It's official - GM has lost

copperhead

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the thread title should be "It's Official - GM is losing".

Maybe they'll step it up a few notches. Any company that can still make LEV vehicles with 500+ hp and pushrod technology can run over Toyota if they really tried.

It wouldn't surprise me if any auto maker is capable of that feat.

However,

The ability to build an engine has very little bearing on the ability to earn market trust, sell product and make profit. Instead of dumping money into said engine, they might be better off making alternators and starters that don't fail every 75,000 miles or less, dash's that don't rattle, and interiors that appear to be high quality.

They might have more money to push into this kind of thing if they weren't getting fucked on paying pensions and giving upper management huge bonuses for cutting jobs.

Those are sales for one quarter, not an entire year.

LOL

Nearly 100,000 head start in the first quarter is quite a beating :).

Especially considering Toyota isn't a threat in the industrial/construction market yet. When that happens..FLUSH

I can see the new ad's now.

"Buy any new GM and we'll take 0 Down, 0% Interest and we'll make the first 12 payments for you PLEASE JUST BUY A DAMN CAR FROM US! "

- I see tons of CTS's on the road. Very common car, actually. I've seen a number of V's as well.

- Toyota in the industrial truck market. PPPAAAAHHHHLEASE. A single 1/2 ton truck isn't jack, and I'm sure they know it. No one that does any serious towing or hauling would even look at an import truck.

- GM is lacking in the plain, jane, every day car market. The Toyota brand offers tons of "desireable" plain, jane, money making cars. They offer a few decent truck/SUV choices. As far as exciting cars go, there are a couple Lexus models to mention, but NOTHING from the Toyota nameplate (anyone that says the MR2 Spyder needs kicked in the nuts).

As far as exciting cars go, there are a couple Lexus models to mention, but NOTHING from the Toyota nameplate (anyone that says the MR2 Spyder needs kicked in the nuts).

That's something that Toyota loyalists have been saying for several years now. Obviously they have found what works, but it is sad that they aren't building anything fun right now.

LOL

Nearly 100,000 head start in the first quarter is quite a beating :).

Especially considering Toyota isn't a threat in the industrial/construction market yet. When that happens..FLUSH

I can see the new ad's now.

"Buy any new GM and we'll take 0 Down, 0% Interest and we'll make the first 12 payments for you PLEASE JUST BUY A DAMN CAR FROM US! "

Um, they still sold 2.35 million vehicles. I don't think that's going to happen. They cut their fleet sales dramatically this year, which will hurt their numbers. Saab had a bad quarter. Saturn had an awesome quarter and is gaining market share.

As I've said in every other thread about GM: Their product is just as good or better than anything on the market, and in the areas you think it's not, it will be in the upcoming model releases.

Copperhead - GM Powertrain is no slouch. They have highly advanced fluid modeling for airflow calculations, the most advanced dynomometer equipment, and some of the most intelligent minds in the industry.

I have over 146,000 miles on my Oldsmobile and have never had any of the components that you speak of fail. Other then routine service, I have had next to nothing to fix on that car. In fact, most of the stuff you mentioned probably isn't even made by GM.

It's obvious that people are willing to pay more for better cars, the big 3 better step it up, and soon.

It's obvious that you havent given a domestic a legitimate chance for quite some time.

I have over 146,000 miles on my Oldsmobile and have never had any of the components that you speak of fail. Other then routine service, I have had next to nothing to fix on that car. In fact, most of the stuff you mentioned probably isn't even made by GM.

And I have a Buick in my garage right now with 107,000 on it that I just put a water pump on so it would quit spewing coolant all over the optispark, it has a window out of the track, and has no third gear. What's your point?

And saying that a specific part on the car isn't even made by GM doesn't change the fact that it is on the car, and helps to create the bad image. If it's a problem, then get a different supplier that won't give you garbage.

This really disappoints me. If the interiors didn't look like something made by rubbermaid (as previously stated), and the marketing was better and if they made something people wanted...well, I wouldn't mind buying one. They need to import Australian models, Ford Falcon, Holdens, and keep the body the same!! Modify the emissions! Double production there and import them here. I'd love to have a Falcon XR6 Turbo.

This really disappoints me. If the interiors didn't look like something made by rubbermaid (as previously stated), and the marketing was better and if they made something people wanted...well, I wouldn't mind buying one. They need to import Australian models, Ford Falcon, Holdens, and keep the body the same!! Modify the emissions! Double production there and import them here. I'd love to have a Falcon XR6 Turbo.

See this is part of the problem. Everything you said about interiors is true...3-4 years ago! Sit in a Ford Fusion and make your same comment. Drive a Saturn Aura or any midline GM product. Refinement is there! I challenge you to just go look at cars for a day and make your same statement about interiors.

The domestics will make a comeback. A little revolution now and then is a good thing. I thought it was funny that there are incentives already on the "BIG BAD" TUNDRA. Toyota has tried 3 times to play with us in the truck arena and have come up short each time. They keep getting closer, but haven't knocked it out of the park yet.

I hate cobalt interiors. True, the Saturn's are pretty nice.

Now as in terms of mechanical reliability, my father's S-10 Blazer has never, ever broken down. Now a repair shop had messed it up and actuated the security system, but that's it.