Chicanes were developing a reputation of bursting seams on impact. Know firsthand of a buddy on my XX board

When I was doin' my homework for a pair of pants earlier this summer, I'd heard/read several places that Teknic Chicanes were developing a reputation of bursting seams on impact. Know firsthand of a buddy on my XX board

yes and i've also heard of a-stars and dianese bursting seams on impact.

point is that it can happen to anyone no matter what brand of suit they are wearing, just get whatever fits the best.

(and don't crash)

Hell yeah it is. I didn't have to try or concentrate at all the 3 times I've crashed on the street over the years...

I am an equal oppurtunity crasher.

Street

Track

Solo

Assisted

Suzuki

Honda

Yamaha (still working on Kawasaki)

BMW

Low side

High Side

Rain

Dry

I would be very interested in this depending on cost and camping the night before would definately be in my scope. Again, it all comes down to cost and the date. City counsel meetings on Monday night and Pool league on Wednesday. Other then that.....BEER ME!!!

I would be very interested in this depending on cost and camping the night before would definately be in my scope. Again, it all comes down to cost and the date. City counsel meetings on Monday night and Pool league on Wednesday. Other then that.....BEER ME!!!

ditto

why is flounder saying a one piece is better??

ive never heard one is better?

Think of it this way. The weak link in a two piece suit is the zipped area that connects the pants to the jacket. When you crash, tumbling is usually involved whether on or off the track surface. Tumbling can easily grab the leather and pull at it. The zipper area is a weak zone and can tear open.

Not really safer in a sense. I mean, I've seen guys get punctured through leather one pieces... It's just that exposed ANYTHING can result in injury and exposed mid sections might look sexy, but not so much when you have road rash...