Housebreaking a pup

Sully

when you come home from work and find dog shit on the floor, and then punish him, he doesnt know what you are punishing him for. the mess and the act (of pooping on the floor) are two separate things to him. he associates the punishment with whatever happens immediately prior to the punishment (i.e. you coming home).

you may say "but he knows, because he cowers when i come home"

if you are having this problem, then you apparently arent crate training, and are usually coming home to accidents. like i said before he associates the punishment with whatever immediately precedes it. in the dogs mind, when you walk through the door, he will be punished. he doesnt know why, just that its gonna happen.

when you come home from work and find dog shit on the floor, and then punish him, he doesnt know what you are punishing him for. the mess and the act (of pooping on the floor) are two separate things to him. he associates the punishment with whatever happens immediately prior to the punishment (i.e. you coming home).

you may say "but he knows, because he cowers when i come home"

if you are having this problem, then you apparently arent crate training, and are usually coming home to accidents. like i said before he associates the punishment with whatever immediately precedes it. in the dogs mind, when you walk through the door, he will be punished. he doesnt know why, just that its gonna happen.

Interesting that you know how a dog thinks...

It doesn't really matter what you think of this method. The fact of the matter: my buddy's dog is perfectly trained, kind, playful and healthy.

I think his point is that while your friends method may have worked for his pup, it's not the most effective nor best way for the overall development of the pup. I think we all know that it's not simply the end result that matters.

It doesn't really matter what you think of this method. The fact of the matter: my buddy's dog is perfectly trained, kind, playful and healthy.

My Shelty shit in the house once. (other than her being sick and messing on a wood floor) I rubbed her nose in it I yelled NO, I beat her ass, took her outside and made her pee and poop outside, I didn't let her in untill she did both. Every time I come home she tackles me, so I don't know what others are talking about comming home being punished. Now she can go 9+ hrs and not pee or shit, and we let her go anywhere she wants in the house. No cage. She is smart as fuck though. She knows a lot of commands now. She is 5YO. The peta Members here will have a problem with this but it worked for us. She is a happy and spoiled dog. She is a very controllable dog, I don't need a leash to walk her and even if another dog comes along barking she will stay with me and not even look at the other dog. All the while the owner of the other dog is struggling to hold their hyper dog back.

Some of you are getting bent outta shape over different strategies. Like raising kids, some people prefer to use a pacifier and other don't. I didn't use them on my kids and they turned out fine.

Same with dogs. Rub their nose in it, don't rub their nose in it, it differs. All dog breeds are not the same, thus you cannot be absolute in what tactics worked for you versus what worked for your friend. Even with the same breed, personalities will dictate the characteristics of training effectiveness.

My idea is to listen to what everyone here says, read the provided links, and try YOUR ideal training and discipline to find what works.

My Shelty shit in the house once. (other than her being sick and messing on a wood floor) I rubbed her nose in it I yelled NO, I beat her ass, took her outside and made her pee and poop outside, I didn't let her in untill she did both. Every time I come home she tackles me, so I don't know what others are talking about comming home being punished. Now she can go 9+ hrs and not pee or shit, and we let her go anywhere she wants in the house. No cage. She is smart as fuck though. She knows a lot of commands now. She is 5YO. The peta Members here will have a problem with this but it worked for us. She is a happy and spoiled dog. She is a very controllable dog, I don't need a leash to walk her and even if another dog comes along barking she will stay with me and not even look at the other dog. All the while the owner of the other dog is struggling to hold their hyper dog back.

that has always worked for us, from our rotweiler (sp) to 3 labs, chihuahua, and the various mixed mutts. just have to be firm not mean, let them know you love them and all that but are the "leader" of the pack

I didn't read the entire thread, but I know you said you came home and the puppy pooped in his crate. I ask, what size crate do you have him in? It should only be big enough for him to lay down and turn around in. If you bought a bigger one for him to "grow into" then best bet would to get a piece of plywood and make a partioner so it's only so big for him now. A dog doesn't want to lay in his own stool.

Some of you are getting bent outta shape over different strategies. Like raising kids, some people prefer to use a pacifier and other don't. I didn't use them on my kids and they turned out fine.

Same with dogs. Rub their nose in it, don't rub their nose in it, it differs. All dog breeds are not the same, thus you cannot be absolute in what tactics worked for you versus what worked for your friend. Even with the same breed, personalities will dictate the characteristics of training effectiveness.

My idea is to listen to what everyone here says, read the provided links, and try YOUR ideal training and discipline to find what works.

Yeah that is what I was going to say before I read this. +1

What I did for my dog might not work well on other dogs. But my dog was never scared when I came home and always ran to me when I walked in the door. That training I did for a few months paid off. She always would hold it until someone came home, or she would stand by the door when she needed out. And she rarely would ever run away when I let her outside by herself. She did this her whole life. God rest Lady's soul in heaven now... :(

Interesting that you know how a dog thinks...

lol knowing how a dog thinks isnt very hard actually... now people... thats the hardest one.

I think his point is that while your friends method may have worked for his pup, it's not the most effective nor best way for the overall development of the pup. I think we all know that it's not simply the end result that matters.

^

lol knowing how a dog thinks isnt very hard actually... now people... thats the hardest one.

^

What is my dog thinking right now?

And as said earlier, different techniques work on different dogs so don't act all canine on me and try to say what is best.