Diesel Fuel

John Bruh

has anyone heard the news on diesel fuel. the epa is lowering the sulfer in the fuel to make it less pollutant. I'm just wondering what their going to be doing because this new diesel is not going to be compatable with the old diesel motors. just wondering because im about to buy an 04 f-350 king ranch diesel.

Why's it not going to be compatible? Last I knew, sulfur wasn't a lubricant, and didn't really add much to the combustion process. I have heard a couple of rumblings about ULSD knocking old gunk and deposits loose (same arguments for not changing high-mileage cars from dino oil to PAE synthetics), but nothing saying it wouldn't work.

You're misinformed. The new diesel, which is already out (15ppm sulfur, ULSD) is indeed compatable with all older diesels. Depending on who you ask/trust you may want to add some lubricity to the new ULSD fuel for the older trucks. The newer trucks with '07 emissions, are required to use the new ULSD, and may be harmed with the old LSD, or previous incarnations of the fuel. The old fuel would likely clog the new style piezo injectors, and soot filters in the exhaust.

i was told there was going to need to be a lubericant additive for the old diesels, but what about the off road fuel. is that going to stay the same or are they going to lessen it as well, and i know its illegal to run on the street, but why?

cause shit if its going to be better than the new fuel ill put a damn fuel tank in the bed and run that shit.

i was told there was going to need to be a lubericant additive for the old diesels, but what about the off road fuel. is that going to stay the same or are they going to lessen it as well, and i know its illegal to run on the street, but why?

cause shit if its going to be better than the new fuel ill put a damn fuel tank in the bed and run that shit.

The off-road agricultural diesel is illegal to run on public roads because it isn't taxed. It's no different than what you can buy at the pump other than the red dye in it. You might be able to find some 500ppm LSD that's still around in the off-road tanks, but soon enough you'll only find ULSD no matter where you go. The fuel companies are supposedly adding lubricants to the fuel to make up for what was lost in the sulfur removal process. It's not the sulfur that was lubricating the fuel, but the removal process lesses the lubricity along with reducing the Cetane (energy) in good ol' #2. I've noticed a good decrease in mileage since the ULSD came out, and I add Howes additive to every tank.

The new diesel kills the mileage on the pre 07 diesel truck. I was getting 14mpg city and 26mpg freeway now I get 11mpg and 19mpg.

Just curious when you noticed the mpg drop. Is it only in the winter? Or is it throughout the year with the new fuel?

I always drop a few mpg in the winter due to the winter blend fuel.

Just curious when you noticed the mpg drop. Is it only in the winter? Or is it throughout the year with the new fuel?

ULSD was introduced in 07 hence the reduced gas mileage might not only be due to additives but to the colder-denser intake charge, and high viscocity and parasitic losses due to cold components.

Your old diesels will run ULSD just fine. typically if adding lubricants is reserved for engines running fuel that is not #2 diesel (stuff at the pump). If you are concerned with it I know there are some manufacturers that offer fuel filters that release lubricant into the fuel.

Everything that I've read said that the energy content of the fuel is reduced by less than 1.5%. No one will really be able to notice the change.

Just a word of the wise, while we are on the topic. If you drive a diesel check your fuel filter to make sure its not plugged. I've seen/heard of quite a few diesel owners having filters clog prematurely because when the old fuel was vacated from tanks and filled with the new ULSD diesel it kinda stirred up all the junk at the bottom of the tanks and it gets into your system. Might just be a matter of waiting a few months until everything gets settled down again or used.

The new diesel kills the mileage on the pre 07 diesel truck. I was getting 14mpg city and 26mpg freeway now I get 11mpg and 19mpg.

What do you know about diesels???

The off-road agricultural diesel is illegal to run on public roads because it isn't taxed. It's no different than what you can buy at the pump other than the red dye in it. You might be able to find some 500ppm LSD that's still around in the off-road tanks, but soon enough you'll only find ULSD no matter where you go. The fuel companies are supposedly adding lubricants to the fuel to make up for what was lost in the sulfur removal process. It's not the sulfur that was lubricating the fuel, but the removal process lesses the lubricity along with reducing the Cetane (energy) in good ol' #2. I've noticed a good decrease in mileage since the ULSD came out, and I add Howes additive to every tank.

I suppose you believe the Kerosene is the same way???

No it wasn't this winter. I know winter blend fuel cuts into mpg. This was prior to this winter. The UDF off Georgesville rd has had the new fuel since August. That is where I usually get my fuel because they are at least four cents cheaper.

The older diesels run fine on the ulsd. The sulfer being removed causes the fuel to not lubricate like the older fuel. If you want to check and see if you need to add lubricants to your diesel fuel instead of taking people's word on it call Columbus Diesel Supply. They will tell you what you need to know about the new fuel. 614-445-8391